Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lifeofchaos13

ID Anthology Box Set Question

Hey Doomites and/or whatever you like to be called...

I have a new/unopened ID Anthology I bought back in 1996. I have seen info that they have sold as much as $700 to collectors, and theres an open one on ebay right now for around $350.

My question is what would be a decent price to ask for a new/unopened box? I would rather sell it, for a fair price for both sides, to someone who would really appreciate it, rather then just put it up on ebay.

And let's not forget there's at least 2 versions of IDA; the regular one and a possibly rarer bundle with the fixed TNT/Plutonia stuff, and that's got to be worth some more. I wonder if there's a way to tell them apart without unboxing.

I don't know if there's a way to pick them apart without seeing the disks. AFAIK the Doom CD was the only one updated, with the label side changing in hue from sepia to green/grey - so it stands out from the rest of the set.

I recently bought a copy of the Id Anthology for just under $300, and mine is in almost-new condition (ie. opened, but pristine). I've seen others go for slightly more. I'd guess that an unopened box might be worth $400-450?

There's a sealed one on eBay going for exactly $500 right now, but it's hard to put a price on these things. I got mine (also used but pristine) for about $330 though it was missing the t-shirt.

So theres no way to tell the difference with an unopened box on whether or not it has the updated WAD?

Ive tried to find a contact email for ID software to see if there is any way but cant find one.

When Im ready I will post it here first.

GreyGhost said:

AFAIK the Doom CD was the only one updated, with the label side changing in hue from sepia to green/grey - so it stands out from the rest of the set.

My anthology disk definitely has the fixed Final Doom files (I reported it on these forums some time ago when the fixed IWADs were not so well known). However, I wouldn't say that my Doom disk stands out particularly from the others and none of them seem particularly green.

I bought mine in the UK towards the end of what would probably have been the run of times when you were likely to still find the set on the high street. I'm not sure but I think I may have even got it at a reduced price to clear. ;)

lifeofchaos13 said:

So theres no way to tell the difference with an unopened box on whether or not it has the updated WAD?

No known way at least. Unless there's something distinguishing about the outside appearance of the box.

GreyGhost said:

I don't know if there's a way to pick them apart without seeing the disks. AFAIK the Doom CD was the only one updated, with the label side changing in hue from sepia to green/grey - so it stands out from the rest of the set.

This way could also help tell the difference between CD's.

Mastering Code (Ringcode) Inner ring of the CD

VINTAGE

IFPI L531 J32B6X 1-25201-40*

DOOM Updated

IFPI L531 D21C6X 2-25201-40*

DOOM original

IFPI L533 K42B6Z 2-25201-40*

QUAKE

IFPI L533 C42B6Z 3-25201-40*

MAC

IFPI L533 I52B6Z 4-25201-40*

After IFPI L533 and IFPI L531 the words and numbers are backwards.

What about an MRI scan? ;-)

Enjay said:

My anthology disk definitely has the fixed Final Doom files (I reported it on these forums some time ago when the fixed IWADs were not so well known). However, I wouldn't say that my Doom disk stands out particularly from the others and none of them seem particularly green.

My copy of the anthology also contains the updated disk, with the original turning up in a loose copy of the "Book of id" I found on eBay. The change in hue is most noticeable when the disks are side-by-side, I'll post a picture later.

digger said:

Mastering Code (Ringcode) Inner ring of the CD

Well spotted, though the "backward" words and numbers are meant to be read from the other side. Try holding them up to a mirror.

I understood the thread to be about Bot Sex.

Maybe Dusty can answer that question, since he probably owns at least half of the copies.

Here's the picture I promised with the updated CD on the right.

(1860x1000 - 349k)

geo said:

Ask eBay my friend :-)

Ya I was hoping to ask ID themselves but have yet to find any email address for questions of any kind, regardless of the ID Software your wondering about.

GreyGhost said:

Maybe Dusty can answer that question, since he probably owns at least half of the copies.

LOL GreyGhost!

I have 5 copies of id Anthology, but 4 of them are sealed.

I've looked over the outside of the 4 sealed ones very carefully in the past. The only differences I could find were:
Slightly different shrink wraps were used, indicating to me that not all 10,000 were produced and shrink wrapped at the factory at the same time...not that I find that the least bit surprising.

Different stickers applied to the outside of the shrink wrap for the country it was being sold in. My copies from Japan and Australia have stickers on the outside of the shrink wrap my USA copies don't, but as far as under the shrink wrap everything was identical that I could spot.

I can take another look and see if I can find any more differences at all, if I do I'll report back.

Best,

Dusty

Only 5, you disappoint me. ;-)

Dusty said:

My copies from Japan and Australia have stickers on the outside of the shrink wrap

Probably an "M15+" classification sticker on the Australian copy. While it's highly unlikely the update would result in a change of barcode it's probably worth checking for.