Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

I'll do a map for the project. I haven't mapped in quite a while (and back then I only made 3 or so playable maps) so I'll do a few practice maps to get back into the swing of things then make one to contribute. At the moment I don't have a concept/name so yeah.

Welcome aboard, xvertigox. All maps are to be created in limit-removing format, not Boom compatible format, sorry for the confusion. I'll update the first post with the changes.

Kildeth: I played your map and really liked it, it generally flowed well apart from occasional back-tracking. I noticed a few misaligned textures, generally textures above doorways that probably don't have "upper unpegged" specified.

The super shotty, which I found by accident, is not really needed in this map. Generally it's fun to play and extremely nostalgic, reminding me of Deimos Lab for the most part. The room near the yellow exit door with the raised room containing pink demons also reminded me of Command Centre.

EDIT: As for my map, I'm just going to convert it to Boom from ZDoom>Hexen and re-test the traps. I was definitely going for the quiet, desolate atmosphere.

Thanks! It's my first complete level so it means a lot to me that you liked it. I still plan on fixing up the texture alignments a bit more, I just wanted to see what everyone thought of it first before I completely finalised it.

And it was intended for the 'Doom the Way ID Did' project, so if it invoked nostalgia that's an extra bonus to me.

Right now I've started work on a second map, one that Processingcontrol started that I'm improving for this project. Haven't quite decided on a name but for now I'm calling it 'Fortress'. Might have some screenies up soon!

They must have had some good entries if yours was overlooked. It's very impressive considering you are new to mapping. I lost count of the moments that reminded me of old-school maps.

Will post some more WIP shots of Hush, and maybe I'll make another map as well. I started one called By Inferno's Light, about the player's descent into the firey depths of a cavern system. The title was inspired by an episode of the excellent Deep Space 9.

EDIT: Aah, bugger it. How do I convert it from ZDoom>Hexen to Boom without it turning into a mass of lines?

@MajorRawne - It's not that it was overlooked, it's more that I posted a few screens and then dropped out of the project early before anyone had really begun compiling any levels. That being said, if I had have continued with DTWID, Hazard Facility would have had to have been changed a bit cause they were really picky as to how the levels were done, and I like my map the way it is. That and the room that resembles 'Command Center' might have been a bit too homagey, and that's something they wouldn't allow in their project.

@Fuzzyfireball - Welcome aboard! We await your maps. :)

@Alwaysdoomed - It was a simple map but it was quite enjoyable. The exit is a problem though as it leads to one running around the level trying to find out where it is, and even when they stumble across it, it is not immediately obvious as to what it is. I've also noticed that your level is in ZDoom/Hexen format. I don't think this is necessary for such a small and simple level and I think it could be easily downgraded to limit removing format if we remove some of the features like flats on walls and slow moving doors. It still needs work but it's a good start. Good job! :)

um that was a map from 2 years ago, my mapping skill is way better than that now. I just desided to give you a map to help your project and i had that one laying around. It prob needs fixing up **

This is a splendid idea! What a great way for new mappers (like myself) to gain experience! I have only one map to my name (so far), so maybe I'll give this a try. I can't promise anything, but I'll try to make a map for this if you're interested.

@Alwaysdoomed - Yeah, it will need fixing up as I'm hoping to create a somewhat professional looking WAD with the completion of this project. Do you want to fix up the level yourself or do you want me to have a go at touching stuff up? It does have potential, it just needs some refinement and then it'll be all good.

@Arjak - Welcome! We'll be glad to receive anything you can offer us and assist you with your mapping along the way. Don't be afraid to ask any questions or queries you may have.

I'll begin playtesting for this during the weekend at some point. Tomorrow night I'll be at my 'rents house with nothing to do, so look forward to something then.

I like the idea of beginner to intermediate skilled mappers producing a community project, will be keeping an eye on this one.

Maybe I'll do a few BrutalDoom vids with the project when it's done!

Updated version of Hazard Facility for download here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P6Y4CYUH

@Snakes: Don't worry about it too much. As of now there is only one short map ready to be playtested and the rest are all pretty much under construction from what I've seen.

@Mr. Chris: That would be cool!

From the looks of those screenshots the map will be a great addition to the project. It has the right level of detail for a polished map. Well done!

It would probably stay truer to what it's actually meant to be if you fixed it up, as I'm fixing up another map at the moment and my plans are going to change a lot of things about it. If you can make it look awesome then that's fine by me.

Hmm. Would you mind if I added a bit of extra stuff to it? I'm still wondering if it really needs to be a ZDoom/Hexen based level, I think it could be downgraded to a regular Doom II compatible level and still be just fine.