Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

Arjak said:

That's one beautiful shot, mouldy.

I haven't started on my section of Map 30 yet, because I have no idea what's expected of me. Am I supposed to just make something and it will be pasted in later, or am I supposed to download the unfinished map and build onto it? Dobugabumaru hasn't told me anything yet, and with the status update coming in a few days, I'm starting to get nervous! I need guidance!

The plan is to each to an area that can be copy and pasted into the final map. Each area will be like a mini adventure I guess, you teleport to it so doesn't have to join up. Doesn't have to be massive either, though it should be fairly tough.

Because it will be copy and pasted into the main map you'll need to use different tags from the rest of us. Dobugabumaru has claimed tags 1-50 then I'm using 51-100, so I guess you can have 101-150. I don't know what kind theme everyone else is using, think dobu is using marble and i'm using blue/silver. No one else has mentioned what they are doing I don't think.

Thanks, Mouldy. That's all I needed to know.

Played a few more maps on my runthrough:

Phobus Anomaly - Short but sweet. It really put my guard up.

Incubator - After the last few maps, I was ready for anything. Because of this, Incubator felt strangely easy. Still, it was a nice breather from the last few maps.

Warehouse District - I loved this map except for a few moments that I felt were a little counter-intuitive. The first thing that stopped me was the switch you have to shoot to activate near the beginning. The other thing that hooked me up was when I was in the big open area, searching through all the buildings for door switches. At a certain point, I had no idea what to do. After exploring for several minutes searching for something I might have missed, I desperately tried to activate what appeared to be a red key door, even though I had no red key...and it opened. I hadn't tried it because it had the red lights around it and I just assumed I needed a red key. I also was wary of trying the switch with the blue lights around it at first for similar reasons. This is the kind of fake-out I could do without. Other than those issues, it was great, with a long epic feel. I got really excited when I found the BFG secret. I felt ready for anything, until...

Ring of Gyges - God damn it, Stygian! (Just kidding!)

Seriously though, this map needs MAJOR work in the difficulty balancing department. Even on ITYTD, with all the weapons, I can't last more than a minute. Until this happens, my attempt at a straight-through run ends here. I'll just have to wait until the next version...

Arjak said:

Ring of Gyges - God damn it, Stygian! (Just kidding!)

Seriously though, this map needs MAJOR work in the difficulty balancing department. Even on ITYTD, with all the weapons, I can't last more than a minute. Until this happens, my attempt at a straight-through run ends here. I'll just have to wait until the next version...

Wow you weren't kidding, thats a bit full on for map 14. I do like that hectic run through the hordes at the start, but I'm not keen on the forced running through lava, think those bits should at least have some stepping stones.

^ Looking around Ring of Gyges it seemed to be a little too hardcore so yeah, we'll have to rework it.

Sorry about the delay in response Arjak, mouldy is right about what to do. Ideally I want the areas people are using to have a visual theme to them in order to keep them seperated. Mouldy is going with blue and I'm copy&pasting a lot of old maps together. We still have a marble theme, redrock, techbase... you name it, whatever you want. Also make sure the exit to the area is a tele, since it will teleport into an area already worked into Megiddo. The MARBFACE texture is used to indicate that its the end of the level.

Bear in mind that since this is a group effort, we are all open to having our maps altered if any of them feel not in line with the others (like in difficulty or length).

I agree with Arjak about the red key marked door in Warehouse District. I think it should just be marked as normal if there is no red key present on the map and it opens normally.

Oh and don't worry Arjak, to be honest I'm a bit stumped as to what to make for my Map30 piece. I wanted to create either a green marble water temple or a monochromatic theme but so far I've only got two small, greyish rooms. I'll try and make a bit more before August 1st.

I like your idea of a marble and water theme, Kildeth. Personally, I think that's a much better idea than monochrome.

Also, I got started on my portion of Map 30 today. It's going to take place inside of an active volcano.

To make it easier, kildeth can take tags 101-150 and Arjak takes 151-200. That leaves cannonball with 201-250. I'll check out mouldy's portion tomorrow

I'll see what I can do to make Ring of Gyges more forgiving. I populated the map with loads of monsters in response to a complaint that it was too easy to run past the enemies in early iterations of the map. That being said, much of the current monster placement revolves around imps being arranged into "walls" that block the player's movement, with demons and cacodemons having free reign to surround the player. In addition, revenants and arachnotrons are placed in hard-to-reach areas to provide further covering fire for the other enemies.

In order to survive the main area, you have to find a way to get onto the ziggurat and then take out as many of the cacodemons and revenants as possible. After they are gone, most of the enemies around the "ring" become defenseless and chaos turns to order. Additionally, if you choose to let the cacodemons live before entering the archvile room, the cacodemons will swarm in through the windows and ruin your day. Saving the invulnerability powerup for the archviles can't hurt either.

The fact that Ring of Gyges needs its own strategy guide to complete is not a good sign...

I'll see what I can do to make the gameplay less chaotic (and add stepping stones).

Since I am not particularly good at most games, I wanted to make sure that my map would present sufficient challenge to more skilled players, but I guess I overdid it. Personally, I have played the map many times and think it's reasonable, but I have the advantage of prior knowledge since I created it.

If you have any more specific complaints from playtesting, I would eager to hear those as well.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that I released a modestly-revised version of Gyges a few days ago that allows to traverse the ring in the opposite direction from the starting area, so you aren't forced to cross the lava moats immediately. The cistern area is no longer locked by a key and you can choose between tackling that area or the temple in any order.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fe11ea1s9bhx1cu/gyges4(2).wad

Stygian said:

I'll see what I can do to make Ring of Gyges more forgiving. I populated the map with loads of monsters in response to a complaint that it was too easy to run past the enemies in early iterations of the map. That being said, much of the current monster placement revolves around imps being arranged into "walls" that block the player's movement, with demons and cacodemons having free reign to surround the player. In addition, revenants and arachnotrons are placed in hard-to-reach areas to provide further covering fire for the other enemies.

I think what makes the start so difficult is the long range fire from arachnos revenants and cacos rather than the army of imps and demons. So straight away you are dealing with a wall of meat, a hail of bullets and no obvious route to take. I just had a go at your revised version and that option to go right at the start and grab the plasma rifle really makes a difference. You could maybe try making the revs on the pyramid only appear once you have pressed the switch to raise the bridge, and reduce the number of cacos just a bit to take the edge off the bullet hailstorm at the start. Also that switch near the plasma rifle that lowers the lift to the secret invulnerability is S1, dunno if thats intentional but I'd make it SR so people have a chance to work out what its does. Having that secret more available adds a nice touch of "when should I use it?" or a bit of breathing space.

Just noticed there are 2 barons stuck on top of each other behind the rocket launcher, is that intentional to block the way? I only noticed it after playing on prboom

Also I have to say I love this map, it really suits my style of frantic running and gunning gameplay. Its definitely one that improves the more you get to know it.

Here's a demo of me running through it like a coward:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ialw3mp8a5wup5u/gyges-mouldy.lmp

Here's a new version of Gyges implementing:
-Reduced cacodemon count.
-Four revenants replaced by hell-knights on Ultraviolence.
-Fixed bugged baron and hell-knight.
-Three radiation suits scattered throughout the main area.
-Water surrounding temple is not damaging.
-Repeatable switch for accessing the invulnerability powerup.
-Layout changes with greater connectivity between areas, a new starting area and more secrets including a covert way of entering the temple.

I can make more dramatic changes to monster and item placement as necessary.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/agohtk1ezdoc9j1/gyges5.wad

Stygian said:

Here's a new version of Gyges

Cool, interesting changes you made there. There are a couple of sectors where I think you forgot to turn off the damaging floor: 365 and 407.

I notice with the blue key trap at the top of the pyramid that you can step inside the room to make the archviles appear and then step back outside to deal with them more easily, then when you go get the blue key the exits close trapping you inside an empty room. Was that intended as an 'easy option' or would you prefer players to always be trapped in that room with the archviles?

There is in fact an "easy way" to deal with the archvile fight, but it isn't the method you are describing. The most painless way to defeat them is a secret.

I relocated the linedefs that control the floor underneath the archviles so the trap can't be "faked out". It is possible to escape by having one
of the archviles blast you out of one of the windows and I left that intact (the arena will re-open assuming you fail to grab the blue key before getting knocked out).

The damaging sectors in the water should be fixed as well.

Additionally, the exit moved very slightly and underwent repairs to make its behavior less glitchy and some items got swapped around.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a7ti2x96gxemv5s/gyges5c.wad

Thank you for taking the time to play-test.

I apologise so far for not doing anything towards my section of map30. I have been working hard to get my d2ino maps up to scratch for beta release and will hopefully start on my section at the end of the week.

^ No problems, you're a reliable mapper so whenever you get around to it that'll be fine.

Considering that and how long it'll take to add difficulties for some maps, I think the August 9th beta date may be a little soon. We can leave it up for now but I don't think we'll have a reliable beta ready by then. On my side I've been working with Vile Arterium a bit, trying to keep in mind comments directed towards my monster density issues.

Been thinking about Confluence Point for awhile now, and I'm thinking about reworking one of the areas, most likely the exit, to make it more...interesting.

EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/17PrFzv.png

I knew how to make an invisible bridge!

EDIT #2: Does anyone know how to make candles float on the bridge? I can't seem to do it.

Beta release is now scheduled for September instead of August 9 since we're not ready for it yet. Tomorrow is August 1 which is another status report date so be sure to post something about what you are doing and where you are up to, whether that be a download, screenshot or written blurb about your map progress, just to keep us informed. The next reporting date after tomorrow will be on September 1, by then we should be ready or near enough so to compile the beta if all goes well.

I might post a screenshot of my work tomorrow. I haven't really done much as I am back at uni whilst recovering from a wounded leg so I'll just do what I can. I want to make something good for Megiddo though and really don't want to throw in the towel like I nearly did for Sensorium so I'll hopefully be able to make an effort.

In time for the status report, I have finished a small revision to Confluence Point. And I ask for another rename, Broken Confluence Point.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c0szpumj3me18at/

All I really did though was enhance the exit area. There is now an invisible bridge at the end, with candles you have to follow. But watch out for spiritual guardians in the dark! And don't stray from the candles!

Latest revision of Ring of Gyges:
-Revamped layout with new areas, more branching paths, non-linearity and secret methods of completing different areas.
-Texturing less uniformly brown and ugly.
-More checks on monster movement and hearing.
-Reduced cacodemons and revenants.
-Progressing through the level should feel more forgiving overall, but remain a challenge.

-Changes in difficulty pending feedback.*

http://www.mediafire.com/download/90grfdlfbpu738p/gyges5d.wad

Despite it being status report day, I might refrain from posting a screenshot as I have a lot to go on my Megiddo piece and it would be pointless to upload a pic just for the sake of it, I'd rather do something more substantial when the time is right.

Also, there will be a third pre-Beta release most likely sometime this month just for the sake of compiling updates.

I'm currently working on my section of Map 30, which I think is coming along okay. I'd show a screenshot, but I'm about to go out of town for the day with my folks, so that will have to wait until when I get back later tonight.

I've worked out about 3/4ths of Vile Arterium; should be available tomorrow. My Megiddo section has a ways to go since I have to incorporate about 8 more maps in while simultaneously keeping the space tidy.

dobugabumaru said:

I've worked out about 3/4ths of Vile Arterium; should be available tomorrow.

heh, will be interesting playing that. Having different monsters in a familar map is always fun.

Download Vile Arterium V.1. UV only implemented.

I did a bunch of little tweaks to it that are too numerous for me to remember; monster grouping is mostly the same. Basically, my goal was to place monsters in a way that the map becomes punishing if you try to push through it, but juxtaposes this with a very harsh start. Since the layout is so wildly interconnected it's hard to playtest for all scenarios and as such there are a handful of times where you can be starving for ammo or conversely flush with cell. Enemies come from a lot of different angles and while I could've played with some more block sound lines, the map already becomes a nightmare when you have to hunt down the final baddie for UV-max if they happen to stroll down the wrong hallway. Lemme know if I botched anything and it feels too unfair.

dobugabumaru said:

Download Vile Arterium V.1. UV only implemented.

Excellent stuff, here's a demo of me getting most of the way through it (got a bit slack on the cybers)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/as0z49gda4hb3h7/vile-mouldy.lmp

Because I know the map well I was probably more interested in checking out all the nooks and crannies than other people might, so its probably not a typical playthrough. One thing I really like about this map is the amount of freedom it gives you to explore. That start is great fun, very hectic. I guess you will see from the demo whether things worked as you intended, I love all the extra stuff and monsters in suprising places.

And just for a laugh here's a 5 minute 35% kills run through
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4y49vyoc9vff006/vile-mouldy2.lmp

^ Nice demos, got tense in the first one when you got reduced to 11%. Also I laughed out loud when you were carefully, slowly approaching the trigger line for the revenants in that southern section. Blazing through that part with all the monsters still alive in the soulsphere room is always fun IMO.

Only things I notice I have to do is put block monster lines around the exit pedestal for the cybies and at least put something in so you can't just scoot past the big manc lava hallway. I do agree that the map is always entertaining to play since you can tackle each area as you please although a downside is that there can be some unfortunate larger-size monster clutter occasionally (for instance, at the lava hallway I had to pull the cubbies the mancs were in back a bit in order not to aggro them in an already small room). It's still a lot of fun to play through and I'm eagerly waiting to see what the UV-Max route looks like. Good job on the detail again too; there were a bunch of cool ceiling details I noticed as I was putting monsters in.

dobugabumaru said:

Only things I notice I have to do is put block monster lines around the exit pedestal for the cybies and at least put something in so you can't just scoot past the big manc lava hallway.

The idea of the armour in that hallway as incentive to stop and deal with them is good, maybe if it was an item more vital and the way of getting it more cumbersome... either that or block the exit with a surprise monster (a bit cheap maybe)