Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vinnyslamgemi

Adding custom monsters in Doom builder

I was wondering if anyone can help! I am using doom builder 2 and would like to add monsters that I downloaded off of the internet into my custom maps. I saw a couple of tutorials using XWE for the process, but I am unable to use it, for I am running vista. I was wondering if someone can help explain to me how to import custom monsters into my wads, so I can use them in Doom builder 2.

Use SLADE 3 instead of XWE. The interface is not exactly the same of course; but it's quite intuitive anyway.

Thanks, but I actually need help as to how to use the programs. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, or how to get monster wads into doom builder.

Fuzzyfireball said:

You have to load your custom wad, when you make a new map, it asks you what other pwads you want to load.

That's not always how it works.

vinnyslamgemi said:

I was wondering if anyone can help! I am using doom builder 2 and would like to add monsters that I downloaded off of the internet into my custom maps. I saw a couple of tutorials using XWE for the process, but I am unable to use it, for I am running vista. I was wondering if someone can help explain to me how to import custom monsters into my wads, so I can use them in Doom builder 2.

If you are making maps for ZDoom or GZDoom in Doom : Hexen format, then you could take a look at these:
Part 1 : How to merge one monster from REALM667 into your map
Part 2 : How to merge several monsters from REALM667 into your map

If you are making maps for ZDoom or GZDoom in Doom2 format, then the process is slightly different
Part 3 : Merging DECORATE things for Vanilla DOOM format

Yeah, the way that's written is a bit misleading. It's for ZDoom in a Doom-format map. "Vanilla Doom" actually implies it runs in Doom2.exe.

Melon said:

Wait, what? DECORATE in vanilla format? But the original doom.exe doesn't support DECORATE!

I am very sorry to have almost caused you a traumatic episode :-)
I have edited my original post.

Now my mind is even more boggled. Apparently adding ZDoom-only features to a wad then making the levels in vanilla format is common enough that there needs to be a guide for it. Why would anybody do that? You'd think they'd consider mapping in Boom format at the very least.

Can you add custom monsters / stuff in Boom? I never tried it and never had interest in mapping for Boom to try it.

Personally, playing Vanilla gameplay maps with custom monsters is quite interesting.

Melon said:

Now my mind is even more boggled. Apparently adding ZDoom-only features to a wad then making the levels in vanilla format is common enough that there needs to be a guide for it. Why would anybody do that? You'd think they'd consider mapping in Boom format at the very least.

Boom format is vanilla format as far as ZDoom is concerned. The only difference is that there are a few more values that have meanings; but the format itself -- as in, the layout of the data in the lumps -- is exactly the same.

Likewise for Heretic and Strife. They use the same format; even if some values have different meanings from what they do in Doom/Boom.

Heck, Amulets & Armor, which is not a Doom engine game at all, uses the Doom map format. It uses it completely differently so it's not going to work in a satisfying way if you try to load A&A maps in a Doom engine, but it uses it anyway. The developer did that simply because instead of writing their own level editor, they just had to write a configuration file for an existing Doom level editor...

I'm aware that Boom is to a large extent Doom format with more line specials. It was more a comment that the vanilla format is so restrictive that it's a weird choice to me given that you've already committed yourself to the map requiring a source port that can easily handle formats that remove even the most basic of restrictions.

Kappes Buur said:

If you are making maps for ZDoom or GZDoom in Doom : Hexen format, then you could take a look at these:
Part 1 : How to merge one monster from REALM667 into your map
Part 2 : How to merge several monsters from REALM667 into your map

If you are making maps for ZDoom or GZDoom in Doom2 format, then the process is slightly different
Part 3 : Merging DECORATE things for Vanilla DOOM format

I followed the tutorial, but doom builder keeps on telling me that my sprites are missing rotations. Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

It's more likely the source port you're testing with that's complaining about "missing rotations", what port are you using and with which monsters?