Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Zero Tolerance (Megadrive game)

Personally, I think it's a very impressive tech demo for the Megadrive (especially how it had slopes!), but it's slightly mediocre as a game. That, and the music is pretty fucking horrible. Oh, and that voice that won't shut up when you pick anything up is annoying.

What are your thoughts on it?

It doesn't run on my cheap FireCore "Mega Drive" :-(

Other than that it looks pretty impressive.

This was one of my favorite games growing up, but I admit it was a bit slow gameplay wise. Years ago I wanted to make a sequel or a remake in Doom to update the gameplay. I just never got around to it.

Also, about a month ago I started picking apart the ROM and working on a cross-platform level editor for it. There's another one out there already, but I wanted something new to work on. I had a basic editor working and was trying to figure out how textures were stored before I put it on the back burner.

Dr. Durr said:

It's proof there could of been a good port of Wolf 3D for Genesis.

No doubt. Zero Tolerance isn't the only first-person game on there. There was also Battle Frenzy, though personally I always thought that game sorta sucked.

Actually a pretty neat game, all things considered, and it enlightened me to a strange quirk with the Genesis and RF/composite signals - the developers of ZT managed to hack more colors on screen by taking advantage of the vertical color bleeding. So in an emulator, gradients and dim textures appear with a lot of vertical stripes. On a TV, they appear smooth. Emulators like Kega Fusion can show this. Looks blurrier, yeah, but it's the best way to see games like this, and the infamous Brazilian Duke Nukem 3D port.

yukib1t said:

This was one of my favorite games growing up, but I admit it was a bit slow gameplay wise. Years ago I wanted to make a sequel or a remake in Doom to update the gameplay. I just never got around to it.

I've always thought this would be cool.

EDIT: has anyone tried the Genesis FPS Bloodshot/Battle Frenzy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Frenzy

Sodaholic said:

I think it's a very impressive tech demo for the Megadrive (especially how it had slopes!)

Virtua Racing would like a word with you:-

Maes said:

It would be impressive if it wasn't for the extra hardware in the cartridge.

Forgot about that.

According to this the only game it was used for was Virtua Racing. Heh, a new processor just for the benefit of one game. With decisions like that it's no wonder Sega ran out of pocket money and stopped making hardware by the late 90's.

Didn't F-22 Interceptor use the same technology as Virtua Racing?

Anyway I too considered doing some kind of Doom re-make of Zero Tolerance. Except I probably would make the space station much smaller, the building more interesting and the basement section much shorter. Then add a final level such as a teleporter leading to an alien ship hidden on the moon or something.

deathbringer said:

Didn't F-22 Interceptor use the same technology as Virtua Racing?

There are a handful of flight simulators on the Genesis that, while they did have polygonal graphics, they are powered entirely by the Genesis' built-in hardware and had no extra processors on the cartridge. I actually own one of these - Atari's "Steel Talons" port. It runs pretty horribly.

Toy Story on the Genesis also has a very impressive first persion segment. I think they used some kind of mirroring trick to display textures on both the ground and the floor. Many other technical aspects of the game are also well-crafted. The title screen for example plays a 4-channel module pretty clearly.

Ah, the first person sequence from Toy Story. I remember being really impressed, because it was 1996, just a few years after Wolf 3D and Doom. Not only were there floor/ceiling textures in addition to wall textures, but there was light diminishing, an attempt at a strobe effect in a couple of areas and scaled sprites. It was a bit clunky but it took up most of the screen!

Well, at the end of the day the Genesis had a full-features 68000 inside. Whatever an A500 could do, it could do as well (most of the time). I always felt it was really underpowered in the audio department though, though :-/

In some ways it was, yeah. Options for playing back PCM samples or something similar were slim, and basically limited to a single channel on the YM2612 chip. On the other hand, it did have decent FM synthesis capabilities, with five (or six) FM channels that had four operators each. These were patch-compatible with the DX line of synths.

yukib1t said:

In some ways it was, yeah. Options for playing back PCM samples or something similar were slim, and basically limited to a single channel on the YM2612 chip. On the other hand, it did have decent FM synthesis capabilities, with five (or six) FM channels that had four operators each. These were patch-compatible with the DX line of synths.

Not to mention that, in the right hands, it could sound pretty damned impressive regardless of the tech level.