Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khorus

Khorus' Speedy Shit - All maps completed, /idgames download available

Hai,

My SSD died in my desktop today for the second time in months, so I'm stuck on my laptop for awhile (it's still in warranty blah bla). No data loss, just a major pain in the ass.

So I have some spare time right now (can't work on music noes) and I'm going to do some speed maps with it. No set in stone time frame, Map01 took 2 hours.

IWAD is Doom 2, Vanilla.

Screens:

Map01 1
Map02 (dedicated to 1ntru, birthday dude/tte and person I only knew existed 10 mins ago) 1
Map03 (for DeathevokatioN) 1
Map04 1
Map05 1
Map06 1
Map07 1
Map08 1
Map09 1
Map10 1
Map11 1
Map12 1
Map13 1
Map14 1
Map15 1
Map16 1
Map17 1
Map18 1
Map19 1
Map20 1
Map21 1
Map22 1
Map23 1 2
Map24 noscreenfurdu
Map25 1
Map26 1 2
Map27 1
Map28 1
Map29 1

Downloads:

/idgames

Have fun!

Map02 is up for download! Screen here. This one took 2.5 hours. I may do another later tonight if I get the energy.

DeathevokatioN said:

I should be studying. Very intense and fun little map. I managed to get through on my first attempt. :)

Thanks, glad you liked it. :) And yes, you really should be studying lest you turn into me!

Memfis said:

Nice, but add new music!
FDA - http://www.mediafire.com/?b0g5b6ry7akcrg1

Thanks. Ha, map01 music totally slipped my mind (I haven't played with tunes on in years). I'll do that sort of polish when I feel I've made all the maps I want for this.

NoneeLlama said:

Nice map, even though I couldn't walk down on one of the stairs (you can see it in my demo): http://www.mediafire.com/?r2taadrv3a0mtue

Whoopsie, fixed. I didn't go down the stairs once in my testing, always took a dive. ;)

Keep the demos coming, for I enjoy them mucho. :)

Boom. Map03 is up for download. Screen here. Happy birthday DeathevokatioN. :)

This one is rather linear. Don't think it's so flash, but eh. 2 hours on this one.

I played fully through Map 1, then rushed through Maps 2 and 3 until I died (relatively quickly).

Nice maps for such a short build time. Great for a short burst of fun!

Map04 is now up for download, screen here. 2 hours. Really happy with this one. :)

DooMGo2It said:

I played fully through Map 1, then rushed through Maps 2 and 3 until I died (relatively quickly).

Nice maps for such a short build time. Great for a short burst of fun!

Thanks! They do indeed make for nice bite size snacks.

1ntru said:

I just played the other maps now casually and I like them all. Keep on making maps! (:

Thanks, I enjoyed your demo too. :) We'll see how long I can keep this pace up. ;)

Super Jamie said:

What brand/model of SSD did you get? I've been considering one myself lately, yours kinda sounds like one to steer clear of :/

It's a 160gb OCZ Vertex II. I really like the benefits over HDD, but not when it's just dying every few months.. :p

I don't buy OCZ anymore. I've had enough problems with their stuff. Anyways, I'm checking these maps out now!

I'll to try it at some point too, I love packs of bite-sized maps like this when they're done well. :)

I hope in advance it gets extended past 4 maps.

Map05 is up for download! Screen here. 3 hours on this one, it's a bit weird. Doesn't flow as well as Map04.

Krispavera said:

Anyways, I'm checking these maps out now!

MegaDoomer said:

I'll to try it at some point too, I love packs of bite-sized maps like this when they're done well. :)

I hope in advance it gets extended past 4 maps.

:)

I still have plenty of steam left.

Cheers for the birthday map, mate! These levels are quite awesome, they have really nice punchy Scythe like layouts, only the gameplay is a bit more chaotic.

Thanks again for the map, I especially liked that one and map5 the most. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?07s5mn0m7eqn3z2
My terrible run at map01, three deaths. Can you tell I'm waaaay out of practice? I also blame demo recording mouse resolution :P

Anyway, cool map. Looks pretty like all your stuff does. The stairs up to the second Arachno are one-way because of the low roof, though perhaps this is intentional? Just after that, the Revenant sprite clips through the ceiling before the switch to lower the key bars. The HK at the red key is a bit of a nasty trick, as you'll see in my second death, heh. The final room is substantially easier than the rest of the level, you could probably swap the red/yellow key areas and have it flow better.

The most memorable thing I totally loved about this level is the use and re-use of the first room with the pillar. You have the opening Imp fight, the sometimes-simultaneous and sometimes-separate demon/sarge fight, the later Imps pile into there, I ended up fighting the first Revenant in there too, more Imps, and then you pass by it on top with the first Arachno. It's the same area but each fight plays out differently because of the different monsters, different positioning of the monsters, or different status of the player at the time. That's a heap of mileage out of just one room with such basic architecture. Good work!

I will endeavour to play the rest over the weekend.

This kind of stuff seems like the right way to speedmap - just go in with an idea knowing you're going to have the product finished fairly quickly, yet don't go to a hard and fast time limit (as in, the 100 minute contests), that far too often causes a map to fall short.

I wish there were speedmapping contests like this held, a little less strict than the 100 minute ones. Maybe a full 32in24 project for single player - I would think a day would be a fair time limit since Khorus is pumping this stuff all out at about a map a day. Yes, I know there's the rather mediocre attempt at that already from 2007 and there's also Diet 32in24 - but I think the next 32in24 should be single player oriented with hopefully a better turnout than the 2007 attempt (there's a lot of active mappers now that weren't really so active then, for a start), and also not one with a strict theme/gimmick, as in Diet.

I'm gonna do some map recordings of this with BrutalDoom and post it on my Youtube later on. :3

Thanks all for the kind words. :)

Map06 is now up for download. 2.5 hours. It still needs polish though, but I can't do that right now.

My laptop is now acting up. It will rarely boot to desktop, and when it does it's incredibly sluggish and the display is limited to 8-bit colour. I've managed to run virus, malware and memory scans with nothing being picked up. Gawdamn computers. We'll see if I can manage to make a map today.. :/

boris said:

The blue key in map02 only has the "hard" skill level set.

Thanks, fixed!

Mr. Chris said:

I'm gonna do some map recordings of this with BrutalDoom and post it on my Youtube later on. :3

Do that. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?hb1slduco0digme
MAP02, MAP03, MAP04

Again these were great fun.

The trickiest part of MAP02 was figuring out what order to dispatch everything in so I didn't run myself out of ammo and be unable (or unlikely) to reach more. I love how the ammo is spread out so you pretty much have to place yourself in a high degree of danger to get through the level.

The start of MAP03 was very hectic until I figured out a more ideal route than going for the armor straight away. I only got 97% kills here, it seems one enemy didn't teleport.

MAP04 was just awesome. I love Archvile puzzles like the start of this. The big outdoor area was a good hard challenge, I died here the most. Having the Arachnos fight the Mancs was helpful but also difficult to setup. I felt the HK near the key was nerfed a fair bit by being able to hide behind the window? This is my favorite level so far.

i can make a speedmap every once and a while, but how you've managed to make 6 in the past week is beyond me 9_9

Map06: again, the blue key only has the hard skill setting. Also there's no sector tagged 1, so you the teleporters in the slime pit are unusable.

In MAP06, the blue key bars are too close behind the yellow key bars to press them in non-ZDoomy ports. Moving them back a bit further or setting the Boom passthru line flag on the yellow bars would fix the issue.

Map07 is now up for download. Screen here, and a screen of Map06 here. My laptop seems stable again so yay.

EDIT: Oh yeah, 2 hours on this one. I spent too much time on one area limiting the map somewhat. Oh well.

@Super Jamie: :D. I'll have a look around and see if I can find that enemy on Map03 some time. Map04's HK.. I could be an ass and teleport him in behind the player as they walk in there. I like that.

Tango said:

i can make a speedmap every once and a while, but how you've managed to make 6 in the past week is beyond me 9_9

Well, I don't have access to any of my Doom or music projects so I have plenty of time. 7 btw. :P :P

boris said:

Map06: again, the blue key only has the hard skill setting. Also there's no sector tagged 1, so you the teleporters in the slime pit are unusable.

Gah, whoops. Thanks again boris, both are fixed. Seems I'm always putting ammo, keys and teleporter things down after doing some monster difficulty changes. ;)

esselfortium said:

In MAP06, the blue key bars are too close behind the yellow key bars to press them in non-ZDoomy ports. Moving them back a bit further or setting the Boom passthru line flag on the yellow bars would fix the issue.

Heh, I missed this as I must have used the sides of the bars every time I played. Thanks!