Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vordakk

Donut sectors in IWADs?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew which levels in either Ultimate DOOM or DOOM 2 make use of donut sectors. I am trying to learn about them by reading the wiki and experimenting but it would be cool to see how id used them as well.

Ah, thank you. I think I pretty much get how they work now. I wonder if there are any in DOOM 2 that I'm forgetting?

I don't think there are any in the Doom 2 IWAD. It doesn't seem id had much use for this feature in general.

It was probably an experiment in trying to push the Vanilla Doom linetype system to do something it wasn't really meant to, in order to avoid having to come up with a more complex system or to enhance it.

IIRC old editors included a mysterious linetype that doesn't work in Doom v1.9, that moved both the floor and ceiling of a sector at the same time. To point to another related experiment, though one that end up being removed from the game.

Coincidently, both of the above have arguably been accomplished by source ports, literally; Doomsdays XG pioneered a system that allows one to build their own Doom style line types that affect multiple sectors in different ways and I believe Boom pioneered the ability for a sectors floor and ceiling to move at the same time.

Vermil said:

I believe Boom pioneered the ability for a sectors floor and ceiling to move at the same time.

Except the Boom developers used || instead of | and as a result only either the floor or the ceiling moved; not both.

Strife and Doom 64 feature split doors that open in both directions. Hexen features pillars that are pretty much the same thing in reverse.

For the sake of completeness, there aren't any in Plutonia, and two in Evilution:

• map 20 sector 45, a big silver thing with a plasma gun on it
• map 21 sector 68, a rocket launcher in a nukage pit.

Gez said:

Except the Boom developers used || instead of | and as a result only either the floor or the ceiling moved; not both.

Haha yes. In Boom there's four versions of the ceiling raise linedef that are supposed to move the floor as well and the only one that actually works is the WR type (151.) However if you double-click the 186 SR type the floor will move if the ceiling is still in motion! The code for type 40 W1 looks like it has the demo_compatibility / not demo_compatibility clauses the wrong way round, but that might be intentional.

Vermil said:

IIRC old editors included a mysterious linetype that doesn't work in Doom v1.9, that moved both the floor and ceiling of a sector at the same time.

Was it really that old? Or was it a Boom upgrade by any chance? Never heard of that as a vanilla feature in any version.