Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insanoflex312

New Megawad "Hell Awakened"

Hell Awakened is a new 32-level megawad created entirely by me(see credits) that was inspired by Doom 64, Doom and many others. Features: Classic-style gameplay with a semi-slaughter.wad feel to it. Some new textures have been added which were created by me, and a surprise is set for the ending. Compatible with Zdoom but I haven't checked what else it would be compatible with. One note: It requires Plutonia. That will be changed in the form of a texture patch that will be incoming once I start making the new songs. New songs will be Doom 64 style ambient songs so watch out for them in the coming month or two. If you find bugs or thing you feel should be changed that are bug-like, send me an email detailing the problem and where it is in the wad and I will email you a copy of the fixed map or wad file.

Once it makes it to the idgames archive, it will be ready for your enjoyment. Again, all feedback is encouraged, positive or negative since I am already making a sequel.

edit: ftp://archives.gamers.org/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/ha.zip
On to screenies:
http://img25.imageshack.us/g/screenshotdoom201011121.png/

DoomHero85 said:

download is gone :(

OP needs to either reupload to Mediafire (or another uploading site) or email Ty requesting /newstuff processing ASAP.

Probably the first option would be most appropriate.

What the fuck happened to MediaFire. I can't download it.

[...]

It appears you have to now have an account in order to download files. Which don't seem to really download to your computer, you open the RAR/zip up inside your browser and extract the contents.

I think you should switch to Limit Removing format. You don't use any zdoom features in your maps and you have only one DECORATE monster which can be made with DEHACKED too, I think.

Found some bugs and missing secret tags, so a "patch" is imcoming. It'll be named "HAv2" and contain only the fixes so it won't be so big. Expect it in about a week.

Planned changes: Editing so limit removing ports will work
Adding Plutonia textures so it will work with Doom II
Fixing missing secret tags, etc.
May add more secrets, and lighting effects.

I tried this out, I thought the level layouts were pretty good however there is a major element lacking that severely diminishes the quality of this wad simply put the lighting. There is basically no lighting in this wad it's for the most part a uniform light level which I think really harms the over quality. If I were you I would go through each level and concentrate solely on creating nice lighting, shadows etc. I think a lot of the other comments "Too bland", "Hardly any ZDoom/Skulltag features", "Too symmetrical" are dwarfed by this issue. You should really concentrate on doing this then work on the nitpicking issues after.

Doesn't work in intended source port? I have the latest version of ZDoom but this crashes and burns when I try to load it. Something about "init failed for output type WASAPI".

EDIT: Just tried it with the latest SVN build. That also crashes. Is this something on my end? I really feel like I shouldn't be having problems loading a ZDoom specific wad.

EDIT2: Nevermind! I think I was having an issue with the audio on my laptop here. Strange.

I've made it up to level 4 or 5 and so far I must say I'm rather impressed. I'm playing on I'm Too Young to Die because that's generally how I roll. But there are lots of clever parts so far, and I like the new textures. I'll give further updates as I progress.

I've got a week off work coming shortly, can't wait to play this. The screenies appeal to me like you were making the maps just for me.

Memfis said:

I think you should switch to Limit Removing format. You don't use any zdoom features in your maps and you have only one DECORATE monster which can be made with DEHACKED too, I think.

also, making it not zdoom-only likely means that there will be more demos for it, since that's what most players use for recording. prboom/glboom demos play back on a double click, while for zdoom you always need the right version, which is a bit of a hassle.

i really like the third screen with the ceiling structure against the red sky, and generally the plutonia style.

You seriously should upload your files to a website like Mediafire which stores files for an unlimited amount of time. Megaupload and Rapidshare are terrible. Always have been and probably always will be.

for some reason, my wad is on the archive but I can't find it on the /idgames page. I'd like to be able to read the troll comments about my wad.

Link to wad from the archive put into OP.

thanks for the bug finds. In map07, lindef is easier to trigger if you lower the lift in front of it. Unfortunately another bug has been found.

Spoiler

The silent teleport only tiggers once, and it is impossible to get back down if you try to go back up the lift.

are there player starts for co-op? I added a feature to scoredoom where players can teleport to each other w.o. using cheats, to handle wads that don't support co-op, but player starts are helpful for no telefragging at start ;-)
Look forward to trying this out, congrats on getting near the finish line after all these years :-)