Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MRB_Doom said:

Typical psy-op. Whenever the shit hits the fan, this "Active Denial System" makes a reappearance in the news, so that people associate US military == non-lethal, humane, etc.

Let's face it though...if US military occupation was for sale, nobody would buy it.

the DailyTech reported:
“The military says they've done over 11,000 exposures on people with only two injuries”

Read as: there will be no hesitation using it on you at the first chance. Since it's so "harmless", and you're a law-abiding citizen (you ARE, right?), what are you afraid of? At most you'll be one of those 2 poor fuckers out of 11000...

And as always, the question is not what the weapon is actually capable of or whether it's more or less harmful, but who will be at the receiving end and who will be behind the trigger, and on what presumption of moral higher ground or legitimization.

Let's be honest, such a weapon has zero tactical value in a real battlefield where the retaliation would be in the form of 7.62 mm rounds from AK-47s, RPGs, hand-grenades and IEDs. It is only useful vs (mostly) unarmed crowds, aka internal affairs.

It's first and foremost a crowd control weapon that'll probably be used by the police once they're satisfied it's "harmless" enough. Don't forget your sunglasses.

GreyGhost said:

Don't forget your sunglasses.

They wouldn't do much against the microwave bands used by the weapon. On the other hand, a full-body metal plate suit would help deflect and disrupt the beam.

It wouldn't need to be thick, just be fully-covering and have no gaps larger than a quarter of the smaller wavelength used by the weapon. Assuming they use microwave oven frequencies (2.4 GHz), that would mean a quarter of 12.5 cm. Any opening smaller than one inch would probably be safe.

OTOH, if you are determined to show up in a demonstration dressed up like that (plus anti-baton padding), you might as well join a proper guerrilla group and swap some real, manly lead and ordnance. At least you'll be more evenly matched with your opponents.

Maes said:

They wouldn't do much against the microwave bands used by the weapon.

Point taken, how about coating the lenses with a microscopically thin layer of gold?

GreyGhost said:

Point taken, how about coating the lenses with a microscopically thin layer of gold?

You'd still need to cover up your face and the rest of the body, as nothing would prevent the waves from simply going "around" the glasses.

Instead of full-body protection, a large metal shield with a thin slit for seeing would work.

GreyGhost said:

It's first and foremost a crowd control weapon that'll probably be used by the police once they're satisfied it's "harmless" enough. Don't forget your sunglasses.

I'm "looking forward" to seeing some upcoming videos of police brutality at Occupy Wallstreet.

DooMAD said:

US continues to think they police the globe and now starts making threats towards India over Iranian oil imports. Seriously, what arrogant bullshit. Where the fuck do they get off telling a sovereign nation who they can and can't buy oil from. I dare them to level the same threat at China, seeing as they import more Iranian oil than India. Megalomaniacal cunts.

When a country is ruled by an oligarchy such bold statements are not uncommon. The American people are so deeply isolated and when it comes to foreign policy, it surprises me that I have not yet seen massive pro-War (Iran, Syria, Uganda etc) rallies where people chant hysterically in support of military aggression towards whatever country that it's government wants to invade.

Maybe "they" will watch their mouths when President-elect Putin gets back into the Kremlin.

DooMAD said:

I dare them to level the same threat at China, seeing as they import more Iranian oil than India.

That's unlikely, China holds over $1.1 trillion in Treasury Securities. If they dumped a substantial percentage of those securities on the open market by way of retaliation for trade or economic sanctions, the US economy would be driven back into recession. By way of comparison, India only has about $43 billion of leverage.

GreyGhost said:

India only has about $43 billion of leverage.

Only?
imagine how many dumb war propagandic crankheads you could educate for better good with just an inch of that capital power (if it fall into intrests of any one holding that inch of those money regardless any nation having such inch of money)

but as we all know it everyone seems fine with constant political agression + wars etc etc

MRB_Doom said:

The American people are so deeply isolated and when it comes to foreign policy, it surprises me that I have not yet seen massive pro-War (Iran, Syria, Uganda etc) rallies where people chant hysterically in support of military aggression towards whatever country that it's government wants to invade.

I would like to see what all those "pro-War, Red Blooded Americans!" would do if compulsory drafting for fighting in foreign wars was re-introduced, Korea and Vietnam style. I bet their entire male population would migrate to Canada or Mexico the other day ;-)

Because, yeah, it's all so cool and perfect when "serving your country" means making $70K a year, not so cool when you have a WW2 soldier's paybook and you are sent away to fight, losing your desk job and with debts and mortgates running, huh? ;-)

Maes said:

I would like to see what all those "pro-War, Red Blooded Americans!" would do if compulsory drafting for fighting in foreign wars was re-introduced, Korea and Vietnam style. I bet their entire male population would migrate to Canada or Mexico the other day ;-)

Because, yeah, it's all so cool and perfect when "serving your country" means making $70K a year, not so cool when you have a WW2 soldier's paybook and you are sent away to fight, losing your desk job and with debts and mortgates running, huh? ;-)

Yeah it's cool to watch your country's war on TV but what if the "enemy" actually had a technical capability to counter-invade and start machine gunning people outside of your home or nearby neighborhood?

Sure, Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) still applies but what if an unknown entity somehow disable the missile silos (meaning the computer systems) and all the communications between the different parts of the military?

I like the discussion between the characters in 28 Days Later about the epidemic:

First it was on the news. But later, it was outside on the streets, it was coming through your windows.

---

Very scary scenario.

The US have the luck of being isolated on a "safe" continent, they were never under threat of a land-based invasion ever since they chased off the British. The MAD doctrine applies only to the use of nuclear weapons delivered by bombers that are aloft 24/7 or ICBMs with MIRVs that are nearly impossible to intercept, so the only serious threat was -and remains- Russia.

The US also has the advantage of a global network of military bases, global alliances and unmatched mobility and ability to project its military power: no matter where you are on the globe, you're no further than 2 hours away from an US air strike, and while you recover from the rubble, a joint land/air/sea invasion will take place in less than 24 hours, turning the war from a faceless bombing to a very personal and very real US Marine stomping your face with his boot and pissing on your corpse.

No other military superpower is actually able to replicate that. Take e.g. China: they may have a lot of manpower, but they could not seriously sustain operations beyond maybe 1000 nm of their coasts, and they would not have a thousand friendly bases, ports and airports around the world ready to serve their troops, ships and planes.

Maes said:

The US have the luck of being isolated on a "safe" continent, they were never under threat of a land-based invasion ever since they chased off the British. The MAD doctrine applies only to the use of nuclear weapons delivered by bombers that are aloft 24/7 or ICBMs with MIRVs that are nearly impossible to intercept, so the only serious threat was -and remains- Russia.

The US also has the advantage of a global network of military bases, global alliances and unmatched mobility and ability to project its military power: no matter where you are on the globe, you're no further than 2 hours away from an US air strike, and while you recover from the rubble, a joint land/air/sea invasion will take place in less than 24 hours, turning the war from a faceless bombing to a very personal and very real US Marine stomping your face with his boot and pissing on your corpse.

No other military superpower is actually able to replicate that. Take e.g. China: they may have a lot of manpower, but they could not seriously sustain operations beyond maybe 1000 nm of their coasts, and they would not have a thousand friendly bases, ports and airports around the world ready to serve their troops, ships and planes.

True. But I think it's time for the U.S. to get their asses kicked on their own soil.

Another note: Russia is a first rate military power outclassing the U.S. in some areas (e.g. ICBMs / Topol-M / Yars). But I also know that the Russian Navy is in deep shit at the moment and it will take years in order for them to match their American counterparts.

MRB_Doom said:

True. But I think it's time for the U.S. to get their asses kicked on their own soil.

The only way this would happen would be with a civil war, and with the military apparatus split into two or more equally capable factions.

Maes said:

The only way this would happen would be with a civil war, and with the military apparatus split into two or more equally capable factions.

I think there already exists different factions within the U.S. military. Here's my theory about this:

I believe one of the groups are a so called pro-War pro-Imperialism anti-Russia anti-China who still think aggressively towards the Russians and Chinese because they see that these two powers are emerging on the horizon to engage the U.S. in a nuclear conflict.

This faction flips military drills live and thus creates horrific scenarios on U.S. soil and starts wars in the Middle East and North Africa.

At this moment, this faction wants to expand it's might in South East Asia and is clearly sending a signal to the Chinese that they will become isolated in a matter of years and the mission is also to kick them out of Africa so they [U.S.] can get a hold of all the necessary minerals, strategic raw materials and so forth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The other faction is a more cautious party of people working in the military who express the desire to keep peaceful economic development in the world and not start wars simply because of the need for world domination.

This group is more interested in working with the Russians and the Chinese to explore the Solar System and beyond by beginning setting up a permanent base on the Moon in order for future missions to Mars and other planets.

World War III is not a principle issue for this faction, but rather interplanetary and interstellar exploration and ultimately, the path towards inter dimensional travel to find other realities that may prove to be extremely interesting when it comes to the truth of our universe and other dimensions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I would really like to able to get in touch with people from example NORAD, Area 51, S4, Offutt AFB and Barksdale AFB.

Given the laws and executive orders coming out of the US government, its pretty clear they are preparing for something. Just look at the National Defense Resources Preparedness - Executive Order: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/03/16/executive-order-national-defense-resources-preparedness

It give our government full control of our natural resources including the nations food and water supply in a "emergency." The whole thing is another step towards peacetime martial law. And just like the NDAA our government and media will do there best to sweep it under the rug or give us some kind of BS excuse to justify it.

Vintage alright. WW2-era torpedo boats, Katyushas and towed artillery, anti-aircraft guns from the 50's, helicopters from the 60's, fighters and rocket artillery from the 70's and tanks from the 80's (maybe). Some newer-looking hardware here and there but most of it belongs in a museum.

I like how they managed to blow up a drone aircraft at least twice. :D

I said:

I dare them to level the same threat at China, seeing as they import more Iranian oil than India.

Holy shit, they actually have threatened China with sanctions. I'm astonished. I wish them the very best of luck with shooting themselves in the foot. Seriously, go nuts.

I can picture myself a scenario: Air raid warning sounds off in the middle of the night and I go out and see all these fucking ICBMs in the sky. That's just beautiful. Why would you want to piss off China anyway?