Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Editing the Clip, Chaingun, and Backpack to give more bullets

Since you can burn through bullets so easily, I've wanted to allow the player to get more from pickups. Below with be an evaluated list:

In short:

• Clip:
    Used, 10
    New, 20

• Chaingun:
    Used, 20
    New, 40

• Backpack:

I greatly appreciate the help, it will help the flow of Revenge.wad, and will make bullets overall more useful.

Now, the most important question I have to ask is how you can fit that and this other decorate file into one.
actor NewCacodemon : Cacodemon replaces Cacodemon
{
bloodcolor blue
}

actor NewHellknight : Hellknight replaces Hellknight
{
bloodcolor darkgreen
}

actor NewBaronOfHell : BaronOfHell replaces BaronOfHell
{
bloodcolor darkgreen
}

actor NewSpectre : Spectre replaces Spectre
{
BloodType FuzzyBlood
}

actor FuzzyBlood : Blood
{
+SHADOW
RenderStyle OptFuzzy
Alpha 0.5
}

actor NewLostSoul : LostSoul replaces LostSoul
{
+NOBLOOD
}

Thanks for the help! I need to find an official link for all these codes one day.

-Platinum Shell

Seeing that all of your Decorate is decorative, I'm giving u this:

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 21
Patch format = 6

Ammo 0 (Bullets)
Max ammo = 400
Per ammo = 20

It also doubles the amount of bullets u can carry.

Well, I found their information on the Z-DooM for the aforementioned items, but I think I need to do that line of code where it says something along the lines of "yadayada1 replaces yadayada"

Or am I just wrong, and can edit the code that's already given to me then stick it into a decorate entitled text file? I'll give it a shot.

I need to make a lump out of it? I thought since it's decorate, you can just edit it in a text file.

I just want to rip the code for bullets from Brutal DooM, so I can use that amount in vanilla gameplay.

What tempun gave you is DeHacked, not DECORATE. You can edit them both in a text file, and you can put both of them in your wad as text lumps, in more or less the same manner, but with different lump names.

edit:

Platinum Shell said:

Now, the most important question I have to ask is how you can fit that and this other decorate file into one.

Assuming that tempun's solution above does what you want, you could simply put both it and the DECORATE in your wad alongside each other and there should be no conflicts. Make a new lump in your wad and name it "DECORATE", and then edit it as text and paste your code into it; then make another lump called "DEHACKED", and paste tempun's code into it in the same way.

If you were to use DECORATE to change the bullet ammo stuff instead of DeHackEd, then you could either just paste your added code in after the existing DECORATE within the same lump, or you could make a seperate DECORATE lump for it, if you really wanted to.

Dehacked is different from decorate, but they do the same things. You can edit dehacked in a text file as well and import into your wad the same way you imported the decorate. But you have to keep decorate and dehacked separate.

edit: uh, yeah, what he said

I'm assuming to create the data lump for Tempun's code I need DeHackEd? Well, it's not compatible with the version of WinDerp I'm running.

Uh, how frustrating. I hate to ask this, but can someone make a lump file out of Tempun's code? I'd greatly, greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help.

You don't need the dehacked program; all you need here is a wad/lump editor. If you don't have any other preferences, I'd recommend using SLADE 3:

Open your wad in SLADE, click on the final lump at the bottom of the "Entries" panel and insert a new (blank) lump with the "Create a new empty entry" button on the toolbar. It should ask you for a lump name; name it "DEHACKED", and then click on that new lump in the entries list when it appears.

With the empty DEHACKED lump selected, there should be an "Edit as Text" button visible on the right; hit that, and then paste tempun's code in. Make sure to hit the "Save Changes" button to save that lump's contents, and then when you're finished, don't forget to save the wad itself before closing SLADE.

Make sure that the DEHACKED lump is either at the top or bottom of the entries list, as well, not between the map lumps; if that happens, it can stop the affected map from loading. You can use Ctrl+U or Ctrl+D to move selected entries up or down in the list, if needed.

Thanks Mithran, but when I tried to save the Wad changes or even a save as, it tells me IWAD saving is disabled. Since you probably know your way around this editor more than me, how can I enable this feature?

Thanks,
-PS

*EDIT*: It seems to be a feature listed in the .cfg file. Where would that be?

Dont save into the iwad. You can do your simple edit with just a text file. Can name it moreammo.deh, and have notepad open .deh files. Put that dehacked code into the text file. When you launch the game use: prboom.exe -deh moreammo.deh or zdoom.exe -deh moreammo.deh.

Using dehacked text directly in wad, it needs to be named DEHACKED as already posted. Make a pwad if you want with a DEHACKED lmp, but a textfile .deh works fine too.

Make that iwad read-only and stop trying to save into it.

I loaded morebullets.deh (which is a text file) onto Z-DooM, it does nothing. I'll save it into a separate DooM 2 IWAD for the Slade editing, could you point me to where I can configure it to allow IWAD saving?

Ah, I was under the mistaken impression that you wanted to use this for a mod that you're making, not for general play. In any case, saving into a duplicate IWAD still isn't really a good idea.

If you can't or don't want to run the bullet tweak as a seperate .deh file, then I recommend putting it in a seperate PWAD, and loading that along with whatever else you are playing. You can make a new pwad in SLADE 3 by opening the program up and hitting Ctrl+Shift+W, or by clicking the "Create a new Doom Wad Archive" toolbar button.

If you want the ammo tweak to be semi-permanent, you can also set it to autoload by editing ZDoom's .ini file.

Don't modify the game IWADs. This is what PWADs (patch wads) are for. You stick your changes in a PWAD, and upon loading the PWAD, lumps from the IWAD get temporarily "replaced" with lumps found in the PWAD. Sometimes you'll run across a special lump (like DEHACKED, DECORATE, MAPINFO, etc) that the engine will recognize and read information from, thus altering how the game behaves. That's what you need to be doing here, creating these lumps inside your PWAD, and loading that PWAD with your engine (ZDoom in this case).

Also, to load a DeHackEd patch (.deh or .bex) with ZDoom, you need to either drag-n-drop onto the ZDoom executable (or shortcut to it), or load the patch via the command line using the -deh parameter.

Quite frankly I do not understand why DEHACKED is pushed so much when the subject at hand is clearly something for ZDOOM.
In the context of ZDOOM, DEHACKED is very much deprecated, as DECORATE is the standard for ZDOOM or GZDOOM.

@ Platinum Shell
You had done the 'heavy lifting' in your first post. Simply take that code and copy it into a lump named DECORATE.

I have made two example pwads,
a pwad with the monsters ( zdtm.wad ) and
a pwad with just DECORATE ( decorate.wad ).
You can see the difference by either dragging one or both pwads onto the ZDOOM icon.
To inspect them use something like Slade3.

As for the ammo modification follow this page

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes

and modify the actors as you did with the monsters.

Kappes Buur said:

Quite frankly I do not understand why DEHACKED is pushed so much when the subject at hand is clearly something for ZDOOM.

I hinted at my reasons in my first post in this thread: I assumed that Platinum Shell is making a mod, and the Decorate is for a small decorative (non-gameplay) change, so Dehacked should be used for maximum port compatibility.

As much as I find dehacked to be an unwieldy relic from a bygone age when it comes to create modified monsters; the point remains that it's a lot simpler to change ammo capacity with it than with DECORATE.

If you want to change ammo capacity with DECORATE; you'll have to redefine the ammo entirely; which means also redefining the weapons that use that ammo, which means also -- if they are starting weapons like the pistol -- redefining the player class.

All that because ammo capacity in DECORATE is set from the parent class.

Seriously guys, thanks for all the help. Perhaps the best forum I've ever been on.

And I've got it all figured out; no, I was not making a mod when asking how to edit the bullet amounts (sorry for not clarifying), but I do believe I can get into modding, it's something that grabs my interest to a considerable extent. :)

I think I took a whack at mapping; it resulted in a product that consisted of bull-shitty sergeant positions and general un-fun. Weird, as I have dreamed some pretty sick maps (yes, I have dreamed whole maps, and I must say, they look fucking amazing. Luckily, the better one of the two is the one I can remember all the details of with no trouble! I distinctively remember it's name being "SLIME3" or something. It had a few short towers and other monuments on a square map with detailed textures and a beautiful skybox.), but sadly, I cannot put what is in my head in the editor. I still will keep trying, though.

Giving ideas form is the hardest part of creative endeavors :)

Familiarize yourself with your tools first, then eventually it comes naturally.