Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Question about forum software

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/online.php?

So, I'm curious, since one can view exactly what each individual user is doing, is this stuff typically logged, or is it too trivial and space consuming (especially after years of content piling up) for it to be? I'm not at all afraid of being tracked, I was just curious if this was realtime only, or if for whatever reason it's archived/logged? And if it is logged, is it common on other forum software as well?

MWAHAHAHA, you can't see what I'm doing - though I expect the admins can.

If our movements on the forums are being logged, I'd be surprised if it's for more than the last 24 hours.

There's also a secret menu that only the admins can access that allows them to hack into your webcam, turn it on, and watch what you're doing

hex11 said:

Yep, I can see you there with your friend "Mary Jane". ;)

Right now, I'm high on the flu virus. I mean, even though I'm totally clean, I feel really intoxicated from the effects this illness is having on me.

Logging what pages users visit is overkill for the forum software itself, but most likely the web server is already doing that (most are configured by default to do so).

The only times I used it was to see if people were checking out my new topic that I posted. For example, when I posted the steam topic, I watched the page and learned a couple of things. I saw Essel watching the topic for some time, presumedly moderating it because it had the potential to escalate out of control. I saw a number of users busy typing a reply, but after they were done, most users never actually replied, showing that a lot of people re thought what they were about to say.

Also, it's useful to see links you post are actually visited. When for a topic, I went and got an old newstuff article, I wanted to know that people were actually reading it. And they were.

Kind of creepy though that the current user activity is open up for everyone to see.