Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

Eureka: a Linux map editor

Pastebin the eureka.out file that strace generated so we can see it.

Show us permissions. In the Eureka folder, run "ls -alZ" and pastebin that too.

I don't know anything about Crunchbang, but are you using SELinux? You can check with "getenforce". If you're in enforcing mode, try turning it off with "setenforce 0" and try again.

However you manage software, make sure you have libpng, libjpg and libz installed. You'd have to have the X and C libraries installed already.

If you still have no luck after these I'll run up a VM and see if I can get it going.

Thanks for the help.

Says Eureka is -rwxr-xr-x

Running both "getenforce" and "selinuxenabled && echo enabled || echo disabled" gives me a command-not-found error so I assume I'm not running SELinux.

Compiled and installed zlib. Same as before.

And here's the .out file with my username replaced (I don't think having a number in the username would make a difference?):

23:54:54 execve("./Eureka", ["./Eureka"], ["ORBIT_SOCKETDIR=/tmp/orbit-usern"..., "SSH_AGENT_PID=1579", "TERM=xterm", "SHELL=/bin/bash", "XDG_SESSION_COOKIE=7b6462a4890ba"..., "WINDOWID=48234499", "GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyri"..., "GTK_MODULES=canberra-gtk-module", "USER=username", "LS_COLORS=rs=0:di=01;34:ln=01;36"..., "SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-nFcYXA154"..., "MAIL=/var/mail/username", "PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bi"..., "PWD=/home/username/downloads/eur"..., "LANG=en_CA.UTF-8", "GNOME_KEYRING_PID=1546", "SHLVL=1", "HOME=/home/username", "LANGUAGE=en_CA:en", "LOGNAME=username", "DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:ab"..., "LESSOPEN=| /usr/bin/lesspipe %s", "DISPLAY=:0.0", "LESSCLOSE=/usr/bin/lesspipe %s %"..., "COLORTERM=gnome-terminal", "XAUTHORITY=/home/username/.Xauth"..., "_=/usr/bin/strace"]) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
23:54:54 dup(2)                         = 3
23:54:54 fcntl(3, F_GETFL)              = 0x8002 (flags O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE)
23:54:54 fstat(3, {st_dev=makedev(0, 10), st_ino=3, st_mode=S_IFCHR|0620, st_nlink=1, st_uid=1000, st_gid=5, st_blksize=1024, st_blocks=0, st_rdev=makedev(136, 0), st_atime=2012/07/14-23:54:54, st_mtime=2012/07/14-23:54:54, st_ctime=2012/07/14-23:52:09}) = 0
23:54:54 mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x7f0801ab9000
23:54:54 lseek(3, 0, SEEK_CUR)          = -1 ESPIPE (Illegal seek)
23:54:54 write(3, "strace: exec: No such file or di"..., 40) = 40
23:54:54 close(3)                       = 0
23:54:54 munmap(0x7f0801ab9000, 4096)   = 0
23:54:54 exit_group(1)                  = ?

Just tried in out on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit in a VirtualBox. Running into exactly the same problem as .223. Interestingly, when running as root there's no error, but the editor doesn't start, either.

[edit] compiled it myself (had to change the Makefile to link with the FLTK libs in their normal directory, not lib_linux) and it works.

printz said:

andrewj, do you use a public version-control repository? I'm interested in looking live at the code :P It's okay if it's private, no need to send it to me in private :)

Who is Kromulent? :P

Also note that patches don't have to be namespaced into P_. It's just a user convention.

It is in a repository with lots of other misc projects, including a game I'm working on now (which blows the size up). Caveat downloader.

You can find the repository here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/awwports

'Cromulent' was a joke on the Simpsons (tv show).

I added code a few months ago to handle patches better.

P.S. Cheers everybody for helping .223
It's a shame that Linux does not support binaries which you can download and just run them -- I try to statically link stuff to make binaries which are fairly portable, however you can't statically link everything, and the 64 bit cpus throw another spanner in the works.

.223 said:

After scrolling through hundreds of vaguely similar-looking entries in Synaptic for each of those after libX* I think this is the point where my brain shuts off, I have to consciously stop myself from asking if there's just a Windows binary version of this that just plain runs, and see if I can run EdMap in DOSBox. EDIT: Squinting at a tiny screen in a very slow shell at a badly outdated program with very little functionality was a bit more prohibitively stressful than I thought.

I'd recommend DCK over EdMap, but if you really want to be hardcore, go with DEU 5.21. ;-) Btw, you can run dosbox in fullscreen mode (Alt-Enter to switch modes) and adjust CPU cycles so it runs faster.

Of course native software is better, and you should probably try to compile the Eureka just to make sure your CPU isn't barfing on the binary you downloaded. Also, if you want to try Yadex, there is a 64-bit patch out there, and a few other useful patches also...

I tried Eureka on the latest Puppy Linux (5.3.3) and it ran fine, but I have a regular 32-bit P4. It's looking pretty good, but I still prefer Yadex ATM, since a lot more stuff is keyboard-driven (I mainly just use the mouse to position/move stuff).

andrewj said:

It is in a repository with lots of other misc projects, including a game I'm working on now (which blows the size up). Caveat downloader.

You can find the repository here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/awwports

Thanks. I was thinking of basing my "Doom Creator" for OS X on your Eureka, but I'll work it from scratch now. I just looked through your code to learn the basics and best practices of editing a wad, so thanks for the inspiration :)

'Cromulent' was a joke on the Simpsons (tv show).

And I thought you were referring to a scientist :P

boris said:

Just tried in out on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit in a VirtualBox. Running into exactly the same problem as .223. Interestingly, when running as root there's no error, but the editor doesn't start, either.

[edit] compiled it myself (had to change the Makefile to link with the FLTK libs in their normal directory, not lib_linux) and it works.

How'd you compile it (and figure out where the FLTK libraries are)?

EDIT: Right, /usr/lib. So what should be in place of obj_linux?
EDIT2: Nevermind, that wasn't the problem, it's whatever sort of problem would spit out this:

make: *** [obj_linux/ui_canvas.o] Error 1

EDIT3 so I don't take up like half of all the replies on this thread: Tried boris's replacement below, same result.

Well, I just used apt to install those FLTK libs and changed

FLTK_LIBS=$(FLTK_DIR)/lib/libfltk_images.a \
          $(FLTK_DIR)/lib/libfltk.a \
          -lX11 -lXext -lpng -ljpeg
to
FLTK_LIBS=-lfltk_images \
          -lfltk \
          -lX11 -lXext -lpng -ljpeg

printz said:

Will Eureka have the Visplane Explorer built / plugged in?

Originally that was my plan, and the main reason for 'vpo_lib' (putting the doom stuff into a self-contained library).

But now that I wrote a separate program, I don't see much need for it to be in the editor too, plus having it in the editor is much more difficult since the user would expect that changing the geometry will change the results, and that is not possible unless it automatically rebuilds the nodes.

Sorry this took me a few days to get to.

Clean Crunchbang 10 install
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reboot
Download eureka and uncompress, I get the same error as you

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
Eureka now works fine

Eureka is a 32-bit binary (which you can confirm with file -s Eureka) but 64-bit Crunchbang does not come with the 32-bit Standard C Libraries installed.

Enjoy :)

.223: you probably have the 0.64 version.

There is a later version, 0.72 or 0.74, which is in a different thread I guess -- use the forum search function and you should find it.