Before The Invasion Rpg leveling wad

what do you think of this wad?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think of this wad?

• i like it, its a really neat idea
    • the wad is cool but i dont like rpgs
    • the wad needs more work done to it
    • i dont like this wad at all

Basically its a wad based around being the actual demon thats converting tech bases and cities into hell fortifications.
These events take place before the doom marine hero actually comes to save the day. So in part this wad is telling the doom story in the eyes of an archvile.

If you have played zdoomwars then you will have a general idea on how this wad will play.

heres a gameplay video of the wad.

Basically theres 2 types of energy you use to cast spells.

Energy and Souls. Energy recharges over time, but souls are only gathered from killing humans.

your most basic spells only use energy but when you learn more powerful spells they require souls as well.

Whenever you level you get 2 upgrade points which you can spend on either upgrading existing abilities or learning new spell and abilities.

Ability upgrades arnt always like +damage or +healing but rather added effects to spells.

Like you can upgrade your summon zombie spell so that when your zombies die they create a ghostly copy of themselves, which gives you more bang for your buck.

Healing is done by right clicking your flamestrike ability, but this requires 1 soul per heal.

link to alpha build
===================================
http://www.mediafire.com/?31w2nonla29ev9j

OFF

chubz said:

Take a look at this post for YouTube embedding instructions.

My thread, yay! :D

ON

I already saw the video on Youtube, cause I'm subscribing you. It's worth; the video is nice!

I hope I may try it this WAD later, because it looks promising and awesome!

Looks interesting!
What's the green flame for? Is it a targeting thing which tells you where the flame attack will hit, or something else?

Also, I think that indicator (the green zombieman with 50/0 next to him) would be better if it was integrated into the HUD somewhere and not on the weapon itself.

the green flame was a targeting system but i removed it because it was just annoying.

As for integrating the costs of spells into the hud, idk how to do that currently.

I also added a new base spell called "Infest", This spell is a fast attacking spell that does really low damage and costs alot of energy.
However this attack has a 10% chance to infest an enemy None robotic target. Once infested the human target changes colors and once it dies it revives as an infested marine that fights by your side till it dies.

Also the infest ability has an upgrade that increases its infest chance by 25%, making it more energy efficient.

I was thinking of releasing a 1 or 2 map beta tomorrow.

Also despite what the video showed I added more enemy Types to the map other than regular marines.

I was also thinking of separating flamestrike and its heal effect and making them 2 different spells.

So, does this have its own maps, or is it a modification intended to be run over other maps?

NVM, you just said the former in the last post.

Alwaysdoomed said:

As for integrating the costs of spells into the hud, idk how to do that currently.

Is this for ZDoom or another source port?

Alwaysdoomed said:

this wad is for zdoom

Then you could just make a SBARINFO lump with DrawNumber entries that display how much spell points and souls you have, whether they're stored as an inventory or as ammo.

well thats what i did for the bottom left side of the screen, that shows how many upgrade points souls and energy you currently have.

But as for showing the cost, hell idk. Considering alot of costs are done with A_JumpifInventory and what not.

Atm the weapons themselves showing the costs seems to be the best way, until I would find a better way to show that with the hud.

If i could that would be soo much easier, considering each time i balance spell costs i gotta go back and redraw the weapon to reflect those changes.

Alwaysdoomed said:

well thats what i did for the bottom left side of the screen, that shows how many upgrade points souls and energy you currently have.

But as for showing the cost, hell idk. Considering alot of costs are done with A_JumpifInventory and what not.

Atm the weapons themselves showing the costs seems to be the best way, until I would find a better way to show that with the hud.

If i could that would be soo much easier, considering each time i balance spell costs i gotta go back and redraw the weapon to reflect those changes.

Yeah, SBARINFO or ACS would be a MUCH better way.

I thought of an idea that could work for putting spell costs in your hud. Basically I can make 3 new items that are tracked and when you switch weapons it removes all of those items then gives you a new amount of those items.

If done right this can simulate what you suggested.

ok since swtor is comming out in a week for me and im trying to push 1 of my other wads into a beta before hand, i have temperarly paused mapping,scripting and spriteing for this wad atm.

that being said id like to give you all that might be interested in this wad a link to test it out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?31w2nonla29ev9j

please let me know what you all think.

Also i added a new baseline ability that isnt shown in the video
this ability is called infest.

Infest has a chance per hit to infest a target none robotic unit which after death will revive into a mindless infested marine that fights by your side. This infested marine lasts until killed, but atm all human types that are infested only share 1 weapon type atm.

Later on ill make it so infested marines have the same weapon as they did in life.

Thats a cool wad, it's very much like Zdoom wars but Campagin
based. I wish I could see some campagin maps for Zdoom wars.
but this wad does a really good job at merging the two. can't
wait summon barons and cyberdemons (if there going to be summon able)!