Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Poll: What's more satisfying?

Which is more satisfying?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more satisfying?

• One shotting a Mastermind is more satisfying
    • Blowing up a room full of zombiemen and watching them crisp is more satisfying
    • I don`t care as long as I get my pizza and beer at the end of the day

Phml said:

I'll go with oneshotting a mastermind. It's just so rare, always leaves me dumbfounded while watching the second BFG shot I already charged up hitting a wall uselessly. :P

I nearly always kill them in one shot. I've never played a map where you fight one without the BFG, so I'm currently building one. From my limited experience, they are considerably harder without a BFG, probably more deadly than the Cyberdemon. With the BFG, the Spider Demon is a piece of piss, a joke of a boss.

EDIT: I've seen plenty of UV-Max speedruns on various megawads where the Cyber always dies in 2 BFG shots. I've never achieved this, it always takes a minimum of 4, but then again I've never liked how the BFG works and rarely use it.

MajorRawne said:

I nearly always kill them in one shot. I've never played a map where you fight one without the BFG, so I'm currently building one. From my limited experience, they are considerably harder without a BFG, probably more deadly than the Cyberdemon. With the BFG, the Spider Demon is a piece of piss, a joke of a boss.

Spider mastermind is joke of a boss even without BFG.
Some situations:
0) Mastermind + BFG = dead mastermind.
1) Mastermind + some way to hide from his minigun (even 1-thick pillar is enough) = dead mastermind.
2) Very long distance between you and mastermind + enough ammo = dead mastermind because he misses 99% of times.
3) 99999 masterminds in one room = 99998 dead masterminds because of infighting.
4) Mastermind + blockmap bug = stuck mastermind.

On topic:
BFGing a full room of zombies is not satisfying. Instead it makes me think that BFG is weak because BFG does not look as cool when used on crowds as rocket launcher (which poduces more flying gibs). BFG looks more cool when used on crowds on flying monsters: one shot and everything falls. But oneshotting a mastermind is satisfying because it is oneshotting the biggest monster in Doom.

In ZDoom, with the blockmap fix, sure. On "oldschool" ports, killing them with one shot at point blank is a fairly rare occurrence.

For John's Sake, it's Spiderdemon, Mastermind is a shitty Doom2 replacement name!

Now - to the point, easilly killing a Spiderdemon, without it's retaliation, is not fun, it's unfortunately lame. Given the options - gibbing a whole room of zombiemen is definitely more satisfying, if only because of the great gibbing sound, especially if you do it by shooting a single, distant barrel.

Blowing up a room full of zombiemen and watching them crisp is more satisfying

Ludicrous gibs!
This is specially satisfying because it's hard to happen. The only place I can have this is that wooden room with 20+ zombiemen in E2M5 if'm not wrong.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

The only place I can have this is that wooden room with 20+ zombiemen in E2M5 if'm not wrong.

The infrequently visited red castle in the northwest of The Citadel closets a host of grey-worn zombiemen, ripe for detonation. As far as Doom is concerned, however, you're bang on the money with e2m5.