Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
foul_owl

jDRP without Snowberry

How do I use jDRP with Doomsday without Snowberry? I have just the .box file. Where does that go, and what command line params do I pass to doomsday to get it to use jDRP?

Running Ubuntu.

Thanks!

Easiest way is to open the .box and extract the individual PK3's for each model into 'JDoom/Auto'. This means the models will be auto loaded everytime you run Doom.

The complex way would be to make a Kickstart eqivilent of a box.

Do you know what a likely path would be for the JDoom folder in a standard Ubuntu installation of doomsday?

Also, should I refer to that engine as jdoom or doomsday?

Thanks for the help!

Whoops, missed a part of the path off. Sorry.

It's 'Data/JDoom/Auto' within your Doomsday folder. You may have to create the auto folder yourself.

The ports name is 'Doomsday'.

Once upon a time, there were three separate ports, 'JDoom', 'JHeretic' and 'JHeXen'. At some point the author decided to merge them into a single port 'Doomsday'.

Though many Doomsday files and folders still use the legacy 'Jxxxx' names.

Generally speaking you can't use .box addons without Snowberry. Snowberry addons allow users to construct parametric mods, which the user can configure via the GUI. Without the GUI, you might run into various component compatibility issues which you will have to solve yourself.

Saying that however, you can use the .box version of jDRP without Snowberry. The easiest way to do so is to make use of Doomsday's virtual directory mapping features (these work somewhat similarly to symlinks but at application level).

For example, to have Doomsday load the contents of /usr/foul_owl/doom/addons/jDRP.box as if it were placed in the auto folder, pass the following command to Doomsday:

-vdmap /usr/foul_owl/doom/addons/jDRP.box/required }data/jdoom/auto
-vdmap /usr/foul_owl/doom/addons/jDRP.box }data/jdoom/auto
Note that you can use the same method on any supported platform to map any directory to anywhere else in Doomsday's virtual hierarchy. It is never necessary in modern Doomsday to modify the install directory.

Hmmm, perhaps I should try and get Snowberry to work. When I try to run it, I get this:

File "snowberry.py", line 25, in <module>

AttributeError: 'BoxSizer' object has no attribute 'AddStretchSpacer'

I use wx-2.8-msw-ansi and Python 2.5.4 for building Snowberry on Windows. Perhaps you are using an incompatible version of either?

Snowberry hasn't been updated in a while since it is being phased out, however it builds fine for me on Windows at least.