Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
General Rainbow Bacon

Arch-Nemesis wad

It's not a wad for arch-vile haters. It's a garden maze with nothing but arch-viles. Still, the custom music was good, even though the gameplay is not my taste.

Yeah, that midi kicks ass. Source?

I liked it. Exited after 12 minutes with 17hp, tysoning the last two archviles. Certain parts were more filler/time-consuming than really interesting or entertaining (specifically, killing the first AV duo with just the shotgun, and hiding up top / back down against some later groups that were too many to attack upfront), with excessive hide and seek, but all in all it was fun. Good atmosphere and good looks, tight ammo balance, had a few close calls in there.

No demo, because P_LoadSubsectors: no subsectors in level.

Basically, you're using extended nodes to build your map, which makes it only valid for PrBoom+ 2.5.0.7 and above or ZDoom-compatible ports, as far as I know.

This makes sense for extremely large maps that would break the normal limits, but on maps like this that would run on any Boom port (and perhaps even vanilla? not sure if you used Boom features or not and/or if it breaks vanilla limits, as it is pretty small) that's kind of reducing the potential audience for no good reason. I still use PrBoom+ 2.5.0.6 most of the time and I'm 1) lazy 2) stubborn, so even though I used PrBoom+ 2.5.1.2 to play it I didn't feel like setting up a shortcut or typing up a command line to record a demo.

ah okay, yeah i use the zdoom node builder all the time for some reason. I guess I just like not having to switch back and forth between node builders and just use the one that allows the most freedom.

Were the Viles beefed up at all? I generally used 15 single barrel shotty rounds on the first chap.

My main problem with the gameplay was how predictable the monster deployment was. I did find it tense, I just found its predictability a bit wearisome, and since I don't like Arch-Viles AT ALL I found it a bit off putting. Nice to see someone taking a themed approach though. Vile lovers will love it.