Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
xvertigox

Top level/div 1 players/demos?

I'm after some demos and information on top, top tier players both in dueling and SP. I'm particularly interested in the SP side of things. Once a game has been around and active for a long time people get obscenely good to the point where things are almost as efficient as possible. If you know much about Quake or StarCraft you'll know what I mean. Top tier play is totally different to everything below it. Every minute detail matters hugely at that level of play so you need to try to be perfect in your mechanics.

Does this exist in the Doom universe? It's been out long enough but I honestly have no clue as to how good players have become/were. The three things that interest me are
a) how good SP players are
b) how good duelers are
c) how dueling works in Doom - timings, map control, weapon balance, movement etc

If anyone has any info, input or demos I would really appreciate it :]

What does SP stand for in this case? I only understand that acronym to mean "single player", which doesn't make too much sense in the context of your post.

Melon said:

What does SP stand for in this case? I only understand that acronym to mean "single player", which doesn't make too much sense in the context of your post.

Yeah, singleplayer. What I mean is people who are extremely good at say, playing a very hard map for the first time. Seems to me that it would largely revolve around movement/positioning and weapon use/ammo conservation. I wouldn't use wads like Sunder as a benchmark as it has very linear gameplay from what I've seen/played. It's hard to articulate but I don't mean generic good players, i.e can finish HR/HR2/AV/DV etc but people who are simply amazing. One of the key factors I think would be being able to do well in a brand new map so it's not a matter of remembering where items/monsters are.

Oh OK. The rest of the post seemed really multiplayer oriented so I thought you were referring to some sort of multiplayer mode.

The FDA thread in the speed demos section might interest you. There is also the occasional FDA contest, but I can't find any of those threads at the moment.

Melon said:

The FDA thread in the speed demos section might interest you. There is also the occasional FDA contest, but I can't find any of those threads at the moment.

Thanks heaps for the link, I'll definitely check out a whole lot of those demos. The only thing is I have no reference point except for myself, I can see that a player is good but I don't know exactly how good. Guess I need to just watch the demos and see what I can find out. Thanks again.

Your best bet is to scout DSDA, specifically the top20. Quantity doesn't mean quality, of course, but some of the best runners are also very prolific.

TimeOfDeath is an exceptional player who proved he could record at a very high level on many different kinds of wads/gameplay, as well as ports and rules. While I'm not sure how well does he do on FDAs specifically, he's probably either at the peak of current SP skill or very close to it, and I'd suggest watching his demos.

Other than that, hmm... I can think of several names that are good in one or multiple specific areas (i.e. speeding, tricks, maxes on classic maps, maxes on slaughtermaps, etc..), but not many players that are as complete. First attempts don't seem to get much competitive attention, if at all. In this community people seem more interested in optimizing stuff with perfect knowledge.

i'll modify what phml said - check DSDA top20 wads. wads with the most intensive activity tend to accumulate the best demos and most optimized efforts.

sidenote: doom and doom2 tables aren't complete, because andy olivera isn't done copying the compet-n database over. c-n is on hiatus for long years now, however it produced some of the best demos ever and was concentrated around iwads mainly.