Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I'myourtarget

Steam gets hacked

Those fucking hackers deserve jail. I don't like steam neither, but there are people like me, who needs steam in order to play Half Life 2 !

I changed my password to be safe, though my credit crd details were stored. I'll get it changed when the bank is open.

Pain in the ass.

Why are you guys still using credit or debit cards attached to a bank account for buying things online? Get your self a prepaid card and use that. Yes, you will have to pay a fee to load money into it. But a 3 dollar fee nothing compared to what can happen if some one gets your card info.

And of course people are posting threads on the steam forum demanding free games.

No really, they are.

Craigs said:

And of course people are posting threads on the steam forum demanding free games.

No really, they are.

"You've caused me a mild inconvenience and riled up my internet paranoid parents. I feel I'm entitled to free shit."

Technician said:

Oh yeah and die steam, die!

This. I certainly don't want anyone to have their personal information stolen, and I generally don't condone criminal hacking. But boy I do hate the fuck out of Steam. DRM blows in general. I'm all for game companies finding a way to stop piracy, but when their DRM crap interferes with consumer rights and makes the gaming experience more hassle than fun, they've failed. Take GTA IV for instance(not a Steam game, but still). You have to have like 4 or 5 programs running in addition to GTA IV for it to work properly. You have to register all these accounts and jump through a bunch of hoops just to play the game you paid $50 for. So Microsoft or whoever can market to you and log your goddamn "achievement points" or "trophies" or whatever the fuck they are. GFWL, Steam, SecuROM, etc...they all suck hard and are prone to malfunctioning and creating a hassle for people who bought their game legally.

These days I mostly look for games that come out of gog.com, which has a "no DRM" policy. Download the game and it's yours. Double-click and play, nice and simple. Nobody tracking me as I play. No pop-up bullshit. Just let me play the game I paid for.

I haven't bought anything on Steam in god knows how long, and my old credit card details have expired. Most of my Steam games just happen to use Steamworks, which is why I have that software on my system. So I'm not in any real danger (what, someone is going to hack my achievements?).

J

Vordakk said:

This. I certainly don't want anyone to have their personal information stolen, and I generally don't condone criminal hacking. But boy I do hate the fuck out of Steam. DRM blows in general. I'm all for game companies finding a way to stop piracy, but when their DRM crap interferes with consumer rights and makes the gaming experience more hassle than fun, they've failed. Take GTA IV for instance(not a Steam game, but still). You have to have like 4 or 5 programs running in addition to GTA IV for it to work properly. You have to register all these accounts and jump through a bunch of hoops just to play the game you paid $50 for. So Microsoft or whoever can market to you and log your goddamn "achievement points" or "trophies" or whatever the fuck they are. GFWL, Steam, SecuROM, etc...they all suck hard and are prone to malfunctioning and creating a hassle for people who bought their game legally.

These days I mostly look for games that come out of gog.com, which has a "no DRM" policy. Download the game and it's yours. Double-click and play, nice and simple. Nobody tracking me as I play. No pop-up bullshit. Just let me play the game I paid for.

I actually find Steam very convenient. The steam overlay lets me check websites and PMs without having to constantly alt tab and being able to see which friends own the same games as me helps me get multiplayer games going easily. Hell, it even makes sharing screenshots easier. Normally I'd have to hit print screen, alt tab, open paint, paste the image, save it, then upload it to an image hosting site before I could share it. With Steam all I have to do is hit f12, open up the steam overlay, and then upload the screenshot to the steam cloud.

Craigs said:

I actually find Steam very convenient...

http://webdevsys.com/steamingPileOfShit.htm
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Steam-Sucks/112628918766386
http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?93895-The-Official-quot-Steam-sucks-quot-thread
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/27540578

Typing "steam sucks" into Google results in a litany of hits(granted some are ignorant users or morons). There are pages and pages of people ranting about how Steam has screwed up in one fashion of another, many with legitimate gripes. I realize that the idea of the Steam cloud is ambitious and massive, and thus more prone to faults than something on a smaller scale, but come on. Steam has been around for years now, it should function better than it does. I also realize that the digital age is upon us and this is the direction things are going, but I come from a time when games came in huge boxes that you could hold in your hands, so it's hard for me to accept that I merely own a "license" to play a game now, rather than a hard copy that I can sell or trade as I please. And that I must be logged into the internet at all times to play a fucking SINGLE-PLAYER game(GFWL is especially guilty of this, e.g. Bioshock 2, Bulletstorm).

That said, I'm glad you like it and that it works for you. But it isn't perfect, and I say it still has a long way to go before I'd consider using it again.

Hacking, even so-called "ethical" hacking is something that I do not support. So, I would rather this hadn't happened and I feel sorry for anyone who loses out because of this. However, I'll happily LOL at anyone who has, in the past, told me how secure Steam is and how something like this doesn't happen with Steam. ;)

And you'll be pleased to know that I have no intention of saying anything further on the matter. :P

I was able to change my regular Steam Account password/secret question (for good measure) without a problem. However, for the life of me, I can't find the place to change the password for my forum account. I'm able to log in, but obviously can do nothing else but see the message from Gabe. Is there somewhere else where I can change the forum password?

Satyr000 said:

Why are you guys still using credit or debit cards attached to a bank account for buying things online?

Who said I was? I have a credit card as it offers fairly good protection and has an extremely low limit. Its the banks money that will be lost, not mine, unlike a debit card.

It appears that in this past week, somebody broke into the steam database and had access to "...information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information."

However on the bright side, steam has assured us that "We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating."

What are your thoughts on this breach faf?

I feel that we might have the same mess as we did with PSN.

Vordakk said:

Typing "school sucks" produces a litany of hits.
Typing "lungs suck" produces a litany of hits.
Typing "GoG sucks" produces a litany of hits.

Also these links you posted, without the exception of the third one (which is more along the lines of outdated since Steam has changed heavily since 2003) are just so unbelievably stupid it's hilarious.

The first one complains about "forced updates" whic can actually be turned off and then goes on to complain about how it would prevent you from playing a quick online match, which would require you to update anyway. Oh and let's take a look at the last sentence which is complaining that in the setup menu that in the language selection English has an american flag next to it.

You see, the north Americans choose bigotry over form and convention. Kind of like 'It's our way, or the highway'. They may not realise it, but small things like this can offend non-Americans.

yeah...

With the gamespot link:

Their steam client is spying on your machine checking if you have any pirated games. In case it believes that there any such games, your account with ALL the games in it will be blocked FOREFER. Often they block innocent users despite they have proofs that they bought every game on steam, and never reply to their support tickets. They may block you only if you are saying something about piracy on their forums.

Wrong

They have paranoid antifraud system that blocks legitimate users from purchasing games while they are traveling (especially during holiday sale)

Wrong

Downloads are VERY slow, especially when new title is just out.

Depends on your internet connection and no shit downloads are slow during new releases

And finally with the Facebook group, I'll just go ahead and go with the one that sums up why it's so unbelievably stupid since I don't really feel like picking apart each and every single one.

Modern Warfare 3 requires steam, Battlefield 3 doesn't. Decisions...decisions..

Battlefield 3 requires Origins to play.

Already changed my password. Luckily I changed all my passwords to different things after that last round of hacks, so its not like anyone would have been able to access anything else with it.

Changed my Password, however I didn't use credit card to make some purchases, so I guess unless they hacked into Paypal too I'm okay.

Wow, So gabe was upfront about it, honest about it, and promised to find out what really happened as soon as possible, and derpers threw it at his face.

good god I hate people.

Csonicgo said:

Wow, So gabe was upfront about it, honest about it, and promised to find out what really happened as soon as possible, and derpers threw it at his face.

good god I hate people.

Origin is magnitudes worse. Steam doesnt' even require CC information anymore. It's as if they listened to complaints and fixed their shit. DRM isn't so DRMmy if they let you modify your game and use it on any computer using the STEAM client.

heck, they let you keep a copy of your game files too.

Yeah, I used to hate steam until they addressed those things. Anyone whining about it now has a chip on their shoulder, or are misinformed.

or you're just whiny manchildren.

Csonicgo said:

Yeah, I used to hate steam until they addressed those things. Anyone whining about it now has a chip on their shoulder, or are misinformed.

I didn't realize that Valve addressed the issues as you say they did. It's been like 7-8 years since I've used Steam. So I'll concede some of what I said earlier.

Never heard of Origins though. Guess I'm not buying enough new games.

Vordakk said:

I didn't realize that Valve addressed the issues as you say they did. It's been like 7-8 years since I've used Steam. So I'll concede some of what I said earlier.

And there's the problem. Back then Steam was notoriously bad and pretty much almost universally hated. They've made drastic improvements over the years.

Vordakk said:

you don't want Origin. it's EA. That's enough to scare any knowledgeable gamer.

I don't think I've run steam in months. I have HL2, that's it. No other information is in there. This machine is too old for much gaming anymore.

I like Steam. However, I also understand some people do not like it and that is their choice. Many complaints are baseless or misinformed but when issues like this arise, people have a good excuse to dislike it and it is hard to argue with them. Admittedly, at this point in time, I have a hard time imagining what the PC platform would look like without Steam. I tend to think PC gaming would be significantly worse off right now without Steam but that is purely speculation.

That said, while I never save my credit card information because I don't really trust anyone with that, I can't help but think it doesn't matter since Steam probably saves the number somewhere anyway. I'm not really worried about this specific hack but if someone starts fucking with my account or using my credit card info I'm going to be pissed.