Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HLTV Proxy

Heretic in Doom

Hello again everyone.

I am currently typing up this post from work, so when I get home I will upload some screenshots.

Basically, I am remaking the first set of heretic levels in doom (UDMF Format). I have ripped all the textures and some of the props, put some of them in decorate, etc.

The first level is done, so I will give that out when I get home. I'm aware that there are some minor texture misalignments, but not too many.

You'll be fighting your standard doom monsters in these levels, I've included difficulty settings from easy to hard.

I've borrowed some resources from R667 (But not much), one thing I did borrow was the particle effect that I will be using for the teleport pads and such.

I might need a hand in getting the water to splash like in heretic and such.

If you'd like to help, just let me know.

Before I forget, this will only contain the first levels of heretic, E1M1 - E1M8, which is technically LEGAL to make as a shareware version exists. So before I get anyone posting that I should scrap this project or I shouldn't be making it, my answer to those people is "lolno, feels good man".

Post away.

My last project was a duke nukem 3d remake in doom (Got about 3 levels done too) which was fully scripted and everything, which also got binned because apparently, that was "illegal" according to some people.

Even though I was only making one episode, I just thought I'd see if it was possible remaking it in doom. But no, of course not.

Hopefully, this one goes a bit better. : |

HLTV Proxy said:

My last project was a duke nukem 3d remake in doom (Got about 3 levels done too) which was fully scripted and everything, which also got binned because apparently, that was "illegal" according to some people.

3D Realms went out of business and it's all your fault, HLTV Proxy

HLTV Proxy said:

Before I forget, this will only contain the first levels of heretic, E1M1 - E1M8, which is technically LEGAL to make as a shareware version exists.

Do you have something that supports this assertion? As far as I understand, the shareware nature of Heretic doesn't technically grant you the rights to distribute modified versions of its resources any more than owning the registered version does. Not that anyone cares, either way, so whatever.

Mithran Denizen said:

Do you have something that supports this assertion? As far as I understand, the shareware nature of Heretic doesn't technically grant you the rights to distribute modified versions of its resources any more than owning the registered version does. Not that anyone cares, either way, so whatever.

I think it actually might be slightly more illegal to do anything with the shareware.

Do you have something that supports this assertion? As far as I understand, the shareware nature of Heretic doesn't technically grant you the rights to distribute modified versions of its resources any more than the registered version does. Not that anyone cares, either way, so whatever.

There's nothing in the fine print that tells me that I cannot take from the shareware version and use it's resources. It's free, anyway. Plus, I am giving full credit, so don't worry.

Anyone who contributes and anything I've borrowed, gets credit. I'm just making the maps and hopefully getting some takers :)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

It depends on how Heretic addresses "mods and shareware". If it's anything like Doom's license, which expressly prohibits that AFAIK, then yes. It'd be slightly more illegal to do stuff with the shareware data. I can only imagine Heretic and Hexen take a similar approach to addressing this.

I'm at work at the moment, though, and I would appreciate if someone could bring up the relevant license text that addresses this issue.

It depends on how Heretic addresses "mods and shareware". If it's anything like Doom's license, which expressly prohibits that AFAIK, then yes. It'd be slightly more illegal to do stuff with the shareware data.

Reakon you could get that verified? I don't want this project to follow the same route as that Duke one I made.

Why did you go all the way up to ZDoom format just to add a couple of things from Realm 667? Surely you can do vanilla Heretic maps in a less restrictive format than that?

Because some of the features will be necessary in the future maps, such as "Wind", which is used in heretic, and also ambient sounds which I hope to use as well, and many other features.

Why not just play shareware Heretic then go out of your way and put Doom in Heretic?

Why not just play shareware Heretic then go out of your way and put Doom in Heretic?

Oh I don't know.. maybe because I wanted to try something different? You know, something that doesn't seem to exist yet? (I've looked for this and it doesn't exist, so I am making it)

What's wrong with having levels from other games, except having your favorite doom monsters to blast in them? It's something different.

HLTV Proxy said:

There's nothing in the fine print that tells me that I cannot take from the shareware version and use it's resources. It's free, anyway.

Copyrights don't work like that, though. Unless the holder explicitly grants you permission to modify or reuse their work, you don't have that permission. Again, I'm sure Raven isn't going to sue you over your mod or anything, but I doubt that it's "technically LEGAL" as you claim.

Also, I think you're using the phrase "something different" pretty liberally, if all you're doing is porting the maps from one game into another closely related one, both of which have already been played by most of the people on this forum. But hey, if that's what stokes your embers, then by all means...

Also, I think you're using the phrase "something different" pretty liberally, if all you're doing is porting the maps from one game into another closely related one, both of have already been played by most of the people on this forum. But hey, if that's what stokes your embers, by all means...

I'm not just 'porting' the maps. I am giving people a blend of heretic and doom.

You get to play your favorite heretic levels within the doom engine. With all effects taken into consideration. You get the heretic levels, with a bit of a doom feel.

My style is trying to mimic levels from other games and see if I can redo them into doom and see if people will like the idea, if not, that's fine.

Isn't Heretic already basically "Medieval fantasy in Doom", more or less? How much more Doom-like can it be, while still being considered "something different" from both Doom and Heretic itself? (I'm honestly curious about how you intend to blend Doom and Heretic, not just being snarky.)

Furthermore, if you're making the mod for ZDoom, then you're not really backporting Heretic levels so that we can play them in "the Doom engine" so much as you are porting Heretic into an engine that already supports it anyway.

Isn't Heretic already basically "Medieval fantasy in Doom", more or less? How much more Doom-like can it be, while still being considered "something different" from both Doom and Heretic itself?

Furthermore, if you're making the mod for ZDoom, then you're not really porting Heretic levels into "the Doom engine" so much as you are porting Heretic into an engine that already supports it anyway.

Now we're just splitting hairs, so this is no longer open to debate.

As for your other question, If you can tell me how I'm supposed to achieve the ambient sound effects, plus the wind effects in a vanilla environment, then I'll be more than happy to scrap the UDMF format and redo the entire thing in a vanilla approach.

I'm just saying, if what you want is to be able to run through Heretic levels blowing away imps with a shotgun (and you're doing it in a ZDoom-exclusive way anyway), then might it not be simpler to just port Doom's weapons and monsters into Heretic? Or is there something that I'm missing here?

I would have to port all the ammo types, all the weapons, sprites and monsters and THEN code their behaviors. (I wouldn't even know where to begin then)

What I've done, takes less effort as all I need to do is get textures and a small amount of sprites. All I need to do is retexture the levels, if props need making, find ones on R667 or other sites that behave in similar nature to the props I am after, remove the custom sprites and then add sprites from heretic to those, and assign those names in the gldefs and decorate. If credit is needed, credit will be given.

That's practically it. I just need to get the water splashing working.

Something similar exists for MBF (google "heredoom"). It's quite impressive, and runs fine in prboom, although the monsters seem a bit fast... There's also no ambient sounds, but you can actually do that in vanilla Doom by changing one monster's sounds to wind (for example), and hidding them behind walls. But the water splash animation & sound is a different story...

"Wind" meaning not only sound effects, but the floor that scrolls the player in a direction, "Wind west (Medium)" for example.

This sounds like something that could almost be done in an afternoon.

EDIT: (Bulk of the post removed as I don't want to give anyone ideas on plagiarism.)

Of course, according to certain people in this thread, what you're doing isn't really legal, so yeah, don't try this at home. What would be much cooler is using your creative energy to make some original DOOM or Heretic levels. Torm may still be looking for people to join HPack, if so you should sign up.

This project is really making me scratch my head.

HLTV Proxy said:

Oh I don't know.. maybe because I wanted to try something different? You know, something that doesn't seem to exist yet?

But it does exist. It's called Heretic. It seems strange to me to make a weird hybrid of the two games when both exist and can be played with a lot of the same ports. Heretic's engine is Doom's engine -- they're close enough already, most would think.

So, I dunno. If you're doing it because you want to do it, then go for it. Just don't expect many people to be super-thrilled with the idea. Now, remaking Heretic levels in Doom using Doom textures and monsters? That actually might be a neat venture if done right.

I could actually do that. Go through and remove all the heretic textures and then try and find specific textures to replace the appropriate heretic ones on different things.

But that's where I get stumped, I actually attempted this, however the problem being, is that I don't know which textures to use in place of the heretic ones. For example, in "The Docks" the textures for start area, what could replace that commonly used texture that's in the doom textures?

Is that supposed to be a clip of some kind? It's not loading.

Regardless, I'll still upload what I have anyway. (it's not very big)

I would still be stumped when it comes to finding the correct textures to suit all the places.

Grain of Salt said:

Heretic maps tend to have very effective layouts, so remaking them with Doom monsters can have amazing results:

[YouTube clip]

Edit: I fail at clips. Fixed now.

I recall that Heretic map but the way it's been done up I'm getting huge Resistance is Futile vibes.