Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

File access icon?

OK, anyone has any idea where the graphic/resource for THAT was found/defined? Was it a DOS doom.exe embedded exclusive? I don't really remember seeing it anywhere but in doom.exe/doom2.exe themselves, Carlos' cDoom, and, if I'm not wrong, in the infamous Emscripten/Javascript port of linuxdoom.

Edit: NM, found it from CDoom:

void I_BeginRead() {
   V_DrawPatch(304,184,0,W_CacheLumpName("STDISK", PU_CACHE),0);
   reading=8; 
   }
So STDISK it is...

Love the blue icon.
Reactivating it was top priority for me.
As a gag the disk icon is drawn using a SSE2 based memcpy routine... understandably I'm eagerly awaiting my entrance into the hall of fame next to Carmack and Miyamoto.

Only if you generate it from a fractally compressed lump using SSE2.

Maes said:

Only if you generate it from a fractally compressed lump using SSE2.

Fractal compression isn't cool anymore.

Theres also a similar CD icon in the 1.9 Iwads; 'STCDROM'. Was that ever used (and as an aside, I guess it wasn't in earlier versions of the Iwad?)?

I mean Doom95 had an option to play directly off the CD.

Vermil said:
Theres also a similar CD icon in the 1.9 Iwads; 'STCDROM'. Was that ever used (and as an aside, I guess it wasn't in earlier versions of the Iwad?)?

I had Doom II 1.666 on CD that could run directly off the disc (handy when I only had a 120MB hard drive); I'm pretty sure it had a little CD-ROM icon while loading stuff instead of the floppy disk.

CODOR said:

I had Doom II 1.666 on CD that could run directly off the disc (handy when I only had a 120MB hard drive); I'm pretty sure it had a little CD-ROM icon while loading stuff instead of the floppy disk.

Never saw that - will have to try this version.
Love such little differences.

STCDROM is used instead of STDISK if the game is started with the -cdrom parameter. Other side effects include the C:\DOOMDATA directory being created and used for savegames, config files, and screenshots, and IIRC, an acknowledgement at startup that the game is in CD-ROM mode.