Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Do you like Doom 64's music?

Recommended Posts

Doom 64 Is A Great game, music sucked though, they should've used Quake II music :P. however, the song that you hear when you defeated Mother Demon is awesome (Intro music of PSX doom).
And the intro music of Doom 64 is also quite good, but it's the fact i just don't like ambiance/spooky tracks, although I'm fighting my own comment here with one song, which is both and happens to be one of my favorite songs. (For Those Wondering What Track, It's Nocturne Of Shadows From Artificial Fear)

Then Again, I'm Also Saying PSX Music Sucked. True, except for Club Doom & The Intro tune those are the only acceptable PSX music tracks.


TL;DR

Doom 64 has only 2 acceptable tracks, the rest sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
purpleyoshi13 said:

Doom 64 Is A Great game, music sucked though, they should've used Quake II music :P.

Generic industrial metal.

Share this post


Link to post
purpleyoshi13 said:

the song that you hear when you defeated Mother Demon is awesome (Intro music of PSX doom).

Doom 64's end music was done a little different from the psx intro. :P

Share this post


Link to post
purpleyoshi13 said:

Doom 64 Is A Great game, music sucked though, they should've used Quake II music :P.

Absolutely not.

Share this post


Link to post

Hey, now.. don't bash on Q2's soundtrack! It changes the atmosphere completely. Ever played Quake 2 with no music? Genre changes to HORROR.

Overall I prefer MIDIs to the 64/PSX music. It's just too ambient-y for my liking, but I do appreciate the atmosphere it brings. Just try playing Diablo with the in-game soundtrack or metal playing and compare. Like day and night.
Above all the music should complement the map, and between MIDI and ambient, the ambient music fits the dark and gloomy maps of 64 and PSX better. But like I said overall I like MIDIs more, more versatile and DOOMlike.

Share this post


Link to post
hervoheebo said:

Hey, now.. don't bash on Q2's soundtrack! It changes the atmosphere completely. Ever played Quake 2 with no music? Genre changes to HORROR.

I don't think I could ever imagine Quake II without its soundtrack, at all. It really is a defining part of the game's atmosphere to me.

Regardless, Quake II's soundtrack would absolutely not fit in with the dark, sinister, and generally unsettling atmosphere Doom 64 has. Doom 64's soundtrack is a perfect fit for the game and really contributes to the atmosphere of the game. Throwing in Q II's flavour of industrial metal into Doom 64 is a big no-no, as they have different styles of atmosphere that would clash horribly with each other. Doom 64 needs no other music than its own. Period.

Share this post


Link to post

I love the Quake 2 soundtrack, even if it is generic. Hell, it's better than some of the actual industrial metal out there. Getting back to Doom 64, I think the ambient music makes the levels come alive in a way that "MIDI rock" can't. It makes it seem as if there is more going on than there actually is.

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

Getting back to Doom 64, I think the ambient music makes the levels come alive in a way that "MIDI rock" can't. It makes it seem as if there is more going on than there actually is.

I don't think I could've said it better, myself. When I came to level 07, Research Lab, I was bloody TERRIFIED at the ambient sounds echoing in and out with regular intervals, even though there was nothing going on there. Made the level so much more tense and scarier than it in actuality was.

Share this post


Link to post

Its decent, only one i truly enjoy is the one used in the PS1 Doom game in Mount Erebus, i can't remember the Doom 64 level.

Citadel of Pain i think?

Share this post


Link to post
Doomhuntress said:

I don't think I could've said it better, myself. When I came to level 07, Research Lab, I was bloody TERRIFIED at the ambient sounds echoing in and out with regular intervals, even though there was nothing going on there. Made the level so much more tense and scarier than it in actuality was.


I felt that way especially about Map 02, "The Terraformer" because of those weird chair scraping sounds.

Share this post


Link to post

Doom 64's Music was a pretty well moodsetter, kept me on my seat when i first played it, always having 2 saves ready and nearly killing every demon i could find/see. The farest I ever got was I believe level 17?
Watch Your Step. Always got killed by either the cybie or the mancubi.

Share this post


Link to post
Lite Sparkle said:

Doom 64's Music was a pretty well moodsetter, kept me on my seat when i first played it, always having 2 saves ready and nearly killing every demon i could find/see. The farest I ever got was I believe level 17?
Watch Your Step. Always got killed by either the cybie or the mancubi.

The game didn't held back on throwing major monsters at you now that i remember it.

Watch your step on Watch me die had 2 Cybies at once and No mercy had 3 that could be all roaming at once and that was before i discovered "Go 2 it" so at the time i was quite surprised. :p

Share this post


Link to post

I never made it (Officialy) to the end.
when i learned about Hectic it was complete Hectic. and warp to level 28. I'm thinking of dusting off the N64 and play from start.

Speaking of D64, why does D64 not has his own Sub Forum?

Share this post


Link to post

Probably because it's part of the Classic Doom category. If it really does need its own section, which I don't think it does, then the other games (Doom 2, Final Doom, etc) would have one, too, and we also don't need that I guess.

Share this post


Link to post

"Watch Your Step" was always pretty much the scariest map to me. I remember making many attempts before being able to clear all the waves of monsters, especially the Cyberdemon near the end. It's oozing with atmosphere and I love the orange haze. Great music, too.

Share this post


Link to post
J-selva said:

Probably because it's part of the Classic Doom category. If it really does need its own section, which I don't think it does, then the other games (Doom 2, Final Doom, etc) would have one, too, and we also don't need that I guess.


Pretty Fair I Guess..

GoatLord said:

"Watch Your Step" was always pretty much the scariest map to me. I remember making many attempts before being able to clear all the waves of monsters, especially the Cyberdemon near the end. It's oozing with atmosphere and I love the orange haze. Great music, too.


Amen, I Agree With You Completely On This, although I never made it further than that map it's defiantly one of my faves.

Share this post


Link to post

One of the interesting things about my experience with Doom 64 was that although I was mostly tense by the music/atmosphere, I always did fine in beating the levels. Even on Watch Me Die, the toughest part was feeling uneasy by the fright. Yet I'd make it through the game; it's almost like it doesn't want you to feel good that you beat the game or something.

Share this post


Link to post
J-selva said:

One of the interesting things about my experience with Doom 64 was that although I was mostly tense by the music/atmosphere, I always did fine in beating the levels. Even on Watch Me Die, the toughest part was feeling uneasy by the fright. Yet I'd make it through the game; it's almost like it doesn't want you to feel good that you beat the game or something.


Well put... may have a life on its own.

Share this post


Link to post

I think that the greatest challenge of the game is getting used to that godawful N64 controller, as well as knowing what traps will come at you beforehand. There are some really challenging traps getting thrown at you in the game.

Monster count seems to be somewhat lower than what Classic Doom has, but compensates for that by having more major monsters coming at you, often in pretty tight spots. The controller doesn't make life any easier dealing with them, either.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank The Heavens For Being Able To Re-set the controls to your hearts content eh?

Also one of the new things in Doom 64 were new traps. Arrow Traps, That Weird trap thing from Hectic (When trying to grab the Mega-armor, i never understood what it did and it freaked me out when it happened, I resetted the game. I thought something scary might have jumped on the screen or something.) The annoying trap from level 2 ( the Key card switch teleport room. getting that yellow card is a major pain.

Still I Like the Unmaker, I remember finding that weapon in level 12 Altar Of Pain. since i first got that thing i thought: Is this even stronger than Weapon 7? (I played PC first and didn't knew the names that well) upon finding out it wasn't I switched back to the BFG9000.

Doom64 is Nostalgia at it's finest!

Share this post


Link to post
Lite Sparkle said:

Thank The Heavens For Being Able To Re-set the controls to your hearts content eh?

Also one of the new things in Doom 64 were new traps. Arrow Traps, That Weird trap thing from Hectic (When trying to grab the Mega-armor, i never understood what it did and it freaked me out when it happened, I resetted the game. I thought something scary might have jumped on the screen or something.) The annoying trap from level 2 ( the Key card switch teleport room. getting that yellow card is a major pain.

Still I Like the Unmaker, I remember finding that weapon in level 12 Altar Of Pain. since i first got that thing i thought: Is this even stronger than Weapon 7? (I played PC first and didn't knew the names that well) upon finding out it wasn't I switched back to the BFG9000.

Doom64 is Nostalgia at it's finest!


That weapon destroyed the final boss so easily when all 3 artifacts were found. It also made the level much easier but i like letting the horde of monsters coming out.

Share this post


Link to post
Lite Sparkle said:

What Artifacts?


In each of the secret levels, there's an artifact that makes the Unmaker more powerful. When you have all 3, you can close the portals in the final level, and the Mother Demon becomes a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Gordon said:

In each of the secret levels, there's an artifact that makes the Unmaker more powerful. When you have all 3, you can close the portals in the final level, and the Mother Demon becomes a joke.

I skipped to that level via codes, and had all 3 artifacts for some reason. I died anyways though, but that was loooong ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Lite Sparkle said:

What Artifacts?

As the member who posted after said, each artifacts boost the Unmaker's power.

1 artifact gives it a second laser
2 artifacts increase its firing speed (+ the two laser)
3 artifacts gives it 3 laser (+ firing speed + 2 laser)

Everything just die. I am not sure of the order in which you get the upgrades though.

@yellowmadness: If you used the weapon cheat it also gives you the artifact iirc but i'm not sure if you used the weapon cheat so i can't be sure.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×