Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

game developers thread

Best and Worst game threads were in this forum, if you think this should moved to polls have the mods do it, I don't care.

Alright *claps hands*. Favorite, and least favorite, game designers or developers. Go.

Favorite

Raven
Epic
ION (They're dead, you don't have to tell me, christ).

Least Favorite

Blizzard
Capcom
id

Whee!

Argh.

id has refused to do anything remotely interesting since doom. Not Doom 2, not Quake 1, not Quake 2, and sure as hell not Quake 3. I don't give a flying fuck if CarmackAttack can make Doom 145 run at 1600 times 1200 on a voodoo 3 or if he can pack it full of triangular bumping mipmapping polygons, I don't play games to wander around and look at how good the engine for it handles shadows. A truly great game has to have powerful, enjoyable gameplay and an involving atmosphere and plot. Quakes 1-3 have no such things.

Wanna play Quake? Super. Get Hexen 2 and experience Quake as it should've been.

Wanna play Quake 2? Fine. Get Daikatana and experience Quake 2 as it should've been.

Wanna play Quake 3? Just fuck the Quake 3 engine and get Unreal Tournament which has all the glorious gameplay Quake 3 should've had.

This thread is about giving your favorite and least favorite developers, not telling Liam off because he doesn't like the Carmack god in his brown-and-orange recycled gameplay glory.

well that's just your opinion, but I've been very satisfied with everying out of iD except doom2. Quake 3 could have been a little better but I don't think it was that bad.

well that's just your opinion, but I've been very satisfied with everying out of iD except doom2. Quake 3 could have been a little better but I don't think it was that bad.

I'm all fine and dandy with that but the point of this thread is to express your opinion and all the replies I've got so far (I don't care that there's only 3 or 4) have said "Wow what's wrong with id dude" instead of answering the question I asked in the first place. So I answered them. There.

Jeez, sorry for asking why id was on your least favorites list.

To be honest, I really don't play much else other than Doom. There's plenty of Doom things to keep me occupied, and I also want to have a life (yes, a life). I may be shallow when it comes to gaming experience outside of Doom, but at least I don't go crashing into arguments about games I've never played.

In fact, the only computer games I've really played in-depth are Doom, Doom2, Duke Nukem 3d, Heretic, Hexen, Quake, and Quake 2. Out of those, Quake is the only one I really didn't like. I've also played a few games like Command and Conquer before, but those got repetitive real quick.

And it's not that I refuse to consider any other games. I consider myself to actually be pretty open-minded, if the opportunity presents itself. But I don't go out of my way to get access to all sorts of different games.

There, you can all make fun of me now.

same with mortal combat. worst fucking game ever.

Mortal Kombat is pretty damn bad. Killer Instinct rules =)

And it's not that I refuse to consider any other games. I consider myself to actually be pretty open-minded, if the opportunity presents itself. But I don't go out of my way to get access to all sorts of different games.

To have an opportunity to play a new game you can either download a demo online or pick one up whenever you're at best buy or something. It's not really hard to obtein games now a days. I don't get games because I don't ever play them.

To have an opportunity to play a new game you can either download a demo online or pick one up whenever you're at best buy or something. It's not really hard to obtein games now a days. I don't get games because I don't ever play them.

Actually, my cousin buys a bunch of games and brings 'em down here. My brother buys some stuff occaisionally, too. Or else I'll get them for Christmas or something. That's what I mean by when the opportunity presents itself.

My favorite game developers:
Capcom - They do like to run a game concept into the ground but they do it with a rare style and flair. Most of their games are just fucking fun as hell to play and that's what counts.
Square - They made Final Fantasy 3. They made Parasite Eve. That's enough for me for these fuckers to make the list. They also made some mediocre games like Brave Fencer Musashi and some Goddamn terrible games like Final Fantasy X.
3D Realms - Duke3D. From what I know about Duke 4, oh hell yeah.
Raven - Hexen and Soldier of Fortune. SoF2 comes out this month! =)))

Game developers that can choke on a lump in my shit:
id - Doom was the last thing worth playing from these fuckers. Ever notice the mission packs are 10x better than the actual games?
Monolith - Blood and Blood 2 are fucking awesome, TOO BAD YOU NEVER FINISHED THEM YOU GODDAMN SONSABITCHES!
Remedy - Just because Max Payne won so many awards for ripping off The Matrix (which ripped off Blade). This game gets even more boring than Doom 2 and it gets there 400x faster.

please bare in mind that iD's engines are the ones being used all the time. Without iD, you'd be fucked.

Maonth: They are listing them after their ability to create fun gameplay. I don't agree entirely that Id are bad (they're usually good at designing stuff like weapons and enemies in a way which makes it satisfying to kill in the game) but they really haven't done anything NEW since Doom.
If this thread rated the developers as engine developers then id would be the clear winner.

what Archvile said, I pretty much only play Doom. My system can't handle much else and not get choppy, POS.

Of course I play the odd bout of Duke Nukem 3d, I like Klingon Honor Guard, which uses the Unreal engine, uh, Shadow Warrior is ok for five minutes, Wolfenstein once in a while, and then Gran Turismo 2 on my PSX.

I don't have the time for much else. I have soemthing like 3,500 Doom and Doom2 pwads. It rarely gets boring :)

And yes, I downloaded them all on a 56k.

ID can't be in your least favourites if you like Doom as much as half teh people here. I'd say my faovurites are

ID
Eidos
3D Realms

ID can't be in your least favourites if you like Doom as much as half the people here.

hmm. You're right. It is kind of backwards to hate iD and love DOOM.

best:
id (Doom, Doom2)
square (Final Fantasy VI)

Worst:
EA (maybe 'cause I hate all sport games, practice the sport instead of playing a stupid game morons!)

Monolith - Blood and Blood 2 are fucking awesome, TOO BAD YOU NEVER FINISHED THEM YOU GODDAMN SONSABITCHES!

I beat Blood and Cryptic Passage, BITCHFACE

The Best
Capcom - sure, they absolutely flog the shit out of a concept once it sells well, but nonetheless quite a few of gaming's classics have come from this company (Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Street Fighter 2, Resident Evil, and no doubt a few others I've overlooked).
Raven - better than id.
Origin - or what was once Origin but is now swallowed up in that monstrosity called EA. Provided consistently good gameplay experiences back in the day.
Lucasfilm Games/Lucasarts - again, great gaming experiences before they discovered that Star Wars games sell no matter what the quality is (TIE Fighter rulz, and Day of the Tentacle is my all time fave adventure game).
Looking Glass - RIP... but at least Thief 3 is being made :) And, of course, Ultima Underworld and System Shock wouldn't be around if it wasn't for these guys.
Neversoft - sure, they're starting to flog the shit out of their systems nowadays too, but who's gonna argue that THPS isn't a blast to play? Easy to learn, hard to master, keeps you coming back for more...
Codemasters - mainly doing TOCA and Colin Mcrae nowadays, but their library of titles are just as addictive.
Volition - Descent and Freespace rulz. 'nuff said.
Shiny - Earthworm Jim, MDK... both classics.

The Worst
ION Storm - pre-Deus Ex that is... that RTS they made was awful, and Daikatana was nice to look at but after an hour of killing frogs and mosquitoes I no longer had the initiative to play it.
Torus - absolutely killed Carmageddon with TDR2000. Bastards.
Whoever it was that made Deer Hunter - die dammit you shitty unattractive series of drink coasters!

faverite:

westwood - c&c 0wnz me
capcom - only played a few, mostly megaman ones, love them all

middle:
id - last half decent game= quake2

on my hit-list:

square - will any ff game from when the last good one (never played it) ever have a decent story!?
interplay - no real reason, they just piss me off
core(not sure) - tomb raider fucking sucked
valve - HL is nothing to marvle at, just how long these asses have managed to keep selling a 4-5 year old game at the price of a 6 month old game is well beyond me

bah fuck, time for school and i dont konw what my second class is

bah fuck, time for school and i dont konw what my second class is

Applied Dyslexia, B course