Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spazman

Black Sabbath is making another album and scheduling another tour

Are they going to try and autotune Ozzy Osbourne's voice so it doesn't sound quite so awful?

I saw Ozzy last January and he put out a great performance, but it was the beginning of tour. However, his tour back in 2007 was very painful to watch because he was finishing his leg.

As long as he doesn't strain his voice, he'll pull it off. And even if Ozzy sucks, Tony and Geezer can still perform magic. I'm not too sure about Bill, though.

I'll definitely buy my ticket for this show, but I can foresee them being hard to get.

AgentSpork said:

Are they going to try and autotune Ozzy Osbourne's voice so it doesn't sound quite so awful?

I don't know, but I sure hope he does another commercial or perhaps a duet with Justin Beiber. Ozzy is a washed up parody of himself now.

Fuck yeah, these guys are one of the coolest bands I know. Love 'em.

I really hope the album doesn't turn out too bad.

EDIT: I would've made this thread if I hadn't had to go out just now. x(

Use3D said:

I don't know, but I sure hope he does another commercial or perhaps a duet with Justin Beiber. Ozzy is a washed up parody of himself now.

You would be to if you sat through 30-odd years of drugs and alcohol.

Technician said:

As long as he doesn't strain his voice, he'll pull it off.

You also have to take into account that Ozzy is 62 now. As a singer ages, his voice(that is to say the vocal folds, which are basically twin mucous membranes) become weaker and less flexible, like the rest of his body. Thus it becomes harder or impossible to hit notes that you once could. One of the reasons why I have so much respect for Dio is because even up until his untimely death(age 67), he still sounded great.

But yeah, drugs and the traditional rock and roll lifestyle will also put a hurtin' on a voice real fast, and I have a feeling that Ozzy did his fair share.

Use3D said:

Wash your mouth with soap NOW!

Technician said:

Or married to Sharron Osbourne.

You have to admit, the only reason she and those kids of theirs are famous is because her husband and their dad is Ozzy Osbourne. None of them have done anything especially remarkable except swear a lot on some insipid reality TV show.

Use3D said:

Ozzy is a washed up parody of himself now.

Implying he took himself seriously in the first place.

Unlike most people, I never liked the Dio lineup. I was lucky enough to see the original lineup perform at Ozzfest back in 2001. It was pretty fucking spectacular, especially with Marilyn Manson opening for them.

So a whole album of new songs? Mite b cool... The two songs they did for Reunion were a little underwhelming, though. They sounded more like re-purposed Ozzy tracks.

Saw them twice - once with Ozzy and once with Dio.

Had the first five albums and Heaven and Hell.

I'm just not interested anymore.

"Sharon Arden (later Sharon Osbourne), daughter of Black Sabbath manager Don Arden, suggested former Rainbow vocalist Ronnie James Dio to replace Ozzy Osbourne in 1979."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sabbath#Heaven_and_Hell_and_Mob_Rules_.281979.E2.80.931982.29

Use3D said:

Well it can't suck any harder than Lulu, so who knows.

LOL!

I'm semi-interested in this album. Hopefully it will make up for all the stuff they released after Paranoid.

AgentSpork said:

I hope your not serious, because autotuned voices don't belong in real metal, let alone music, and would just bring even more attention to his voice.

Exciting news, and obviously it would be great if they could recreate some of the magic of the early Sabbath sound. I'm just hoping one of two scenarios do not play out:

1) Out of desperation, the band goes for a "modern" aesthetic and ends up sounding like a mere shell of their original style.

2) They try to go for their traditional, highly distinctive sound, only to fall flat and come off as a bunch of over-the-hill geezers who just can't pull it off.

DeathevokatioN said:

I hope your not serious, because autotuned voices don't belong in real metal, let alone music, and would just bring even more attention to his voice.

Yeah, autotune sounds awful when abused. When used correctly, you don't notice it, that's the idea. And I'd bet whatever I have in the bank that Ozzy's voice has been autotuned on the last several albums he's made.

I doubt it. Autotune is typically reserved for music where perfect vocal pitch and melody are actually crucial to the overall sound - i.e. electronic music - I just don't see heavy metal producers resorting to it to correct the tune of vocalists who often have to scream over the top of the music anyway.

Admittedly a lot of pop music could be described (by me) as tuneless shite, but my point still stands. :P

Lite Sparkle said:

DO WANT!

TheSpazztikOne said:

amazing as this sounds (to me)

Why is everyone so interested in this "we're bald and fat and shit at music now but we're broke so we're gonna get back together and do a tour and an album" stuff? Whenever this happens, isn't it like a 95% chance it will end up like this:

GoatLord said:

1) Out of desperation, the band goes for a "modern" aesthetic and ends up sounding like a mere shell of their original style.

2) They try to go for their traditional, highly distinctive sound, only to fall flat and come off as a bunch of over-the-hill geezers who just can't pull it off.

I mean, is everyone so mindlessly devoted to the same 5 bands that they refuse to look for new bands that are actually in their prime and instead wait for those 5 bands to come back and cough up half-assed attempts at music while begging at the table for scraps?

It's hard to get excited when so many new bands are beyond terrible. Maybe that's just me being cynical, but nearly every new band I hear disappoints me.

DuckReconMajor said:

Why is everyone so interested in this "we're bald and fat and shit at music now but we're broke so we're gonna get back together and do a tour and an album" stuff? Whenever this happens, isn't it like a 95% chance it will end up like this:I mean, is everyone so mindlessly devoted to the same 5 bands that they refuse to look for new bands that are actually in their prime and instead wait for those 5 bands to come back and cough up half-assed attempts at music while begging at the table for scraps?

Eh, sometimes it works out:

Okay, it only ever worked for Devo.

Ah, Devo. Love their work, old and new. I can't think of any "new" bands I like, at least not off the top of my head. I can think of newer releases, but they're from bands that have been around 10, 20, even 30 or 40 years. As far as bands that have only been around for a few years and have only one or two studio releases, nothing comes to mind. I mean, there's Grizzly Bear, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, groups like that, but I only listen to them if a friend is playing their music. They're not compelling enough for me to listen to privately, for my own entertainment. It's funny because I feel like my dad in that sense, who doesn't like much music past the early 1980s. Except I actually check out new music, thinking there's something great out there, and I never find it. Every time I find an exciting band I've never heard before, it's always a group that has been around for a long time.

Jimmy91 said:

Autotune is typically reserved for music where perfect vocal pitch and melody are actually crucial to the overall sound - i.e. electronic music - I just don't see heavy metal producers resorting to it to correct the tune of vocalists who often have to scream over the top of the music anyway.

To be fair though, Ozzy hasn't been very "metal" for quite a while now. Do you think he goes with "heavy metal producers" to do his records? Probably about as "heavy metal" as Bob Rock(i.e. not metal at all). And I can definitely tell just by ear that Ozzy uses autotune. I just listened to "Life Won't Wait"(which has a few acoustic parts) and the vocal processing is quite noticeable. This article seems to back me up on that, though obviously you can't take everything this dude says as fact.

Will likely catch their headline slot at Download Festival this year, provided there isn't a band on another stage that I want to see more.