Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

Man... I hate posting screenshots. If some one could make that process more automated, then that would be a god-send.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_hh4lPrXMZ1YmNlOTk2MTMtMWM0OC00YzhhLTk4YzYtMzliMTk2ZDVmMjQ2

I am going to change the archway's white rocky texture to stone... I don't think I really like it as it is, it looks too different from the stone bricks around it.

I don't want to make this map too large, as I don't want to spend forever on it, so any suggestions on a good stopping place would be helpful.

Basically the idea is, you start in a forest, see a cathedral and then venture inside... naturally killing hellspawn en-route. I'm just not sure on what kind of rooms to have in side the building... :(

Also, feel free to ask any questions if any one needs help, ill do my best to help.

What you've done so far looks brilliant. I don't think it needs to be much bigger than it already is, what's already there could make a decent sized level once complete.

Thanks man.

Yeah, I think your right, but I am just not sure where in the level to place the exit... Any suggestions?

[edit]
In response to no one asking except my self... lol
In terms of joining this open project, I just want to say I have had previous works... though pretty and competent... I think I still have alot of room to improve...

That and I just wanted to join a project where I could map, get help, and be of some help :).

Here are some odds and ends that I would like to contribute... just please give me proper credit? :)
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_hh4lPrXMZ1OTRmZGE1YmUtZjZjZi00MmIxLWI3MjUtOTkxOTc2NmNhYmFm

Those scraps look pretty good in terms of architecture, but remember that maps for this project must be vanilla-compatible. At least one of those scraps involved things such as floor over floors and a conveyor belt and thus will have to be converted to a Doom 2 compatible format and altered a bit if it is to be included in this project.

As for the exit, maybe inside the big Cathedral thing? Either that or on that building in the water, possibly revealed by hitting a certain important switch within the Cathedral.

Oh this is vanilla... crud! now I have to watch out for
visplane-overflows... tall ceilings...

is it Limit removing, or strictly vanilla?

Yes, limit removing vanilla. Sorry for not clarifying, I'm still getting to know the differences myself! :P

Thanks guys :).

MajorRawne said:

[..] EDIT: Aah, bugger it. How do I convert it from ZDoom>Hexen to Boom without it turning into a mass of lines?

Not sure if some one else has answered this yet, as I was just scanning the thread... hence why I missed the fact that this is limit removing >_<;;!

Easy, open up 2 copies of your favourite map editor, go in to line-edit mode('L') on the Zdoom one, cntl+c(copy) then open a new map in what ever format, then hit cntl+v(paste).

Then do the same with things.

The snag here is that you have to manually edit all the line actions and tags again.

My level, Sewage Processing, is done!

Here's a download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?msdb3xkfaw74zya

Please post any comments you may have, whether they be bug reports, pointing out little mistakes, or just plain saying you liked it!

I did do a little playtesting (in ZDoom), and the level is completely playable without finding any secrets up through at least "Hurt Me Plenty." I have beaten it on Ultra Violence, but had to grab a couple of the secrets to survive, although I assume it's possible to beat the thing on UV without secrets if you're REALLY good at ammo management.

Enjoy!

I did a quick playtest of Sewage Processing and I have to say it is quite good in terms of gameplay. Visually speaking it could possibly be toned up a bit before this megawad is released as some areas look a tad basic but otherwise it is all good!

I'll be testing the finished maps over the weekend, I think. It's best to establish right now that I'm going to be a bit meticulous and try to give general advice as to what I think makes a map awesome, so don't be afraid if I send an essay :)

Some shots of 'Sensorium', principally of the room with two cages and the room with the large lava pit and two lavafalls in Alwaysdoomed's original work. Basically I've let my mind explode with everything I could put into these rooms in order to make them more epic whilst still keeping with the basic ideas originally presented.

Ignore the sky texture btw, it'll likely be changed to the hell sky texture in the final release.

IS.. THAT.... NEWBIE.... What a killer level Kildeth...
Bit much red, red is my favorite colour, I like it :D

About my newbie level? Hmmm, nothing very special...
Just did some little texture changes and made some 'fail' protection.

walter confalonieri said:

hello, i want the claim the macro11_1 scraps and seen what the hell i can do working on this levels...

Awesome.

Sick screenshots, kildeth. I like red.

Playtested Sewage Processing by Arjak... It's definitely solid in gameplay and balance. Completed the stage on UV with no secrets and another run with a couple then another run UV Max. Probably don't need that extra Soul Sphere secret, though. Needs a bit more detailing but I like it and its simplicity.

My map is getting a little carried away in terms of length... and I hope that's not a problem. It took me 10-15 minutes to play through what I've put together so far; someone's first run through it would take longer. I have to consider snipping it into several different maps instead of one gigantic map. Screenshots will be up tomorrow or so.

@Adun - A large level sounds exciting! I don't care if it's huge just make sure it's worth its size and doesn't end up being too monotonous. I wouldn't consider cutting the level into bits yet as I think it's good to have few massive levels in a megawad.

kildeth said:

@Adun - A large level sounds exciting! I don't care if it's huge just make sure it's worth its size and doesn't end up being too monotonous. I wouldn't consider cutting the level into bits yet as I think it's good to have few massive levels in a megawad.

This. A megawad's later stages should be epic as a reward for fighting through all the inevitable claustrophobic tech bases ;)

I've made no progress over the last week due to work commitments. I'm not retiring from this project and hope to have something ready to playtest by the end of the month.