Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lordos_Rep

different features

When it comes to programing, I don't know shat. And yes I typed SHAT on purpose. My question is, how hard would it be to implement an internal AVI or MPEG player into a source port? It would be great for people that want a real story with cinema scenes for their mod.

Also what about a feature enabling 360 degree space flight in doom?

And damn, I hate all them popups

I haven't actually got round to testing it yet, but Zdoom has this implemented in the current beta version. (edit the AVI player that is).

The 360 fight. Again air control and gravity settings, plus a fly mode are all available in Zdoom too, so with a bit of cunning... (someone is working on something like this ATM I believe).

And damn, I hate all them popups

TO DISABLE POPUPS LOOK HERE. IF YOU MAKE A POST BITCHING ABOUT THE POPUPS I WILL KILL YOU.

That is at the bottom of the box where you make your posts.

Also what about a feature enabling 360 degree space flight in doom?

I don't know about 360 degree movement. This would mean the ability to fly up-side down. Probably not possible within currently available DooM port resources.

Has anyone of you played airquake? It would be great to have something like that made for doom.

I wouldn't know if this has actually been mentioned before, but with enough work and the right coder, do you think that 360 and flying upside down in doom could be possible? Would definately make for some interesting levels, especially if it only affected the level in certain areas.

Yeah, that would be cool.
But, *is* there a way as of now that would allow you to implent avis and mpeg, mpg, mov, etc. into Doom using EDGE? If not, how do I make it work with EDGE? (1.27)

About build-in AVI- or other movie format players... I think it would be far easier to make a source port that plays back specific demo's instead of movies. The designer will have recorded that demo on an extra level inside the WAD (eg. map33) that isn't part of the 'normal' player levels (map01-32).

The big advantages are of course that the programmer does not need to code something entirely new, and that the level designer does not need to create a movie. Especially with source ports that support scripting it would be very easy to make intermission movies just by creating a small level and a camera script (or just the designer moving through the level while recording).

Originally posted by Mordeth
About build-in AVI- or other movie format players... I think it would be far easier to make a source port that plays back specific demo's instead of movies. The designer will have recorded that demo on an extra level inside the WAD (eg. map33) that isn't part of the 'normal' player levels (map01-32).

The big advantages are of course that the programmer does not need to code something entirely new, and that the level designer does not need to create a movie. Especially with source ports that support scripting it would be very easy to make intermission movies just by creating a small level and a camera script (or just the designer moving through the level while recording).

IMO both is useful. Personally I prefer in-game cut scenes because the atmosphere, but some things just can't be done with the Doom engine (imageine some cutscene with a couple spacecrafts or something).
As for coding, AFAIK ZDoom uses DirectWhatever to play the videos, so I guess it was rather easy to implement.

Well if I may ask of peoples opinions in this matter, would CGI movies possibly lessen the gameplay of Doom since there is a big different graphics wise?

Originally posted by Lordos_Rep
would CGI movies possibly lessen the gameplay of Doom since there is a big different graphics wise?

At the resolution they would have to be, I doubt it. CGI wouldn't be too hard to render at such a small resolution that it fits in with the rest of the map.

Originally posted by Lüt
CGI wouldn't be too hard to render at such a small resolution that it fits in with the rest of the map.

Well, which is why I would prefer demo playback previously recorded in special 'script' levels. That way your movies are completely in line with the actual gameplay and -looks. Plus, it's way way more easier to do. So even if programmers don't have problem with built-in movie players, I'd still go with my idea ;)