Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

If Quake was done today

Singing to the choir. Those of us who know about the problems will get it. Everyone else won't even understand what's wrong.

Though, what's with the logos? Is that REALLY that big of a deal?

Well when I run doom it goes right to the title screen before anything else. That, coupled with zero loading times is what makes it such a good pickup-and-play game.

esselfortium said:

Doom actually took a good while to start up when it wasn't nearly two decades old, though.

Yeah, but it still didn't feel like I was booting an OS.

Membrain said:

Singing to the choir. Those of us who know about the problems will get it. Everyone else won't even understand what's wrong.

Though, what's with the logos? Is that REALLY that big of a deal?

It is when you can't skip them. I know the game is published by EA. STFU and let me play already.

Heh at all the "Powered by" logos at the beginning and the tutorial nonsense.

Gez said:

A chain of discount supermarkets from Germany.

No, there is just about no reason at all for it to ever be associated with video game development. Which is part of the caricature here.

There's also a regular Aldi (no Süd, dunno what it means off-hand) here in the U.S. I don't know how widespread it is, but there's a few in at least the Northeast Ohio area.

Mr. T said:

It is when you can't skip them. I know the game is published by EA. STFU and let me play already.

Fair enough, I suppose.

On the other hand, I haven't seen many examples of this. In all honesty, the game that takes me the longest to get past logo screens is Crysis, since I can't skip them, and that's only roughly 20 seconds long.

EDIT: @Maes: total agreement there. Motion blur can go die in a ditch. I can't stand it.

Crysis 2 with DX11 is probably the only motion blur that doesn't suck ass, because it is quite high tech and actually works like your eyes do (your gun isn't blurred! FINALLY!).

Wow, wish I'd ever been good enough at quake when I had to even see half of those levels in the clips at the end.

Have to say, that video is worryingly close to the truth for a caricature though.

My added comment so I don't have to dig in the comments section on it:

"This is the Pussy Generation, with overprivileged, spoiled brats having mom and dad getting them an Xbox 360, XBL Gold sub and Modern Warfare 3 so they can play with all their loser friends online too. Nothing more is just fucking absurd than developers making the same fucking game with few to no gameplay changes, shinier graphics every year or every other year. We come this far only to have gaming degenerate into this kind of bullshit? I am disappointed."

I think games have always been a kind of low-grade bullshit, just over the past few years (AND BECAUSE OF CONSOLES) that has moved to the forefront, replacing actual games. Dunno why, but we had to have gotten from Doom, Quake, HL, Quake III and Counter-Strike...to MW3 somehow :-\

That was almost scarily accurate as far as the idioms the video is poking fun at. Really loved the stupid hints while the level was loading, I see that a lot in modern games. It's never a useful tip, just bullshit you already know before even playing for the first time.

If that had bloom and blur, that would have been PERFECT!

My only gripe was, well, Quake's bosses were pretty much one trick gimmicks. The only challenge behind the bosses were figuring out how to kill them.

Sweet nostalgia goggles out the ass, there, YouTube commenters.

This is the Pussy Generation, with overprivileged, spoiled brats having mom and dad getting them an Xbox 360, XBL Gold sub and Modern Warfare 3 so they can play with all their loser friends online too. Nothing more is just fucking absurd than developers making the same fucking game with few to no gameplay changes, shinier graphics every year or every other year. We come this far only to have gaming degenerate into this kind of bullshit? I am disappointed.

Didn't iD kinda... sorta re-release the same two games for 11 years?

in the good old days the player was always part of the action. all the action stuff had been done by your own controls.. today the action is all scripted. you cant do anything yourself. your controls and movement is limited to almost nothing and all the action is taking place as scripts in the background you dont affect at all.

those are no games any longer. its more like interacting in a movie.

thx for destroying shootergames, console fanboys.

Didn't Half-Life, a largely PC oriented series, kinda... sorta get the whole scripted gameplay bandwagon going?

Screw it, I'm calling these guys out.

The availability heuristic at work: the only old games that I can remember are good, therefore all old games are good. Remember Sturgeon's Law, children! Ninety-percent of everything is crap.

The video's pretty funny, though. The opening sequence reminds me of LoTR: Battle for Middle Earth (from EA Games) which starts up more like a movie in a theatre than an actual video game.

Coopersville said:

Didn't Half-Life, a largely PC oriented series, kinda... sorta get the whole scripted gameplay bandwagon going?

A valid point, if you insinuate that the commenter included Half-life as an example for his claim, when he clearly hasn't.

Technician said:

A valid point, if you insinuate that the commenter included Half-life as an example for his claim, when he clearly hasn't.

Besides, Half-Life style of scripted gameplay was a hell of a lot different from what we talk about when we complain about such things. Half Life had quite good level design, regardless of the scripts.