Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

The Shores of Hell - E2M2 / E2M7 - The damaging blue light floor

Any deal what that is suppose to signify? Exposed electrical panels? I figure a nerd or two might come up with a speculation because this oh so bothers me right now. Is there any notable PWADs that employ it as a damaging floor or is this just an oddity of D1's E2?

It's not exactly an oddity if you consider m5's damaging floor in front of the marble face. I would assume the damage there is "because evil!" so it's not too big a stretch to imagine strobing lights as damaging. I'd put money on your electrical panel theory.

But I'd put even more money on Petersen not bothering to care.

There are 'Voltage' signs in the betas similar to the 'Poison' signs that made it into the final game. I'd bet that these signs would have been used in such an area had they not been scrapped for whatever reason.

Marnetmar said:

I always imagined it as being an extremely hot surface. Not sure why.

Because it looks like a cooker?

esselfortium said:

I always imagined it was emitting some sort of radiation.

Ditto.

Memento Mori does have some areas (I remember MAP22 but corrige me if I'm wrong) where it has TLITE6_5 as floor and many wall textures remind you of that you must wear a radiation shielding suit in order to not to get hurt.

Also, there is a green "X-ray" thing in 2002ADO E2M3 (also appears in E5M1) that seems to be quite radioactive. That's why it warns you not to enter without wearing protective clothing.

I think those are the only maps that use the sector effect of flashing lights + 20 damage right?

Off the top of my head, I would say yes. I did a runthrough of doom.wad recently to check out id's use of damaging sectors, and the only other places that use 20-damage specials are lava flats (which, interestingly, are consistently 20 damage, no less) and a few oddball FWATER spots in E3M3. None of those blink, IIRC.

Episode 4 maps use lava with 10% damage, which is a telltale sign that the map will involve lots of wading through it.

Why are so many people saying radiation? The thing is pretty obviously electrical looking.

Edit: Technicially electricity IS a form of electromagnetic radiation but I have a feeling most of the people saying it's radiation aren't thinking of it in such a way.

If it were radiation then Doomguy wouldn't suffer any immediate ill effects. He would just look a little bit more gray and sallow when he's clutching Daisy's head at the end of episode 4.

Creaphis said:

If it were radiation then Doomguy wouldn't suffer any immediate ill effects. He would just look a little bit more gray and sallow when he's clutching Daisy's head at the end of episode 4.

I dunno about that. What about all the time he spends wading through the stuff in e1?

GreyGhost said:

They're life force collection zones for soulsphere generators - I thought everyone knew that.

Someone make this into a wad now.

Creaphis said:

If Doom featured a realistic portrayal of health hazards and their medical consequences, you would get damage not by walking over dangerous sectors, but just by being within their vicinity.

And damage received from nukage or lava pits would not be healed by medikits.

Finally, the radsuit wouldn't protect against lava.