Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

If Quake was done today

What a great video. I do the exact same thing(bang my keyboard to death) when I have to sit through all the ads before an EA game loads. I'm surprised they didn't include a pop-up tip about regenerating health, though.

Vordakk said:

What a great video. I do the exact same thing(bang my keyboard to death) when I have to sit through all the ads before an EA game loads. I'm surprised they didn't include a pop-up tip about regenerating health, though.

Yeah, it's like making a Star Wars parody and not bringing up midichlorians. Regenerating health is the mastodon in the fps room.

Mindsets like those of the commenters on that video are the reason I'm hesitant to be labeled a PC gamer.

yukib1t said:

Yeah, but it still didn't feel like I was booting an OS.

I'm not sure if you're joking or serious here.

The thing that I find the funniest about the video is just how seriously people are taking it. Half of the comments on the video seem like they were written either by dumbasses with nostalgia goggles strapped so tightly to their faces that the only thing they can see are CoD and CoD clones, or by hipsters who of course, think anything that anything that isn't indie is created by evil facists, baby killing corporations, etc.

Also I really don't remember the bosses in Quake being any better than the shambler in the cage. Unless you were stupid enough to stand still and let his attacks hit you, there really wasn't any excuse at all to be killed by Cthlon since the boss battle literally boiled down to running a couple of laps around his house

SeanWJF said:

Ironically, Quake's bosses are actually like that.

Honestly, as far as I can remember, id has always been notoriously bad when it comes to boss fights

Craigs said:

Honestly, with the exception of the cyberdemon, I really can't think of any good boss fights in any of ids' games.

It may seem very tame now but the Bruiser Brothers fight struck me as almost impossibly hard back in December '93.

But, yes, I agree. Personally, I'd rate Shub in Quake and the Icon in Doom2 as the two worst. Cython comes pretty close too. I don't even remember the other Quake boss fights (were there any?).

[edit] Heh, you changed your post. :P [/edit]

Enjay said:

It may seem very tame now but the Bruiser Brothers fight struck me as almost impossibly hard back in December '93.

But, yes, I agree. Personally, I'd rate Shub in Quake and the Icon in Doom2 as the two worst. Cython comes pretty close too. I don't even remember the other Quake boss fights (were there any?).

[edit] Heh, you changed your post. :P [/edit]

I really find it hard to consider the two barons bosses since you encounter them regularly through the rest of the game. It's like calling the vores at the end of episode 2 in Quake bosses just because you're fighting them for the first time. The only special thing about them was that you fought two of them at the same time.

And yeah, Cthlon and Shub were the only two bosses in Quake

Craigs said:

I really find it hard to consider the two barons bosses since you encounter them regularly through the rest of the game.

Fair point but remember how Doom was marketed. When most people first came across the game back then, it was through trying the shareware episode. As such, the bruisers were the big-bads at the end of the game and it was the only time you encountered barons until your registered copy dropped into your mailbox. And that was an actual real life physical mailbox too. :)

I've always considered barons, cyberdemons and, yes! even spider masterminds to be some of the best boss monsters in FPS as they play by the rules of the rest of the game and are bosses simply due to being innately more dangerous and tougher, rather than relying on a bunch of scripted gimmicks and ackward puzzles.

Only game I can think of that still did that after Doom was Deus Ex. What a shame. Then again, for all I know there might be a bunch of shooters I've never played/finished with boss encounters like this.

Edit: Unreal, and Quake mission packs then? Good to know. Will have to give these a spin, once I can spare some moniez (easy) and some time (not so much).

I agree about Quake's bosses, which was why the mission packs' bosses were so much better in that they actually gave you a fight.

Aldi is popular in my area. Home of the cheap groceries that can be so cheap because they don't take credit cards.

As for the video. I thought it was dumb. Quake is an unrealistic shooter. I say that as a positive. Call of Battle Field 3 is a realistic shooter. Sorry if you can't rocket jump to school. Two different things.

Like how Mario is uncrealistic because he can jump 5x his height. But unrealism makes things fun.

We can complain about the new generation of shooters... but I wonder if Call of Duty Modern Quake would sell just as well with the Quake engine if you were a soldier set to kill everything and save the world.

A better comparison than CoD would be DNF. It wasn't intended to be realistic (for stupid gaming definitions of realistic), but it has every problem illustrated in that video. Not many people like DNF very much.

Erm... I wouldn't call Battlefield or Call of Duty realistic.

Crosshairs, limited lung capacity for sprinting, selecting your perks and weapons before starting a level, to name a few unrealistic things.

The message being delivered by the video is that games these days aren't as liberating as a game like quake, which leaves you the opportunity to skulk around corners and pick off monsters from a safe sniping distance like you would play call of duty, and lets you bounce around on grenades and spew rockets all over the place and find secrets and complete the level in 15 seconds.

Since the market is going full-force towards "casual gamers," which are basically people who are afraid to be called nerds so they find solace in sucking at video games, games will spoonfeed you directions on how to play the game correctly, holding your hand every step of the way. There's no new skills to be learned in these games when you're punished for thinking outside of the box and playing the game unlike what the creators intended.

Don't people have limited lung capacity, wouldn't you select weapons before each mission? Your perks I guess would be if you were playing as a different character with different abilities. Like my mom is better with handguns and my dad is better with sniper rifles.

But I get your points.

I wouldn't say the market goes full force to casual gamers. There are things that streamline processes. Like having a calculator when you can easily do the math yourself.

40oz said:

Since the market is going full-force towards "casual gamers," which are basically people who are afraid to be called nerds so they find solace in sucking at video games, games will spoonfeed you directions on how to play the game correctly, holding your hand every step of the way.

Someone still hasn't even bothered looking into the STALKER games. OR Arma 2. Or Dark Souls/Demon Souls. Or New Vegas.
I know this may be nearly impossible for you to see, but there are plenty of games coming out and games that have been released lately that are not oriented towards casual gamers

I've heard of the STALKER name... so I watched the trailer... It did nothing to make me want to play the game or to even show off what the game is. Maybe I'll have to see a different trailer.

Arma 2 never heard of. So I saw the trailer and it did a lot to make me want to play it. It looks great and different. Great as in a basic good look to it without tons of atmosphere like Battlefield 3. I'm shocked I've never heard of or seen this 2009 game. It looks like it has everything (and more) the Call of Modern Battlefield 3 has minus top tier graphics.

... so then I watched a review and it looks like the game branches by your choices and failures. In a way it looks like GTA with a marines theme. Review says the AI is great (I'd rather have dull graphics and great AI), and offers you a choice of what you want to do and how you want to tackle things.

And an in game mission editor...

The down side is enemies are too smart and your teammates can be too dumb and the game has a complex interface.

Cragis. Thank you for even mentioning this game :-) It looks very deep and unhandholding.

geo said:

I've heard of the STALKER name... so I watched the trailer... It did nothing to make me want to play the game or to even show off what the game is. Maybe I'll have to see a different trailer.

The best way I can think of to describe it is a tactical survival sandbox shooter with RPGish inventory/equipment management elements.

The main reason I mentioned it is because the series has always been notable for being careful to hold the player's hand as little as possible.

Call of Pripyat in particular basically started you off with a quick briefing before putting you in the game with some basic gear. From there you could pretty much whatever you wanted, whether it be exploring anomalies for artifacts, completing side missions to earn the respect of different factions, killing other stalkers for their loot, or simply going straight to the main quest (which in itself was pretty nonlinear and could usually be completed in different orders).

It was never "QUICK GO TO THE HELICOPTERS AND SEARCH THEM!" or "QUICK! GET SOME TOOLS FOR THE MECHANIC IN SKADOVSK". The closest it came to holding your hand was two stalkers near your starting point you could talk to who would suggest that you go to the Skadovsk outpost for work and supplies.

The video was funny, but the end where they show speedrunners wasn't appropriate in my opinion. The only 'action' you see there was an expert player flying past everything in the level, rather than a brutal firefight with the monsters.

Khorus said:

Call of Pripyat is a great game. Don't enjoy the last third much though.

Agreed. On the other hand, the Pripyat streets were scary as hell, as were the labs. It was by far the most atmospheric part of any game I've ever played.

Membrain said:

Agreed. On the other hand, the Pripyat streets were scary as hell, as were the labs. It was by far the most atmospheric part of any game I've ever played.

True, I enjoyed the last parts on first playthrough. But now I dread reaching the underground tunnel section.

Minecraft... zero hand holding. Just dumps you off on another world. True indie fashion. Make it first, explain it... eh?

Craigs said:

Someone still hasn't even bothered looking into the STALKER games. OR Arma 2. Or Dark Souls/Demon Souls. Or New Vegas.
I know this may be nearly impossible for you to see, but there are plenty of games coming out and games that have been released lately that are not oriented towards casual gamers

Are you sure about that?