Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

DB2: "Sectors not closed"

Hi everyone, I'm getting this dreaded error message after mucking about with a few of my sectors. I wanted a raised platform with Imps patrolling it, silhouetted against the sky. I worked out how to do this by perusing good old Alien Vendetta in Doom Builder 2.

I loaded my map up and began to make tweaks, including the removal of a ridiculous number of lines and sectors that weren't needed, but now DB2 reports that two sectors are not closed. It offers no explanation of how to fix this. How do I fix this without buggering my entire map?

This is just a wild assumption because I don't normally use DB2 for anything, but notice how the imp platform doesn't have a textured floor in your map view? I would guess that one of the sidedefs on the linedefs of the sectors that make up the imp platform isn't closed.

You need to look at each linedef of nearby sectors and examine what sectors each side belongs to. The little tick on the linedefs means that is the front side. Each linedef can have a sidedef on each side of it, and each sidedef points to a different sector, usually.

Correcting something like this manually is trivial, but it helps knowing how sidedefs and sectors should be linked together.

For an easy solution, try going into "make sectors" mode and clicking on each of the imp platform sectors. This should fix any incorrect sidedef sector references. You might have to redo sector properties for those two sectors though, but at least your whole map won't be "mucked up". :)

Draw a line following the outline of the sector that should fix it I always use the Insert Item control to start drawing a line that way you can start drawing the line on a vertex of the sector much better than trying to double click with left mouse button. Double clicking to start will work but you would have to start somewhere inside the sector then drag the vertex afterwards.

Melon said:

The two linedefs by that leftmost "open sector" arrow don't look one-sided from here.

Nice catch. Fixing that one may be as simple as deleting the sidedef on the opposite side facing the void.

Where the four linedefs join on each side of the imp platform, try moving the vertex. If there are two vertices, move them back together and they should stitch. Then the make sector tool *should* work to make sectors out of the imp platform (they are currently in the void)

Also, the lindefs to the left are two sided, go to the linedef properties, sidedefs tab. Uncheck the back side box. In properties, set impassable.

Not sure if that helps any.

If you're too lazy to mess with the line/sector references manually, you might be able to fix it with DB2's Make Sectors mode. Hit the "M" key to enter the mode, and then click the cursor in the centre of your imp platform and its surrounding sectors.

If it's an issue with overlapping vertices or lines, though, then Make Sectors mode alone will probably not fix it.

If the three double-sided lines behind those imps are any indication, it looks like their platform's been built on top of the open sector. I'd start by deleting those lines, then switch to Sector mode and repair any lines don't light up when the mouse pointer's hovered over the platform or open sector.

Look at the sector that is reported as 'not closed'. If it is visually enclosed by lines and there are no gaps (not even tiny ones) then you can easily fix it with the Make Sector mode (as
Mithran said, M -> Click inside sector). If there are gaps, you have to close them with lines first. If the unclosed sector is 'outside' your map where you don't want a sector to be, simple remove the unclosed sector from the Sectors mode, or (like also said earlier) remove the excess sidedefs.

Wow, thanks for all the replies gents. I always try the "make sectors" thing and I have never yet seen it fix this issue, so as a couple of poeple suggested I'm just tracing around open sectors. I keep reminding myself that Doom is so old it's practically venerable, and there are bound to be tricky issues to work around.

I've got questions about why some of my lines seem to be double sided for no apparent reason, and I would also like to know how to "delete" sectors, so if I create a pillar in the middle of an existing sector the pillar can be "empty" rather than just having the floor match the ceiling height?

I can find out about sides and textures etc, but I don't know how to have "empty" pillars (so I don't have millions of unnecessary sectors on my more detailed maps).

To delete a sector and turn it into void space, press 'S' to enter sectors mode, select the sector you wish to delete, and then pressing the Delete key.