Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sgtcrispy

Acorn Risc Doom 2!

I have an Acorn Risc PC, and played Doom on it for 5 years using the original exes under emulation, and then a port to native RISC OS named DIY before I jumped ship to Linux and PrBoom.

I didn't use the engine the guy had there (coincidentally named Doom+). I think the company who put it out must have bought a licence from id, because they were selling it as a full game along with the IWADs, which I didn't need. I don't think you could get it separately, and I'm not sure it was ever open-sourced.

Shading in Doom looks weird - is it hardware accelerated?

I noticed that the heads-up messages seem to have been British-localised ("armour"), which I guess makes sense for RISC OS :-P

This is the first Doom source port I've seen with a built-in clock.

fraggle said:

Maybe it's because it was filmed with a camera?

fraggle said:

More like it has some "analogue warmth" added to it -even though the filming was probably entirely digital- ;-)

boris said:

Maybe it's because it was filmed with a camera?

Heh, that might be it, actually.

It gives the illusion that it has some kind of high-quality shading going on, like in _bruce_'s true colour port, but I think there's just shading from the bottom to the top of the screen because of the camera angle.

fraggle said:

It gives the illusion that it has some kind of high-quality shading going on, like in _bruce_'s true colour port, but I think there's just shading from the bottom to the top of the screen because of the camera angle.

Do you realize what you have done? Now there will be demand for a "camera-like nostalgia effect plugin" and endless debates on how Doom looked better on 14" CRT monitors of 1993 and subsequent requests for a proper emulation mode -with scanline emulation, scanline de-interlacing and all ;-)

Gez said:

I'm still waiting for people to port Doom to the analytical engine, the Jacquard loom and the Pascaline.

I'd hate to see the size of the media required to store the equivalent code, let alone the IWAD/PWAD data. Of course after handwaving the -quite strong- assumption that somehow they are Turing complete.

Of course, you could always program the loom to weave Doom's intro screen or something ;-)

I must be weird, because I'm more excited that the programmer knows what Cannon Fodder is than I am that he ported Doom 2. =P

Maes said:

Do you realize what you have done? Now there will be demand for a "camera-like nostalgia effect plugin" and endless debates on how Doom looked better on 14" CRT monitors of 1993 and subsequent requests for a proper emulation mode -with scanline emulation, scanline de-interlacing and all ;-)

I'm half surprised that nobody has asked for XAnalogTV support in Chocolate Doom yet :)

fraggle said:

I'm half surprised that nobody has asked for XAnalogTV support in Chocolate Doom yet :)

Every CPU I've compiled that for has had abysmal performance running it.

I can't see that webm video, but gather this is like the tv2x scaler in ScummVM? (possibly MAME too, if it uses same code)

Anyway, it sounds like a cool idea. :)

hex11 said:

Anyway, it sounds like a cool idea. :)

You can get pretty much the same effect if you use your video card's composite or S-Video output, connect it to any TV (including modern LCD ones) and fudge around a bit with the settings ;-)

Oh, I just have my laptop screen. DOSBox also seems to have some interesting scalers, but they don't work:

Exit to error: Could not set fullscreen video mode 1280x800-32: No video mode large enough for 1280x800

(the max this 14-inch LCD can manage is 1024x768)

hex11 said:

I can't see that webm video, but gather this is like the tv2x scaler in ScummVM?

I haven't seen that. XAnalogTV is an impressively accurate simulation of an old analog CRT TV. As I understand, it actually works by simulating a real analog TV signal, applying different kinds of interference and then decoding its own distorted signal.

Ironically, on a good quality SVGA 14" monitor capable of 1024 x 768 SVGA resolutions with a dot pitch of 0.28 and a skewed grid pixel arrangement (aka pretty much the average monitor shipped with any new PC in 1993-1994), it was quite hard to see scanlines with the naked eye even in plain VGA mode, so all these "scanline emulators" are kinda moot: they are trying to emulate a "nostalgic effect" that simply was never there to begin with. It'a form of Zeerust.

The only PC monitors I remember having visible scanlines were very old (pre-SVGA) VGA monitors, as well as older EGA, CGA and Hercules monitors. OTOH Amiga/Atari ST and arcade screenshots in magazines always showed visible scanlines in photos...well, no kidding, since those computers/arcades were usually connected to monitors/naked CRTs that had little or no difference from ordinary TVs.

Maes said:

The only PC monitors I remember having visible scanlines were very old (pre-SVGA) VGA monitors, as well as older EGA, CGA and Hercules monitors. OTOH Amiga/Atari ST and arcade screenshots in magazines always showed visible scanlines in photos...well, no kidding, since those computers/arcades were usually connected to monitors/naked CRTs that had little or no difference from ordinary TVs.

http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/660-Aspect-Ratios-Scanlines-and-Modern-Displays this is an amazing read. its aewsome how much you could tweak these monitors.