Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

What complevel are we shooting for Snakes? Mine is set to 2 for v1.9 emulation.

Also I wouldn't mind testing (I've been familiar with Fuzzy's work for a while).

Cyanosis said:

What complevel are we shooting for Snakes? Mine is set to 2 for v1.9 emulation.

Also I wouldn't mind testing (I've been familiar with Fuzzy's work for a while).

As this is a limit-removing project, -complevel 2 would be the one to shoot for.

@walter confalonieri - Would you mind if we ripped the music and possibly the sky textures from some of those levels? We'd credit you if we did.

@Cyanosis - Done. Are you going to be mapping for this project as well or just testing?

kildeth said:

What you've done looks good so far, but I think it would benefit greatly from some lighting variation coupled with some extra detailing where you have boxy walls and floors with not much action happening in terms of architecture. Keep at it :)

About The Lights, i typed IDBEHOLDI before i made the screens so that explains why everything is the same amount of light.

Snakes said:

Also, I'd suggest a bit more color or at lease texture variation in the posted screens, as well as applying some love to the ceilings :)

I'll get to changing some of the walls, I was more busy with architecture than I was busy with texture placements.

The Ceilings will get their share of friendship, since that's magic isn't it?

The idea for this map came from E3M7 the chasm from heretic, i always loved that map. but the best music is E2M3 (The river of fire)

kildeth said:

@walter confalonieri - Would you mind if we ripped the music and possibly the sky textures from some of those levels? We'd credit you if we did.

No problem, since i've got music and textures from other maps i've got in my other doom cds...

I apologize for not being around for a bit; I was spending time with my folks.

I've begun work on a map that I've named "Sewage Processing" that will take place in an Earth base environment, and would probably be best located in either Episode 1 or 2. The first few rooms are done, and I think this one is going to turn out well; I have a good feeling! I already like it better than my first map, Caves of Hell.

No screenshots or download yet; the map is far from being in a playable state at the time of this posting, and there's not much to show anyway, but progress is now being made at a decent rate, and I feel good about how it's coming along. Stay tuned!

kildeth said:

Are you going to be mapping for this project as well or just testing?

Just testing. I have no mapping experience but I can point out problems.

Since I'm going to be spending Thanksgiving with my family, I figured I'd give a status report before I leave.

The map is coming along well (in my opinion); I've created up to the point of getting the first key, and I've managed to play it all the way to that point on "Hurt Me Plenty." From my experience with the map, I feel that it will be best placed somewhere in Episode 1.

For some sadistic reason, I've decided to not show you guys any screenshots, and allow my map to be a total surprise! Don't worry, it's coming...

I might not be here much over the next two weeks as I'm going on a 5 day long holiday next week and my internet allowance has almost run out for this week and I might not get more until I come back. I assume mapping will continue as normal during this time period but I'm just letting everyone know.

I myself am still working on 'Sensorium'. I've made some good progress and the level is probably about 60% complete. I want to make it look really awesome without straying from Alwaysdoomed's original work too much. I would show some screenies but I'm out of internet allowance! Technically I shouldn't be able to post this but my internet is still letting me access Doomworld for some reason. Yay!

I'm not good at making some good maps or wads. Can I come in and join to make a map? This will let me learn some new things, I hope.

Doom 2 (Vanilla) map.
Testing with PrBoom+? On the official site I found PrBoom 2.5.0, is that good too?

In what kind of theme I need to make my level and what size should it be? I know I can make long boring one-textured levels or short easy and still boring levels. I have tried some mid-levels.. But with no success.

So can I join?

Killer Z

@Killer Z - Of course you can join. As long as you're using stock Doom 2 textures and are making maps in vanilla format there should not be a problem. Just do the best you can and try experimenting with different textures to see what matches.
PrBoom has been recommended for use by one of our testers so that should be fine to use. As for themes and level length, maybe try a short one first and then build up to the longer ones once you get more confidence. If you find inspiration you can always make a short level longer. Themes are entirely up to you and your imagination. Do whatever you wish with the Doom 2 textures, just remember that we are not using custom texture packs for this project as that's kinda advanced for people just starting out and learning the basics.

Have patience! Mapping can take time. I'll add you to the mapping list now.

(And yes, I am on holidays as we speak, I managed to find a computer.)

Some progress has made and some screens are ready.

You start, undead human in front, Water cisterns in the middle, be careful to not fall in. You can't come out there.

Left side, you see a switch, there is a floor moving up, you can walk around the starting area behind the fences, Chainsaw near the door. Be careful again, fall off means never return up.

Right side, nothing special here exept the undead human.

Some health bonus and armour bonus lying in the left and right. The door leads to a room with a undead human, an health bonus and a stimpack. Nothing more done so far. Tested in PrBoon 2.5.0 and on UV. More monsters comming when there are more rooms.

Hopefully a good beginning and I will post more screens when I make more progress.

Nice to see some new posts in this thread. I'm trying to finish a map I had already started for the Panophobia project and then I can devote more time to the Noob project. I fully expect to have a finished Noob map within 3-4 weeks; the long timescale is due to working STUPID hours, oh and Christmas :)

I can probably add a map in. I have one started that needs finishing.

Also, keep in mind, there's a difference (albeit not big, as far as I understand) between PrBoom and PrBoom+.

On the official PrBoom(+) site, I only could download PrBoom 2.5.0. I couldn't find a download link for PrBoom+.

Would you object if I tried to make a map or two out of some-ones scraps, or possibly make my own?

Also, side note, I was looking for some projects to join but there does not seem to be very many.

I've just downloaded PRBoom+ and can't get it running. In the directory there is INSTALL but its type just says "file". I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I presume Boom isn't compatible, in which case I won't be able to check compatibility with my maps, so we'll just have to state that my maps "may or may not run in Boom". I'm not mucking about if the source port is too old. If it's my computer that's too new, however...

Memfis - Thanks mate!

Evolution - Welcome aboard. Just get mapping and post some screenies when you can :)

NOTE: I think people should post even the plainest screenies. Maybe we can offer suggestions about what to do with big empty rooms. Just to encourage people to keep going :)

People seem more likely to actually finish a map when they've posted screenshots.

Are my hights good? Doi my texures mix up with the door and other textures?
The door is working, allowing the player to a wooden room with a former human and some items.

Note: This three former human shown on the screens are not with all difficulties. This in UV stance, should I make more monsters in this area, ex. more former human, some imps, former sergant?

Killer Z - it's looking good at the moment but don't include areas the player can't get out of. You can build ultra-thin "stairs" to get out of pits that can't really be seen but allow the player to rapidly "climb" out of areas. The surrounding outside walls seem a bit tall but I am having problems with that myself at the moment. Check Alien Vendetta (any map) in an editor and see how they did things, and make sure to make a note of the more complicated stuff; I've got a notebook with quick diagrams etc reminding me how to do certain things.

I also build a "test" area on each map to try out new ideas and see if they work. Test rooms just get deleted when the map is finished.

I needed to make the walls higher then 128 because of the door. A friend of mine said the door was like floating when it goes open. There was no building etc...

@Seeker_of_Truth, Macro11_1 and Evolution - Welcome aboard! I'll add you all to the list of mappers!

@Killer Z - Those screens are looking alright so far. If you can keep to that level of consistency throughout the level the result should be good.

In other news, I am now back home from holiday and thus will be here to continue my mapping. I will also be around to assist anyone with queries and offer constructive criticism on maps. I should also have some screenies of 'Sensorium' up if I don't manage to finish it altogether sometime soon, I've a lot of work into it thus far!