Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

Phobus said:

Outpost 3J was incredibly easy - definitely the clear MAP01 at the moment. The secret SSG was massively unnecessary, but well implemented. The map looks very nice and has a reasonable layout for a short, simple, easy map.

I wasn't sure what else to put in that secret. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for playing my first released map! :)

Map 03 turned into some big project I didn't anticipate it to be.

I decided to use it to capture the concept of my other tentative map. I still need to add some detailing (maybe) and fiddle with balance, maybe expand or cut certain areas. I want to add some detail and environment to the outdoor area, and maybe add some areas to do things in the outdoors. Anyway, it's morphed into an episode closer, and could possibly be the level where archviles are introduced (they appear in a semi boss battle setting). Should I make it harder, perhaps?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/mbaremake.wad

My idea for the next level would be a Darkseed style "dark world" where it appears you are in the same base, but you notice that things start to go wrong until the floor falls out from under you and your sense of location entirely collapses.

Its still slot 03 for no particular reason. I guess now I would call the level "Teleportarium" and if I may make the level immediately following it, that one would be called "Immaterium" (both names being campy references to warhammer 40k)

Also, I was looking at the difficulty range of the levels, and I think we should make the level arrangement this:

-TechBase
-Go to hell
-go to city and fix what happened while you were in hell
-final level either goes back to different part of hell, or in city

@ kildeth: I like the later on part of the music, but the beginning is very slow and seems too uhh "peaceful". Also, since I extended the level's length, I noticed that the song doesn't loop well. Could you maybe edit it in a way so that it loops better?

@ primeval: nice avatar bro, Godzilla is awesome.

@Phobus: I'm right there with you on your comments about the other maps.

As for my own map, I'm glad you brought up the monster count issue. I'm curious, but how do you obtain those monster count stats? Is there a way to quickly do it in prboom or DB2?

As soon as I get the time, I'd like to balance out my map more and make it a little easier to beat.

Paul D said:

@ primeval: nice avatar bro, Godzilla is awesome.

Thanks! Been on a major Godzilla binge lately. Well, I'm always on a binge, but more so than usual X)

PRIMEVAL said:

I wasn't sure what else to put in that secret. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for playing my first released map! :)

I'd suggest a berserk pack, so the tyson runners amongst us can run to it, grab the pack and then berserk-punch our way to 100% kills. And you're welcome :)

fiend-o-hell wrote:

I'm curious, but how do you obtain those monster count stats? Is there a way to quickly do it in prboom or DB2?

Not that I'm aware of. I was playing in ZDoom, so the stats are displayed in the automap.

fiend-o-hell said:

As for my own map, I'm glad you brought up the monster count issue. I'm curious, but how do you obtain those monster count stats? Is there a way to quickly do it in prboom or DB2?

Boom and most derivatives have an alternate HUD which displays them.

Phobus said:

The Prisoner is actually just a pretty damn good map! Felt rather Evilution and if I was looking for things to whinge about, I'd say that the monster closet door sides could use a bit of work (change to a door-track or support texture and check "lower-unpregged") and the majority of the monsters do seem to always be in front of you, making quite easy to pick and choose your battles, as well as allowing the player lots of breathing room. A bit too room-door-room, if you will.

Cheers for the feedback, the monster closets will be reworked a little, and I hope to make the fights a little more interesting. As well as a few aesthetic tweaks.

Updated the first post. Hopefully I'll find time soon to have a proper playthrough the latest additions.

Finally I got around to giving my map another update. Here it is:

DOWNLOAD ExtortaNOVA B2

Changes since b1
----------------
*Improved monster teleporters allowing all 800 baddies on the map a chance at having a go at you (Yay!)...
*Instant death do to stupidly getting near a Sin Tower has been left intact, but the range has been reduced.
*Expanded many areas throughout the map to improve gameplay.
*Added a weapons cache near the beginning to better combat cybies.
*Changed the weapon placement for each difficulty setting
*Made the starting areas slightly easier.

I don't have time to test, but it may just be that the ending is impossible on UV. My intention was for the player to BFG/rocket their way to the ending before running out of ammo.

I apologize for not testing, much has come up in the last few months. But I plan to give alpha 0.2 a whirl later tonight.

I've just begun compiling the third alpha. There will be ten levels in total; the nine we already have and either a finished version of Sensorium if I can find enough time to complete it or someone else's level if they post it before I'm done with Sensorium. That being said, this is a good time to post any updates to levels which will be included in the alpha, but it seems most of you are way ahead of me on that point. :P

'Outpost' will be MAP01 in this mapset replacing 'Hazard Facility' which will become MAP02. Going against what I said before, I've decided to give 'Hazard Facility' a few extra tweaks in order to make it more polished based on the latest suggestions by testers. It will probably be only a few texture alterations though.

P.S. What does the '3J' at the end of Outpost's title stand for? Is it important? I was wondering cause I think the level name would sound better if it were just named 'Outpost'. To me it sounds more vague and Doomy.

cannonball said:

Well here is an updated version of my map, a few touches on the looks and a little more trap variety, making sure some monsters do go behind you.
http://www.mediafire.com/?y3s2xj451v32yhz

Just an aesthetic thing, you should make the horizon farther away in the outdoor area so that you don't see the sky below the floor when you are out there.

I'm sorry if I haven't had much time to work on my map since college is in session.

Would it be alright if I started over from scratch with a new map? I do not feel satisfied with the level I had planned, previously.

Stygian said:

I'm sorry if I haven't had much time to work on my map since college is in session.

Would it be alright if I started over from scratch with a new map? I do not feel satisfied with the level I had planned, previously.

Perfectly fine, it's your choice what you want to submit or not. If you feel unsatisfied with the level you made, you could send it to us anyway where we could share thoughts and maybe help you with what you have so far. That being said though everyone is pretty busy with their own works so you might only get some suggestions and be left to do the rest yourself.

Here's a few midis I have been working on for this.

One is pretty much a direct transcript of the VUX theme from star control 2 Not sure if it would fit for this, but thought I'd post it anyway.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/VUX.mid

The other, IS FINISHED: It's based on a theme from epic 40k final liberation, and ITS AWESOME However, I'm not sure if it will play back at the right volume from within the game- can somebody help me even out the volume?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/sanguinus.mid

But my god, if we got this song into this wad, it would be so full of win. I'd like it to be in the opener for "episode" 3.

Maybe the theme for the text intermissions?

It's been close to completion for awhile Alwaysdoomed. I just haven't quite found the time and inspiration to finish it off. I'll see what I can do this week.

Nice MIDIs Paul D! I'll have to find a place to include them in the WAD.

Hey, I'm sorry for being gone so long; PhobosDeimos' death really shook me up, and I have been avoiding this place while I dealt with my pain.

Anyway, I'm back, and I'm considering starting a new map instead of overhauling Sewage Processing, but I'd like to have your opinions on this. If you think my map is good enough as is, or if you think it needs improvement, let me know.

Thanks.

kildeth said:

It's been close to completion for awhile Alwaysdoomed. I just haven't quite found the time and inspiration to finish it off. I'll see what I can do this week.

Nice MIDIs Paul D! I'll have to find a place to include them in the WAD.

Thanks man. I'm planning to make maybe two or three more. I've kind of lost interest in mapping for now (still trying to figure out how to expand my gimmick map), but I still would like to do maybe one more map.

For the midi I called "sanguinus", can you help me adjust the volume? I tested it out in a custom .wad and it was too quiet- on the other hand, I don't want it to be too loud because usually when I play any doom wads I make the music volume about 30% quieter than game audio. Also, the BPM is 2 too fast.

@Arjak - Glad you're back, and I'm fine with whatever you're working with. Sewage Processing as of now is adequate for the project but we might touch it up a bit before final release, which will be awhile away yet.

@Paul D - Sorry! I know very little about working with MIDIs. I just find them on the internet and assign them to the levels and that's all I know how to do. You'll have to find someone with more knowledge on the subject.

Hey, how have things been going fellas?

Wanted to post a silly little midi i made. I don't plan on making it any longer really because it is stupid and it wouldn't match doom's mood at all, just thought I would make/post it for laughs, maybe for a joke-ish secret level?

It is a short, snazzy jazzed up version of doom 2's map 10+16 track, 'The Demon's Dead"

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/d_dedjazz.mid