Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaku-the-crate

Reaku comments on Reverie [split]

Time for some critique!

Alright... First off, this wads maps are very pleasing when it comes to visuals, and I can give the gameplay some points too, BUT!
and this is a huge but.
This wad all around, requires a small tone down, or at least more health and ammo through the maps, I say this because I was playing on "Hurt me plenty" and I was having enough problems staying alive on even the first map, the maps would be good if they had more ammo and health to help the player along instead of expecting them to save after every room of battle, and to carry that on, there are enemies right in the starting rooms. (most of them) and that's not a good thing, you need to give the player breathing room when it comes to this, and if they don't have it, they're going to get frustrated and eventually over whelmed.

My largest disappointment is the amount of remakes of rooms I've seen in Doom2, TNT, and Plutonia. This I do not like, it shows you got semi lazy with making those rooms, please don't do this in the future. on top, the waiting game you have the player go through before the end, I HATE THAT! I run through a barrage of enemies that are more likely to kill me and I'm sitting in a room with no health, ammo, places to hide, or any hope of escaping until the damn pillar lowers down from its place, please do not ever do this again, and lastly, make the boss room bigger and make the bosses brain chamber smaller, because it shouldn't take more than 5 rockets to kill the god damn thing, and if you miss with no spare rockets, guess what, you're hosed for the remainder of the map and forced to start over. (oh fun)

This wad is good, trust me, just take another look at it, make it more friendly for lower difficulties, AND make sure you aren't giving the player the short end of the stick when it comes to health and ammo. (EI give a shotgun, not a chainsaw at the beginning of map01.)
They need a fighting chance.
If you don't like my critique, so be it, but please take into account that we all would like some help along parts of a map, give the player a treat for killing hordes and hordes of monsters, thus making the fight worth it, and if they did well, they can save said treat for when they really need it.

Reaku-the-crate said:

Time for some critique!...(critique follows)

Might just be me, but I don't agree with any of that honestly.

First, the difficulty felt perfect to me. Granted I've been playing DOOM since 1994 so maybe I'm better than some people, but I played on UV and blew through the whole megawad in a matter of days, playing casually in between work, the gym, and hanging out with friends. It's sort of a given in this community that most modern pwads(even those that are classic in design) are going to be harder than the original IWADs. If it's too tough, that's what the lower difficulty levels(and save games) are for. You said that you were playing on "Hurt Me Plenty"; next time try "I'm Too Young To Die".

Second, I cannot recall encountering a room that was a "remake" of a room from any IWAD(and it's only been a few weeks since I last played this pwad). I'd be very interested to see you provide examples of which rooms you thought were "remakes", because it all felt quite original to me. If you're gonna call someone lazy when they made a fucking one-man megawad, you better back that shit up.

And for the love of god, who says it shouldn't take more than 5 rockets to defeat the Icon of Sin??? I thought the way Valkiriforce approached the Icon fight was a cool touch that clearly went over your head. I suppose you'd rather that he made a "remake" of DOOM 2 level 30 instead of something a bit more original.

Reaku-the-crate said:

"Hurt me plenty"

Have you tried "Hey Not Too Rough", yet? If I recall correctly valkiriforce said that all the difficulties were balanced. There's no shame in playing that difficulty.

Vordakk said:

That is true, but the obvious homage to MAP01 of DOOM 2(which was done purposefully, not out of laziness) is the only thing I saw. For all I know, Reaku(much like you) has only played a handful of the maps contained in the megawad and is basing his opinion on those alone. It's very possible that he played MAP01-MAP02, saw the MAP01 homage, died a lot, and then hit IDCLEV30 and played the last level. That type of thing happens. After MAP01, there is nothing but original stuff. The maps get progressively bigger and more expansive, and delve into a lot of territory that wasn't touched on in the IWADs. As a playtester who painstakingly searched for every secret, item, and kill, as well as a mapper who is quite familiar with the IWADs as well as most of the classic pwads from the last 17 years, I can safely say Reverie is pretty darn original.

I'm sorry to be "uncalm", but I take offense when someone who worked as hard as VF did is called "lazy".

you could think that, or you could take into account that I did play through the file.
I did not ONCE state that this set of maps were "Bad" but instead I gave the gameplay and design good marks, there were only a few parts that I said were lazy, and my main focus was the fact that there wasn't enough ammo and health in a majority of the maps to help the player along, giving them a treat so the say.
I was expecting a response from the author of this megawad to discuss it on a much more intelligible level than this.
I would love to play this on a higher difficulty, but with a higher difficulty comes the need for more health and ammo because ammo is less, monsters hurt more, and you're likely to come across some unavoidable traps and large hordes at a time.
Excuse me (princess) if I voiced an opposing opinion directed at a file which I actually will admit I like, it just requires a small tune up, not complete obliteration, so instead of you taking your sweet time to ream me out for speaking up, how about you let the author speak to me and leave it at that.
Sound good? does to me!

Reaku-the-crate said:

you could think that, or you could take into account that I did play through the file.
I did not ONCE state that this set of maps were "Bad" but instead I gave the gameplay and design good marks, there were only a few parts that I said were lazy, and my main focus was the fact that there wasn't enough ammo and health in a majority of the maps to help the player along, giving them a treat so the say.
I was expecting a response from the author of this megawad to discuss it on a much more intelligible level than this.
I would love to play this on a higher difficulty, but with a higher difficulty comes the need for more health and ammo because ammo is less, monsters hurt more, and you're likely to come across some unavoidable traps and large hordes at a time.
Excuse me (princess) if I voiced an opposing opinion directed at a file which I actually will admit I like, it just requires a small tune up, not complete obliteration, so instead of you taking your sweet time to ream me out for speaking up, how about you let the author speak to me and leave it at that.
Sound good? does to me!

Uhhhh.....?

I hear I'm Too Young To Die is pretty easy if that's what you're looking for. I think Hurt Me Plenty seems fine. It's a harder WAD and if you don't have the skills to fight the monsters with what ammo/health you have (eg. me) then play on an easier difficulty.

PRIMEVAL said:

I hear I'm Too Young To Die is pretty easy if that's what you're looking for. I think Hurt Me Plenty seems fine. It's a harder WAD and if you don't have the skills to fight the monsters with what ammo/health you have (eg. me) then play on an easier difficulty.

it seems you aren't getting it.
I've played some really difficult megawads, and i enjoy playing on high difficulties, but every file I've played has some sort of ammo and health over flow here and there to cope with the ammo loss and damage taken when it comes to fighting.
please think before typing, and actually READ what I'm posting.

Reaku-the-crate said:

it seems you aren't getting it.

no, reaku. you are the noobs. solution for your troubles: doublebind IDFA to your fire key.

dew said:

no, reaku. you are the noobs. solution for your troubles: doublebind IDFA to your fire key.

A. Learn English.
B. I don't you cheats you twit!
C. Was I addressing you? NO! I was addressing the author, when I get a few words with Valkiriforce, I'll shut up.

Reaku-the-crate said:

A. Learn English.

Learn in-jokes.

Reaku-the-crate said:

B. I don't you cheats you twit!

Learn English.

I mean, I don't think replacing "use" with "you" is a reference to a famous parody fanfiction.

Gez said:

Learn in-jokes.

Learn English.

I mean, I don't think replacing "use" with "you" is a reference to a famous parody fanfiction.

Anyone who knows me, knows I have some bad typos when I type too god damn fast...
Back on subject, I just feel the player should get a treat after fighting a horde of monsters, and if the author reads this, take that into account next time around.

Reaku-the-crate said:

What video? You must be blind.

-_-

Really?

I seriously hope your joking.

I've split off the Reaku branch of this thread so that genuine and useful feedback doesn't become lost in amongst the fallout from his posts.

And Reaku: stop making inflammatory and insulting posts to other members. Remember that they might know more about Doom and be more experienced with the game than you.

Reaku-the-crate said:

there were only a few parts that I said were lazy,

Ok, but you have yet to let us know specifically which parts were "lazy". Until you do that, it's tough to take that accusation seriously.

Reaku-the-crate said:

my main focus was the fact that there wasn't enough ammo and health in a majority of the maps to help the player along, giving them a treat so the say.

I'm not biased against less-experienced players. If anything, most of the maps I've made have been on the easy side difficulty-wise. But when the majority of playtesters rate the challenge level of Reverie as appropriate, I don't think VF should tone down the entire pwad to make it easier for a small minority of less skilled people.

Reaku-the-crate said:

I was expecting a response from the author of this megawad to discuss it on a much more intelligible level than this

The author did address you. And this is a forum where anyone can voice their opinion just as you can. So don't get mad when people other than the wad author weigh in on something you say.

Vordakk said:

Ok, but you have yet to let us know specifically which parts were "lazy". Until you do that, it's tough to take that accusation seriously.

I'm not biased against less-experienced players. If anything, most of the maps I've made have been on the easy side difficulty-wise. But when the majority of playtesters rate the challenge level of Reverie as appropriate, I don't think VF should tone down the entire pwad to make it easier for a small minority of less skilled people.

The author did address you. And this is a forum where anyone can voice their opinion just as you can. So don't get mad when people other than the wad author weigh in on something you say.

Thank you for specifying, I was under a different impression as to who made the file in the first place.
When I said lazy, I did not mean the entire wad, I meant that some parts were as like what I've seen in the original doom files, most of them in the beginning set of maps.
As for the maps, I was not instructing him to tone down the wad, it was a suggestion, but also a reminder that not every doom player is of high skill, and play testers can normally have the same or different conclusions to a map.
It's mostly for future reference as to making a map, you can read what I've typed and use it in the future or you can disregard it, I'm not trying to completely change everything, just letting it be aware.

I say, whether or not you decide to do this in the future, I do not care. So let's just leave it at that, and spare each other the headache. I made a stupid mistake rushing into that critique when I did, and this I admit.

Grazza said:

I've split off the Reaku branch of this thread so that genuine and useful feedback doesn't become lost in amongst the fallout from his posts.

And Reaku: stop making inflammatory and insulting posts to other members. Remember that they might know more about Doom and be more experienced with the game than you.

I'm sure there are more who know a great deal more about the game than I. Just be thankful I didn't say the file was complete crap, because it is not, it's very pleasing to appearance and play.

I can't feel any problem in remaking old room styles. It was valkiri's main aim, when he made this WAD: give the feeling of the classic WADs of the 90's.

Difficulty is another thing; it doesn't bother me, because I don't give up until I win.

Reaku-the-crate said:

As for the maps, I was not instructing him to tone down the wad, it was a suggestion, but also a reminder that not every doom player is of high skill.

And this is what "Hey Not too Rough" is for. Seriously. Some megawads have a higher difficulty than others, so that people like me who got bored to death with the Dtwid alpha can still enjoy a hard challenge on UV and don't have to fall asleep on the table by the 4th map, while at the same time less skilled Doom players can play the same mapset at a lower skill difficulty.

I would understand if you were complaining about the difficulty in HntR" but I fail to feel any sympathy for you when your complaining about difficulty yet at the same time refuse to pick a lower skill level.

DeathevokatioN said:

And this is what "Hey Not too Rough" is for. Seriously. Some megawads have a higher difficulty than others, so that people like me who got bored to death with the Dtwid alpha can still enjoy a hard challenge on UV and don't have to fall asleep on the table by the 4th map, while at the same time less skilled Doom players can play the same mapset at a lower skill difficulty.

I would understand if you were complaining about the difficulty in HntR" but I fail to feel any sympathy for you when your complaining about difficulty yet at the same time refuse to pick a lower skill level.

Yeah, the difficulty settings are there so you can decide how toned down you want the maps to be! Unless the author trolls lower-difficulty players by cramming every opening room with Cyberdemons / Archviles, there is really no excuse.