Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

Are you buying MW3?

Well, are you?

The COD series divides opinion, I know. Nerds tend to frown upon it. To my non-nerdy friends, all with 360s, COD is where it's at. It is why we really have 360s, so friends in their late 20s who now live a long way apart can kill each other online.

Except that we don't. It's a great idea in theory but in practice we're all older now with women/jobs/interior decor decisions that come first and we only really play once in a blue moon - such was the case with MW2.

Or, we occasionally play on the friend who is most into his xboxing's xbox, at his place. And he has 4 controllers, so...

So, one other friend and I are considering rebelling and not buying. Look at the cost - £35 for the game on 360, we both need to renew live gold that's £30, then the map content that will be released is going to come to about another £35 - that's potentially £100 to play a full MW3 in the first year. You can't buy Hardened because it's sold out everywhere.

I can afford £100, but I think it's bullshit. Not making enough Hardeneds or any Prestige edition, I think that's bs too.

I think I'd rather buy Skyrim on PC and disappear into a hole over winter tbh.

But what do YOU think?

I've got MW2.... so that should cover me for black ops and MW3.

CoD simply is too stupid to play. I feel uneducated, and like my IQ is dropping as I continue to play through such a droll experience. What I find even more concerning is how people are able to spit out $60 on such frivolous games, such as CoD, and why they'd even want to do so in the first place.

So no, to hell with CoD.

I bought it. I just got on the 2nd Act in the campaign mode and it's pretty cool so far. I had a lot of fun with Spec-Ops, especially the Survival Mode. I played multiplayer for a bit. Kill Confirmed is interesting, but aside from that, it's more the same from MW1 and MW2, but with a few extra bells and whistles and whatnot.

I think the games are great. Nice little (linear, scripted) blast in single player that will enjoyably fill 4-5 hours on a middling difficulty - usually a solid multiplayer that works well in split-screen and also online if you can be bothered with that sort of thing... and a few extras (zombies, spec-ops, etc.).

However, for the money (particularly with DLC and Live Gold pushing prices up to the £100 mark) the 4-5 hour campaign isn't a lot better than a film that costs 10x as much as most new DVDs. If you've not got any mates locally, the 4-player splitscreen is useless (so now that I'm not at uni, I'd say that purpose is lost) and I've never bothered with online multiplay on the current generation of consoles. The extras might give you a nice extra few hours of gameplay on your own or with a mate or two even if you've not got online, so there's something.

Put all that together? It's a game I'd like to play, but not one I'd want to buy. Much like the previous iterations since CoD4, I'd much rather just have a mate or two that have the game and check it out with them when it's new, then forget about it. The problem is the games are pretty much disposable unless you buy into the online stuff in a big way. Then they'd maybe justify the money.... if there wasn't going to be another one next year and the year after.

Probably not. The COD games are fun enough to play when I get the opportunity, but I've never felt compelled to buy any of them. When you look at how good TF2 handled free updates, you really have to wonder why they don't just do each year's COD as a new DLC. They certainly haven't made any major improvements to the games presentation wise.

Eh, its just a rehash, so I don't feel compelled to buy it or anyth--*looks at friend list*... looks like I'm buying it after all. :/

Maybe in 2 years when the PC price goes down to half release price on Steam, or when I see a good deal on Amazon. Not paying $60 for the 4-6 hour campaign and a completely broken multiplayer system (no ranking up at all on dedicated server modes; have to play P2P for that!) that'll just frustrate me just to see where the Modern Warfare storyline goes.

No, I learned my lesson. Honestly the reason I fell in love with the Call of Duty series was the single player campaign. Call of Duty 1 and 2 still have awesome campaigns. Even Modern Warfare had a pretty good single player campaign. Then came the clusterfuck that was Modern Warfare 2's campaign and I just stopped bothering. Well, that and I paid full price for it, the rest were got on sale so I didn't feel that bad about dropping $20 for an 8-10 hour campaign. Never got into the multiplayer after the first one, and that seems to be their main focus now so I'll pass.

Besides, that money is reserved for Serious Sam 3.

Huh? There's a Modern Warfare 3? This is seriously the first I've heard of it.

I'm guessing that's a good sign. :P

I was recently reminded this the eighth title in the whole series.

Any game that couldn't grab my attention the first seven times, certainly isn't going to the eighth, ninth, or tenth time around.

scalliano said:

Sorry, I'll be too busy playing DoDonPachi Resurrection. I'm up to 8.5 billion at the moment, so I've got quite a long way to go :D

Looks like a goddamn bullet-hell nightmare. I'll take R-Type, MUSHA, Thunder Force, or Tyrian over these type of games any day. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

This will be the first Call of Duty game I won't be buying.

I know my opinion is in the minority around here but they're excellent games in MP. I think I'm just tired of procuring and playing the same game every 12 months.

Skyrim: 50-100 hours of play-time out of the box (I know Bethesda has boasted well over 300 hours but Elder Scrolls titles never last me nearly what they boast for length), plus an additional 20 or more hours between DLC, mods(!) and whatever else. As with prior Bethesda titles, I'm sure I will be able to play the game again a year from now and still mostly enjoy it.

Or...

MW3: 4-5 hour campaign and another 20 hours of MP before I become bored.

Activision announced a new Call of Duty already, as well. It will be available for Christmas 2012. So a year from now MW3 will then be dead, forgotten and will have limited to no replay value.

Answer should be fairly obvious.

To my non-nerdy friends, all with 360s

Heh.

The reason I don't play MP shooters is likely more because most of my friends don't play video games than because of any perceived design flaw, as much as I would like to believe it's just the latter.

Eh, might grab it on a steam/EB sale a few years down the track.

I really do wonder why they bother attaching a single player to this series at all. The Modern Warfare franchise surly is well enough established as a muiltiplayer experience. I read a little while ago that something like %35 of players never even start the single player campaign. That's %35 percent of player never seeing the scripted nonsense that art assets that game designers, artists, animators, voice actors, writers and QA spent a lot of time, energy and, lets face it: money getting made. Given the modern need among publishers to have all the players to see everything the game has to offer to justify the ridiculous budgets spent on these things you have to wonder if it would have at least crossed the mind of some asshole Activation accountant somewhere.