Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phobosdeimos1

I challenge you to a WAD with these colours

I've been trying to make levels have colour themes but I can't quite get it right.

Make a short map with a dark grey and green colour theme e.g big grey bricks and marble with green bricks and comspan walls etc

This is purely for me to see how other people would go about it sticking to a colour theme.

The colours purposely don't seem to look good together but I want to see if it can be made to look good, and what your methods of mixing the colours will be.

Post the maps here or pm me them

So, you're asking, no, telling us to make a map just so you can see how it's done!? And not even a "please" or "thank you" in advance? Sounds a bit lazy and harsh to me. And it doesn't work at all.
If you wan't people to help you, the least you could do is ask politely or even better, just ask if anyone knows of an already existing map that resembles that which you are asking. No matter what you choose, I am sure it will bring more results.

Take a look at Sunder.wad. Ignoring the fact that it is a slaughter map, most of its levels have individual themes that run throughout most of the levels.

baitercell said:

Take a look at Sunder.wad. Ignoring the fact that it is a slaughter map, most of its levels have individual themes that run throughout most of the levels.

Thanks, I noticed that whilst looking through YT vids of it,

I guess that's what I meant, examples of good use of colour themes.

Sorry about demanding maps, I thought people jumped at the opportunity to show off!

I would gladly accept the challenge if I wasn't in the middle of writing my final paper for philosophy. Perhaps if you're still interested on Friday I can take a crack at it?

However I do find that having contrasting colors rather than a solid theme can give a map a feeling of depth, if that makes any sense...

I've been working on Malinku's Map17 for progressive fiction and it's predominant colours happen to be grey and green. I'll be posting a beta version tonight or tomorrow on the thread so you could take a look.

I'm new to mapping, but I'm not sure how hard it is to stick to a colour scheme throughout a map? Especially when most of the existing textures are the same colours: grey and brown. It would seem to be harder to NOT stick to a scheme.

Grey and Green? Sounds like Plutonia.

Regardless, I think a better challenge would be making something similar to Eternal's 2x2 series, IE only allowing the use of 2 textures and 2 flats and compensating for it with clever architecture and vertex trickery.

Here they are, I recommend playing last to first:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?search=1&field=title&word=2x2&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

MajorRawne said:

I'm new to mapping, but I'm not sure how hard it is to stick to a colour scheme throughout a map? Especially when most of the existing textures are the same colours: grey and brown. It would seem to be harder to NOT stick to a scheme.

See My Dropped CC4 Entry, Cliffside Compound in the CC4 thread.

You'll see what i mean.