Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Amazing whiskey

An ounce of this stuff in a glass with a couple of ice cubes, swirled a bit, and I can barely tell that it contains alcohol. Amazing to me, considering the content is 47%. I'm not sure if I can ever go back to the original stuff now.

I'm more of a scotch guy than a bourbon guy, but yes, Single-Barrel Jack is some quality stuff, and for the price, I actually have wound up drinking more of this than, say... Oban.

I still drink beer more than either by a gigantic margin. Probably only get a new bottle of this stuff 2-4 times a year.

fraggle said:

Jack Daniels? Are you fucking kidding me? Get some decent single malt scotch, not that piss.

Funny that you would mention. This is actually the one other bottle of whiskey that I have right now:

I'm still working on acquiring this taste.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

I prefer Crown myself. Goes down smoother than regular Jack though I will take your word for it and give Single Barrel a go.

I recently finished a bottle. I probably won't touch it again. Just too diluted tasting. And the smoothness is absolutely not in the same ballpark as this stuff.

Deeforce said:

In germany we also have Jack Daniels. I will never leave this:

If you enjoy this then I can't possibly see how you wouldn't love the topic of discussion.

Based on what I've drank, gotta go with the scotch crowd when it comes to whiskey. I find Jack Daniels and Southern Comfort kind of sickly in taste.

Not that I'm much of a whiskey connoisseur. There might be a bourbon out there that I really like. So I'm not ready to dismiss all American whiskey as sickly when I've only tried two of them.

I've always liked Wild Turkey, it has a very strong, distinctive flavor. It lets you know you're drinking bourbon. Jack I really can't stand, it tastes watered down and weak, and honestly you can buy a handle of Lord Calvert for the same price and get pretty much the same taste.

Johnnie Walker Black, Breakfast of Champions. Accept no substitutes!

EDIT: Oh and uh, Glenfiddich never goes amiss.

AndrewB said:

I'm still working on acquiring this taste.

If you want to start trying single malts, start by getting yourself some Laphroaig. Can't really go wrong there.

Incredibly good value for money 1 lt = 10-12 BLV.

Technician said:

Share the spirits my way.

What are you at a party? Use a real glass.

fraggle said:

Jack Daniels? Are you fucking kidding me?

You realize that this is the single barrel right?

Anyway looks like the image of bourbon continues to be tarnished by JD#7 and the SWAs marketing. This is like if I stopped buying scotch because my first bottle was Ballantine's.

I'm more of a rum and wine guy, though mostly wine. Beer is like piss to me unless it's one of those "dark ciders" like Strongbow or Crispin.

Glen Orchy (from LIDL) is quite decent as far as cheap "pure malt" whiskeys go (it's actually a mixed pure malt/vatted malt, not single):

Along with the more expensive Ben Bracken (which is actually single malt), they generally satisfy my refined tastes. I'd say that the Black Ram Bulgarian whiskey is at least as good as the Glen Orchy one, and a lot cheaper, at it ;-)

Jack Daniels tastes like licking a barrel. I prefer Crown Royal. Mixes well with coke (one of the few ways you'll get me to drink soda). Southern Comfort is also tasty as hell. I think that's all the whiskey I've ever had.

I've bought single-malt scotches as gifts before but never for myself. I actually almost never drink whiskey. It burns my mouth just a bit more than I like (yes, even the good stuff). I figure that I still have too many living taste buds to be able to appreciate it, or maybe I'm just a pussy. In either case, it's strange that I can comfortably down a Prairie Fire (whiskey and Tobasco, in more or less equal parts), unless I can taste the whiskey.

Oooh Whiskey!

Let's see.. Jameson, Johnny Walker Red/Black label, Chivas Regal. Other than that, Canadian Club is nice too. I don't mind Jack Daniels either, but I'm not really a fan of American Whiskeys in general.. they taste a bit ant-ish and lacking something compared to the Irish/Scotch Whiskeys.. Just a matter of taste I suppose. Would like to try the expensive ones eventually, that is, when I break out of the 'poor-university student' stereotype and have a decent amount of money.

I like whisky, but I've never had enough of it to develop strong preferences. I've been drinking a lot less of it since 2006. Bad day at work caused me to drink most of a bottle of bourbon. A random girl at the party was freaked out by me passing out and I woke up on a gurney in the ER. I was wearing a plastic diaper and had an IV stuck in my right hand. I was physically incapable of drinking whisky for quite a while after that. It made me instantly sick.

Now as for what I was drinking, I don't remember. Given my friend's whisky preferences, I'm sure it was some kind of Jim Beam -- quite possibly the rye. I should ask that guy some time. I know it went down smooth that night... too smooth.

That had a positive side effect: I don't like getting drunk despite how much I drink. I suspect people like me better when I'm not plastered at parties.

I usually prefer beer, wine or gin. Tasty if done right; disgusting if done wrong.

I am a big fan of Scottish single malt whisky. My favourite is laphroaig but is is very "surgical" in nature and certainly not to everyone's taste. That is one reason why I currently have a collection of about 20 different single malts. :D

For one of the best all-round Scottish malts, you can't do much better than The Macallan.