Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Alpha Shotgun Mod?

Are there any mods that replace Doom 3's current shotgun with the version from the alpha? Google has yielded no results.

I've never seen one. Someone created some kind of "Alpha mod" some time ago, but I think it just replaced certain textures and sounds. Can't recall what it was even called, but browse Doom 3 Files and you'll find it eventually.

I have to say that the alpha shotgun looked much better than the version in Doom 3 final, though. Several little things like that were changed for no sensible reason.

The Alpha Mod didn't include any of the original models from the real alpha, just some sounds, maps, and textures. The reason is pretty simple, too: the md5 format is completely different from what it was during the alpha's lifetime and there are no compatible tools or converters for the old format.

It's kind of sad, because I also think the old shotgun looked better than the newer one.

Marnetmar said:

One other question, is there a way to reposition where the gun model is on the screen?

Look for a string containing "offset" or something like that in the weapon's def file. Not all weapon-related def files have this string, because certain weapons were positioned in a model editor, but you can add it. Chaingun has it for sure, so you can use it for reference.

I don't know if there's a less intrusive way.

Marnetmar said:

Are there any mods that replace Doom 3's current shotgun with the version from the alpha? Google has yielded no results.

I'm not really sure if this counts... but BladeYajuta's Weapons Ops mod features an Ithaca M37 Stakeout straight out of DOOM 1. It literally looks like the DOOM 1 shotgun and you could take the shotgun from that and copy and paste it to replace the DOOM 3 shotgun.

Also, there is DOOM 3: Phobos which features an very awesome looking shotgun. Just ask Shaviro about it! :D

I kind of managed to get it working, though it's not perfect. While the file format is very different, it's still saved in plain text. I couldn't do anything about the animations, they were too different, but the mesh code was fairly similar, so I went ahead and replaced it onto the final D3 shotgun's skeleton and animations. The end result is not perfect because the final shotty skeleton doesn't have bones for the shell eject thingy, so it ended up missing. Anyways, here's some screenies of the result:

I didn't think it was possible since it used an earlier version of the model format which isn't present in most modelling software.

it could probably be improved further by exporting it to a modeling program like 3ds and fiddling around with it there, but seeing how low-poly model it is (most of the detail is in the textures) not sure if it's worth it, I might try to instead make a high-poly remake from scratch in the future when I'm not feeling lazy.

Clonehunter said:

I'll accept this bump, because this looks pretty cool. The Alpha shotgun was definitely superior.

Yes, I'm sorry for bumping this old topic. I wanted to see if I could get this mesh in the game like this as it's something I've looked for in mods over the many years since DOOM 3's release and I've never found it. I realize it wouldn't be perfect being a different version of an MD5mesh on the other bones. Perhaps you could just leave the ejection port as-is even though it won't open without the bones? Even just getting it as you showed it would be neat as I think the original shotgun mesh was better-looking.

I'd be happy as long as the gun went through the motions, even if it didn't really animate properly (Unless it was really glitched)

Clonehunter said:

I'd be happy as long as the gun went through the motions, even if it didn't really animate properly (Unless it was really glitched)

Me too. It sounds like it wasn't idential in animations due to not being able to convert the earlier version animations but since it was using the existing animations and bones from the final game that it would work even if the ejection port didn't move. "GodOfGaming" was the one to figure out how to convert the alpha MD5, a version 6 mesh, to a version 10/final game mesh, so I will try to get in contact with him. I wish I had seen this thread sooner. Both formats are text files with bones and coordinates but there are some major differences between 6 and 10 and I've never seen that done anywhere else. I actually tried to do this myself years ago to get this shotgun in the game and failed so the fact that he got it to this stage is excellent. This and the world mesh for picking up the weapon/seeing it wielded by zombies would allow a mod to have it roughly how it was in the alpha.

I'd like to have the shell eject port intact even if it's not animated too, it looks pretty ugly without it, but it's not as simple as it sounds. The shell eject port is made up from 2 parts, and these 2 parts have their own bones in the original skeleton, and those bones are missing in the final skeleton. I tried attaching them to different bones, but the 2 parts ended up sticking out of the gun in various different places. Here's how it looked when I tried to attach them to the shotty body's main bone:

you can see them sticking out below the place where they should be. I'm not even sure if they're scaled correctly :D Someone will need to open this in external modeling software and reposition them into place. I tried doing it in 3ds max real quick, but I only ended up breaking it even more, so I gave up.

I can't share it right now, my system drive died recently so my desktop PC is unusable, give me a few days to buy a new system drive. The files are safe on the storage drive. I only bothered fixing the 1st person view model, haven't touched the 3rd person / world model, though I could try, if you guys help me out to finish it properly.

GodOfGaming said:

I'd like to have the shell eject port intact even if it's not animated too, it looks pretty ugly without it, but it's not as simple as it sounds. The shell eject port is made up from 2 parts, and these 2 parts have their own bones in the original skeleton, and those bones are missing in the final skeleton. I tried attaching them to different bones, but the 2 parts ended up sticking out of the gun in various different places. Here's how it looked when I tried to attach them to the shotty body's main bone:

you can see them sticking out below the place where they should be. I'm not even sure if they're scaled correctly :D Someone will need to open this in external modeling software and reposition them into place. I tried doing it in 3ds max real quick, but I only ended up breaking it even more, so I gave up.

I can't share it right now, my system drive died recently so my desktop PC is unusable, give me a few days to buy a new system drive. The files are safe on the storage drive. I only bothered fixing the 1st person view model, haven't touched the 3rd person / world model, though I could try, if you guys help me out to finish it properly.

I'll help as much as I can. Honestly even with the ejection port not appearing properly and potentially needing redone it still looks great and I've long thought it looks more shotgun than the one in the final game. The final game's shotgun appears to have an ejection port done on the side solely with the textures and in the event that those parts of the mesh can't be fixed via reposition, if you take a look at some of the many texture mods out there, it's possible to take the texture route, remove those parts of the mesh as you did, and use that section of the normal map to give that portion the appearance of some of the detail even without that part of the mesh there at all, since there's flat mesh underneath that can be potentially be altered in the shotgun's texture files. Waiting a few days is nothing; I've been waiting to be able to do this for a long time. Awesome stuff.

EDIT:

What if the 2 ejection port doors are made part of the main mesh, like merged in? Someone could redo the animation re-adding the bones needed for them to open and close with the cocking of the gun but if not, that would be a way to have the appearance be complete even without the full animations. Looking through the leftover files in the final game for it (the game assets refer to the final shotgun as shotgun2 so shotgun is this mesh) it looks to have been replaced very late in development. I'm not sure why. All the textures for it are blank except for the normal map, which compared to the normal map for it from the alpha assets, looks somewhat different. Perhaps they changed something that required recreating all the textures. When you share the mesh I'll try it with both to see how it looks different.

I like DOOM 3 alpha shotgun very much. Long times ago I tried to put it into the final version of DOOM 3, but it wasn't run properly. I like this verion what I've seen here :) And yes, it is similar to RAGE shotgun.

GodofGaming generously shared an incomplete version of this shotgun that works perfectly in vanilla DOOM 3 with the exception of the ejection port doors and the loading port door on the bottom, of which are related to the animations being different for the final shotgun, missing the appropriate bones needed, but it's still really neat I think to have it in the game.

This should be just enough to get the incomplete view mesh into the game. I have it further customized to sound and behave like the alpha shotgun, tightening the spread and changing the number of max shells in the gun to 5 and having them load individually.

Due to not being able to position the missing parts of the mesh due to no bones to attach them to, they were left out of the mesh. Having modified animations would allow them to be placed properly.

GodofGaming is really busy currently but the plan is to redo the mesh and try and fix some of the issues it has. The DOOM III E3 build doesn't have world meshes for any weapons so right now there's no new mesh for the shotgun pickup. I did get the HUD icon for it changed though.

The original files for it used in the E3 build can be found in the 'old' folder inside the pak file (the original version 6 mesh and animations which the final game cannot read.)

What would be really helpful would be if someone could use the view mesh to create a world mesh (I can tweak the textures to hide the missing parts, it wouldn't be as noticable since the world mesh is so low-poly) and/or to potentially modify the existing shotgun animation to re-add the bones needed for the ejection port doors and the little door on the bottom so that when GodofGaming redoes the conversion (The E3 build uses an earlier version of md5mesh and md5anim, both version 6, while the final game uses version 10, and there are huge differences between them.) I would be eternally grateful if anyone could help.

Right now just having a world mesh would be the next big step as I could touch up the textures for it and have it be basically complete.

You're welcome. I wish someone who has experience working with game meshes and animations could help me fix the remaining issues:

1. Creating a world_shotgun mesh from this.

2. Fixing the green invisibility effect on the view_mesh.

3. Adding the needed bones to the shotgun animations to allow for the ejection port doors and load port door on the bottom to be added.

4. The conversion of the mesh needs to be redone by GodofGaming as the above pieces were deleted since there were no bones to connect them to. I have literally no clue how he was able to do the conversion because as far as I know, there are no tools to work on/convert md5mesh version 6 (the version the alpha uses.) If no one is able to change the animations I'm curious if these parts could be merged into the body portion of the mesh so they'd be there but wouldn't move (better than nothing at all.)

If any of you DOOM 3 modders out there could help it would be greatly appreciated as I think ever since people saw the original shotgun mesh, they've wanted to see it in the final game and you could be the one to move this forward and 11 years after the game's release we could finally have it in the final game working properly. (Yay!)

What's interesting to note is that the animations were basically unfinished versions of what the final shotgun has in the first place, and the ejection port was never animated during the alpha either; the only truly unique anim detail was the load port flipping outwards as the hand slides the shells in one by one. It's probably why the whole bones problem is apparent since they hadn't gotten around to animating that yet. Looking at alpha footage again though, the thing really did look and sound like it packed a wallop compared to the giant black rectangle that was the final shotgun.

RikohZX said:

What's interesting to note is that the animations were basically unfinished versions of what the final shotgun has in the first place, and the ejection port was never animated during the alpha either; the only truly unique anim detail was the load port flipping outwards as the hand slides the shells in one by one. It's probably why the whole bones problem is apparent since they hadn't gotten around to animating that yet. Looking at alpha footage again though, the thing really did look and sound like it packed a wallop compared to the giant black rectangle that was the final shotgun.

Actually the ejection port doors have bones and are animated in the E3 2002 build. It is the position of the shotgun in it's cocking animation when they are briefly open that kind of hides the fact. In the E3 2003 trailer you can see an updated version where they stay open longer making it more easily visible, plus there is more than one cocking animation by that point. The loading door in the E3 2002 build does swing out while on the final shotgun it swings in, but it's basically in the same spot (as far as I know) so the bone for it should be there so I'm not sure why there's an issue with that part. It's interesting because even in the final game, looking at the place the ejected shell comes from is clearly unchanged from the original shotgun despite the ejection port having been moved to the lower side of the new shotgun where a lever was added that has animation that matches the cocking. Going by digging around in the game assets, the shotgun mesh change seems to have been done late in development and I would love to know why.

Even without animations, it would be nice if these things could be merged into the body of the mesh so that without bones, they at least show up in the right spots. That and creating a world mesh (this one in particular.)

J.B.R said:

Just tried it and it's awesome, looks way better than the shotgun we got in the final product, gonna keep it.

I liked it going back to the E3 stuff and was disappointed when the final game didn't have it so it's nice to finally have albeit incomplete at the moment.. I'm trying to convince GodofGaming that it's worth continuing work on this.

Maybe someone else will take interest and help out.

Ok guys, let's do this! I'm gonna explain what I did.

If you open up the default Doom 3 shotgun's mesh file (viewshotgun.md5mesh) in a text editor (I use notepad++) and also the alpha shotgun's mesh file (idle.md5mesh) and compare them, you'll see that the skeleton structure is pretty different, but the meshes are kind of similar. What I'm doing here is taking just the mesh of the alpha shotgun, and weighting it (by hand) to the final shotgun's skeleton, also using the final shotgun's hands, muzzle flash, etc.

The Doom 3's shotgun's mesh data starts at line 3210 with:

mesh {
	// meshes: shotgun2loadermesh, shotgun2hatchmesh, shotgun2triggermesh, shotgun2bodymesh, shotgun2thingymesh
	shader "models/weapons/shotgun/shotgun2"

numverts 521
	vert 0 ( 0.1032430008 0.4571369886 ) 0 1
	vert 1 ( 0.0898780003 0.4742140174 ) 1 1
	vert 2 ( 0.2645879984 0.4747689962 ) 2 1
	vert 3 ( 0.3052049875 0.4593909979 ) 3 1
The alpha shotty's mesh data starts at line 3495 with:
mesh 3 {
	shader "P:/Doom/base/models/weapons/shotgun/shotgun.tga"

numverts 525
	vert 0 0.419237 0.994942 0 1
	vert 1 0.403058 0.945494 1 1
	vert 2 0.376357 0.951637 2 1
	vert 3 0.445938 0.988799 3 1
First we have some data about the textures used, which in the final shotgun have a "2" added to the name. I just wanna use the original alpha shotty textures without editing them at all, so let's start by making a copy of the final shotty's viewmodel.md5mesh and edit shader "models/weapons/shotgun/shotgun2" to shader "models/weapons/shotgun/shotgun"

We then have data about the verticles of the mesh, and the structure as you can see is pretty similar, it's just that in MD5 version 10 you have some brackets, which are easy enough to add. So we copy the vert data into our new file, adding brackets, as such:
mesh {
	// meshes: shotgun2loadermesh, shotgun2hatchmesh, shotgun2triggermesh, shotgun2bodymesh, shotgun2thingymesh
	shader "models/weapons/shotgun/shotgun"

numverts 525
	vert 0 ( 0.419237 0.994942 ) 0 1
	vert 1 ( 0.403058 0.945494 ) 1 1
	vert 2 ( 0.376357 0.951637 ) 2 1
	vert 3 ( 0.445938 0.988799 ) 3 1
Repeat this for all 524 verts.

Now we have some data about the triangles formed by those vertices. The structure is unchanged between md5 ver 6 and md5 ver 10, so we just copy them as they are:
mesh {
	numtris 726
	tri 0 2 1 0
	tri 1 1 3 0
	tri 2 5 4 2
	tri 3 4 1 2
Now this is the hard part. The final thing we need to do is convert the weights. The final shotty's weight structure is as such:
	numweights 460
	weight 0 45 1 ( -1.1618540287 1.8253916502 -2.5651056767 )
	weight 1 45 1 ( -1.3241766691 1.4282286167 -2.8228754997 )
	weight 2 45 1 ( -1.3562994003 1.4366424084 0.5623182654 )
	weight 3 45 1 ( -1.538304925 1.7790647745 1.3458048105 )
The number, in this case 45, after the weight number, points to the bone of the skeleton this weight is weighted to. In the alpha shotty's file we have:
	numweights 387
	weight 0 7 1.000000 -0.161570 0.152631 -0.575566
	weight 1 7 1.000000 0.161570 -0.361041 0.002314
	weight 2 7 1.000000 -0.161570 -0.361041 0.002314
	weight 3 7 1.000000 0.161570 0.152631 -0.575566
The structure is again similar, we need to change that 1.000000 to a integer 1, and put some brackets, as such:
	numweights 387
	weight 0 46 1 ( -0.161570 0.152631 -0.575566 )
	weight 1 46 1 ( 0.161570 -0.361041 0.002314 )
	weight 2 46 1 ( -0.161570 -0.361041 0.002314 )
	weight 3 46 1 ( 0.161570 0.152631 -0.575566 )
The hard part is in finding which bone number to add. There is skeleton information with bone numbers in the top area of the file, so we have to cross-reference the 2 files, and do a bit of guessing. In this case, bone number 7 of the alpha shotty refers to the trigger bone. In the alpha shotty it's pretty clearly defined as:
bone 7 {
	name "trigger"
	bindpos 3.766150 10.143418 -8.745363
	bindmat 0.990420 -0.120908 -0.066710 0.071636 0.036860 0.996750 -0.118056 -0.991979 0.045168
	parent "body"
}
In the final shotty's file it's a bit more of a mess though. Here's what we have:
joints {
	"origin"	-1 ( 0 0 0 ) ( 0 0 0 )		// 
	"Luparm"	0 ( 0.4833493233 5.7511296272 -9.0378808975 ) ( 0.9081454873 0.3498200774 -0.144503355 )		// origin
	"Lloarm"	1 ( 7.2806649208 1.6676592827 -12.973526001 ) ( -0.0590322353 0.2909387052 0.8984508514 )		// Luparm
	"Lhand"	2 ( 12.3728561401 -3.0698595047 -8.4780578613 ) ( 0.0763709918 0.478425324 0.581056416 )		// Lloarm
	"Lindex_base"	3 ( 16.150226593 -4.7425680161 -9.0065507889 ) ( -0.5856987238 -0.4627053142 0.6216347814 )		// Lhand
	"Linkdex_mid"	4 ( 17.047876358 -5.2961034775 -8.6948957443 ) ( -0.6909412146 -0.274851203 0.5410302281 )		// Lindex_base
	"Lindex_tip"	5 ( 17.6754875183 -5.683578968 -7.8493061066 ) ( 0.5153698921 0.425893575 0.7064723372 )		// Linkdex_mid
	"LI"	6 ( 17.9837760925 -5.9791502953 -7.0266103745 ) ( -0.0160105079 0.6416182518 -0.3646076024 )		// Lindex_tip
	"Llothumb"	3 ( 13.7150249481 -2.5654306412 -7.7432045937 ) ( -0.50970608 -0.6824348569 0.3554845154 )		// Lhand
	"Lthumb_base"	8 ( 14.8900489807 -2.9082701206 -7.1972894669 ) ( -0.6056233048 -0.689471066 0.3253226578 )		// Llothumb
	"Lthumb_tip"	9 ( 15.9811010361 -3.1785695553 -6.665561676 ) ( 0.2044269741 0.2934559882 0.6186554432 )		// Lthumb_base
	"LT"	10 ( 17.0730247498 -3.5310857296 -6.1192808151 ) ( -0.0760235563 -0.4030703902 0.8790169358 )		// Lthumb_tip
	"Lmiddle_base"	3 ( 15.4484920502 -5.2113866806 -9.1504154205 ) ( -0.6302651167 -0.4068917334 0.6281057596 )		// Lhand
	"Lmiddle_mid"	12 ( 16.6324157715 -6.1513743401 -8.744884491 ) ( -0.7275019288 -0.173170954 0.5364482999 )		// Lmiddle_base
	"Lmiddle_tip"	13 ( 17.0850162506 -6.7068061829 -7.8768839836 ) ( 0.5479424 0.4130866528 0.7188144326 )		// Lmiddle_mid
	"LM"	14 ( 17.4486026764 -7.125038147 -6.7791156769 ) ( 0.102818042 0.6394601464 -0.3245222867 )		// Lmiddle_tip
	"Lpinky_base"	3 ( 14.4077243805 -6.7647986412 -8.8468084335 ) ( -0.6241989136 -0.3901802301 0.6318556666 )		// Lhand
	"Lpinky_mid"	16 ( 14.8070068359 -7.3026685715 -8.6946725845 ) ( -0.645483613 -0.2603185773 0.7071897984 )		// Lpinky_base
	"Lpinky_tip"	17 ( 15.0376338959 -7.7435803413 -8.1241779327 ) ( 0.7199357152 0.1250852197 0.6336508393 )		// Lpinky_mid
	"LP"	18 ( 15.3646745682 -8.1007432938 -7.4334173203 ) ( 0.2610396743 0.5585240722 -0.5533664823 )		// Lpinky_tip
	"Lring_base"	3 ( 14.9045257568 -5.8860750198 -9.3074493408 ) ( -0.6394466758 -0.3763082027 0.6468923688 )		// Lhand
	"Lring_mid"	20 ( 15.7196474075 -6.8555617332 -8.9111881256 ) ( -0.7254487872 -0.1432763487 0.5647428036 )		// Lring_base
	"Lring_tiip"	21 ( 16.2235984802 -7.3526673317 -8.1220016479 ) ( 0.5645759106 0.3668998778 0.7252514958 )		// Lring_mid
	"LR"	22 ( 16.5637626648 -7.7952003479 -7.1330022812 ) ( 0.0645155534 0.6355726719 -0.2869772315 )		// Lring_tiip
	"shell"	3 ( -6.2707862854 -3.9127318859 -17.100025177 ) ( -0.4763432145 0.4775516987 0.5630401969 )		// Lhand
	"Rloarm"	0 ( -7.5900211334 -6.6589999199 -6.7884960175 ) ( 0.5247763991 0.5635455251 0.3549961448 )		// origin
	"Rhand"	25 ( -0.4985799789 -5.145304203 -7.5785927773 ) ( -0.6043027639 -0.5303581953 0.2742325664 )		// Rloarm
	"Rfings1"	26 ( 1.8496937752 -5.1396722794 -7.3755803108 ) ( -0.0094320262 0.6949309707 0.1434427649 )		// Rhand
	"Rfings2"	27 ( 2.1104314327 -3.8172588348 -7.0822367668 ) ( -0.2022499889 0.6862661839 -0.1676591784 )		// Rfings1
	"Rfings3"	28 ( 1.6958292723 -3.1096203327 -7.0459222794 ) ( -0.4484608471 0.5684294701 -0.4241105318 )		// Rfings2
	"Rfings4"	29 ( 0.5986104012 -3.0831234455 -7.0436177254 ) ( -0.3770252466 -0.6146700382 0.3456977606 )		// Rfings3
	"Rindex"	26 ( 2.1099567413 -5.007291317 -5.8850240707 ) ( 0.2899479568 0.578058064 0.4233001173 )		// Rhand
	"Rindex1"	31 ( 3.3214888573 -4.4572753906 -5.7586479187 ) ( -0.2634427547 -0.6802030206 0.1538700908 )		// Rindex
	"Rindex2"	32 ( 3.6566333771 -3.7334990501 -5.6334171295 ) ( -0.1940689534 0.7109459043 -0.0916132778 )		// Rindex1
	"Rindex3"	33 ( 3.344804287 -2.9328768253 -5.535378933 ) ( -0.5668188334 -0.4192173183 -0.5053073168 )		// Rindex2
	"Rthumb1"	26 ( -0.3717519045 -4.487651825 -6.2595863342 ) ( -0.1106308028 -0.3452607095 0.1986611933 )		// Rhand
	"Rthumb2"	35 ( -0.2627551556 -3.2765741348 -5.5833754539 ) ( 0.3737838566 0.8790434003 0.2297670096 )		// Rthumb1
	"Rthumb3"	36 ( 0.6325426102 -2.8694131374 -5.5655493736 ) ( -0.3976115882 -0.1093833297 0.4031422436 )		// Rthumb2
	"Rthumb4"	37 ( 1.4502311945 -2.9615726471 -5.6329612732 ) ( -0.4975103438 -0.0576442443 0.4137215316 )		// Rthumb3
	"body"	26 ( 1.1294283867 -3.5466656685 -6.2687735558 ) ( -0.4847298861 0.4595376551 0.5807026029 )		// Rhand
	"barrel"	39 ( 24.3521671295 -5.8415298462 -5.6125850677 ) ( -0.7328779697 -0.0302119888 0.0089676399 )		// body
	"bottomhatch"	39 ( 7.2126793861 -4.1016025543 -6.775352478 ) ( -0.4847298861 0.4595376551 0.5807026029 )		// body
	"eject"	39 ( 8.8610668182 -3.1246507168 -4.5294680595 ) ( -0.0437424332 -0.7325106263 -0.0071747582 )		// body
	"flash"	39 ( 27.2414665222 -1.9965937138 -2.5861241817 ) ( -0.7328779697 -0.0302120335 0.0089676017 )		// body
	"thingy"	39 ( 7.5711240768 -2.9426212311 -4.5114688873 ) ( -0.7328779697 -0.0302120335 0.0089676017 )		// body
	"toob"	39 ( 16.3328342438 -4.9797677994 -6.6996021271 ) ( -0.4847298861 0.4595376551 0.5807026029 )		// body
	"trigger"	39 ( 3.6178686619 -3.9214844704 -5.3162083626 ) ( -0.4847298861 0.4595376551 0.5807026029 )		// body
}
There are some numbers after the bones that you might first guess are the bone numbers, but they're not. They're not actually shown anywhere, you have to manually count all the bones, starting with 0 for the origin bone. Doing so, the trigger, which is the last bone in the final skeleton, is number 46. So I replaced the "7" with "46" as you just saw above.

This is how I did the conversion. And now that I explained it, you should be able to do it too. The problem with the empty shell release door thingy is that I can't find an equivalent bone in the final mesh's skeleton to attach it to. I tried attaching it to a few that I thought it would work, including the body's bone, but the result was, as you saw, them sticking out on the side in an ugly fashion. I hope you'll be able to find a way around that. I just removed them altogether.

spamclark15, why won't you upload this file to Mod DB and name it after this thread (Alpha Shotgun Mod)? It's great, and I think others should be able to locate it easily.

HovoFedayi said:

spamclark15, why won't you upload this file to Mod DB and name it after this thread (Alpha Shotgun Mod)? It's great, and I think others should be able to locate it easily.

I really don't have the skillset myself to complete this mod. I like the idea of it and honestly I'm shocked it was managed to get as much into the game, but things like the weapon's animations need tweaked to match up with parts of the mesh that were changed when shotgun2 replaced it in the final game. The mesh shared corrently has the parts that are not animated properly deleted, which means the mesh needs to go through the conversion listed here again to bring those parts back so that the animation can place these objects where they belong, like the ejection port doors. The other part is that it needs a world mesh. With the DOOM 3 alpha there were no world models for any of the weapons as far as I know so it would need to be created by completing the view mesh, deleting out the hands/forearms, and downscaling it so that what you see lying on the floor or in someone's hands matches what you're seeing.

I guess I could create one if it would help lure people into working to complete the project.

Great that you've created a page on Mod DB. I still highly suggest uploading the file, even if it's an early work. It's already awesome as it is!