Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

Ragnor said:

I also replaced Redemption Denied, The Marshes, and The Mansion's music with the three PSX Doom bonus tracks, naming them PSXMUS21-23

according to aubrey these tracks weren't assigned to any maps. so I didn't include them in the renaming process.
if you still wanna hear them in specific levels you also have to change the music info in zmapinfo.txt

Ragnor said:

Apparantly my TC from the first post is old, and still has the Vesparas typo, the broken Nessus secret, etc etc. Where can I get the most up to date version?

you can find the latest 2.1 candidate here.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1130499

it's just a map update though, you still need the full download from the first post of this thread.

Sp00kyFox said:

according to aubrey these tracks weren't assigned to any maps. so I didn't include them in the renaming process.
if you still wanna hear them in specific levels you also have to change the music info in zmapinfo.txt

you can find the latest 2.1 candidate here.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1130499

it's just a map update though, you still need the full download from the first post of this thread.

Yeah, I just decided to put his PSX Doom unused tracks to use. Total Lamentation is a good fit for the last level. The other two I thought would be good for the unique secret levels.

Is there an easy way to replace the bugged levels? I kind of got the hang of pk3 files (although I cant easily turn the zips back into pk3s on Win 7)

Ragnor said:

Is there an easy way to replace the bugged levels?

it's exactly the same way with all the other additional files. to (mis)quote blufirez88's post with his nightmare addon:

TO INSTALL:
You'll need to use a text editor (Notepad or Notepad++) to edit two files (PSXDOOM.BAT and PSXDOOM.CFG).

For the BAT file add with the group on the top:
ECHO PULLIN "mapupdate1.PK3">>PSXDOOM.CFG

Then for the CFG file add with the group on the top:
PULLIN "mapupdate1.PK3"

as long as it's loaded after PSXDoom2.0.pk3 it has priority.

btw I like to repeat the request by ragnor. with the possibilites of pc controls and high resolutions the game becomes way easier. I'd love to see an additional difficulty where the monsters regain their original speed from the pc version.
I'd do it myself but I don't have a clue about zdoom. so it would be nice if someone would help with zdoom experience. I guess it's not such big effort to implement.

Sp00kyFox said:

btw I like to repeat the request by ragnor. with the possibilites of pc controls and high resolutions the game becomes way easier. I'd love to see an additional difficulty where the monsters regain their original speed from the pc version.
I'd do it myself but I don't have a clue about zdoom. so it would be nice if someone would help with zdoom experience. I guess it's not such big effort to implement.

Go to Options, Advanced, Gameplay Options, Fast Monsters set to: YES

Its like playing Nightmare difficulty but without the annoying respawns.

Its very good to compensate the fact we now play in high res but also with mouse+keyboard instead of the joypad.

well this is of course a challenge, but has not really much to do with the original pc speed of the monsters.
I searched through the config and txt files of this tc and I think you have to modify the monsters.txt and explosives.txt (for the projectile speed).

but like I said, don't know much about zdoom. so it's unclear to me if and how you can make alternate versions of these files exclusively for a separate difficulty.
I think I can at least modify them (with a global effect on all difficulties) and upload my result. maybe another doomer can make something out of it.

GZDoom is recommended so that colored lighting does not cause color depth loss. (The renderer used in PSX Doom was not constrained by the palette either.) Other than this rather cosmetic thing, there are no incompatibilities with ZDoom.

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC 2.1 Release Candidate

This could be the possible next release. Please look things over and comment.

http://www.mediafire.com/?x56ix6159plkat2

Changes I made:
-Converted all maps to UDMF
-Enabled DM for reverb effects (untested)
-Added player 3 and 4 starts to maps
-Fixed reverb effects (correct effects used, boundaries added/changed) (Final Doom on PlayStation seemed to have reverb effects applied carelessly, so I took so liberties at changing placements from the PSX version)
-Converted all colored lighting to "lightcolor" property
-Fixed light fades (timings may not be exact)
-Cleaned up file organization, ACS code, text lumps
-Added E4M9 from PC as MAP60 (secret exit from MAP25, same as PC Doom)
-Intermission text timings and code clean up
-Moved status bar down 8 units
-Took missing area back out from Unholy Cathedral. The door that opens, disappears into the sky and it just doesn't look right.
-Updated PSXDOOM.BAT and README.TXT
-Misc bug fixes

I'm sure I missed some things here

EDIT:
I should also note that I changed the default "Ambient Light Level" to 1 because anything higher than 1 causes the light fades to not look right. If you need to brighten the game up, I recommend using the gamma controls.

Awesome stuff you guys. =)

Think you could make a version of PSXTCMUS.PK3 that works without the TC? I'd love to play through the original PC versions while using the the music from the PSX versions only.

And yes, I am aware that the Doom Depot already has a music WAD ready for that, but the songs are low quality.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Pixel_Crusher: Easiest way would be to make a wad with a MUSINFO lump:

Nope, that'd require placing music changer things in the maps, which isn't what one would presumably want.

It's much easier to create a MAPINFO lump instead.

Or heck, a DEHACKED lump to reroute the old lump names (such as D_RUNNIN for MAP01) into new lump names like PSXMUS01.

Is there a way to use IDMUS with the existing file? I edited my PSXTCMUS file with the official soundtrack release files and would prefer not to fool around in that file again

Ragnor said:

Is there a way to use IDMUS with the existing file? I edited my PSXTCMUS file with the official soundtrack release files and would prefer not to fool around in that file again

You can always use changemus with the lump name of the song, whatever it is.

idmus works with map slots, so if you have a MAPINFO that associates them to map slot (even if it's from MAP40 to MAP99) then you can use it as well.

fenderc01 said:

-Added E4M9 from PC as MAP60 (secret exit from MAP25, same as PC Doom)
-Moved status bar down 8 units
-Updated PSXDOOM.BAT and README.TXT

EDIT:
I should also note that I changed the default "Ambient Light Level" to 1 because anything higher than 1 causes the light fades to not look right. If you need to brighten the game up, I recommend using the gamma controls.

First off, I thought Fear was going to be a part of the Lost Levels project and that BaronofStuff was working on some kind of MAP60 project.

I do appreciate that the status bar has been fixed.

I still think we should have all addons for this project to date on the first post clear as day, not scattered across the thread. Also, where's my Nightmare! addon? Is it really so much not to include this as an optional function?

Is it really a good idea to make the lighting on par or worse than vanilla Doom 3? I already hated the PS1 version for being stupidly dark, if there's anything that the PC port can forgo it's the dark lighting.

fenderc01, that’s awesome work, and that’s version 2.1. Thanks man.

BlueFireZ88 the TC now checks for your Nightmare add-on. Iv listed it in the extras.

Let me know if you all want Nightmare mode included in TC rather than an add-on?

I would like the Nightmare mod and the addons Spooky Fox made in the full release, as extras.

I take it the inclusion of Fear is simply to fill the empty map 60 slot?

Ragnor thats Sp00ky’s pc weapon and monster balancing and OST to PSXTCMUS tool on the download post as well as BlueFireZ88’s Nightmare! addon

BlueFireZ88 said:

First off, I thought Fear was going to be a part of the Lost Levels project and that BaronofStuff was working on some kind of MAP60 project.[/B]

Ragnor said:
I take it the inclusion of Fear is simply to fill the empty map 60 slot?

I included Fear to fill in the missing MAP60 spot. It seemed like a good fit since it is a secret level to begin with and it is accessed in the same way as the PC version. If the general consensus is to remove it, I don't see a problem with that, but I really don't see the harm in leaving it either. If BaronofStuff has something in the works, we can always use that too.

BlueFireZ88 said:

I still think we should have all addons for this project to date on the first post clear as day, not scattered across the thread. Also, where's my Nightmare! addon? Is it really so much not to include this as an optional function?

ScottGray said:
Let me know if you all want Nightmare mode included in TC rather than an add-on?

I agree with having all of the download links on the first page. I think having Nightmare included would be a welcome addition. I don't think it would ruin the experience for people who choose not to use it.

BlueFireZ88 said:

Is it really a good idea to make the lighting on par or worse than vanilla Doom 3? I already hated the PS1 version for being stupidly dark, if there's anything that the PC port can forgo it's the dark lighting.

While I don't agree with PS1 Doom being too dark, I do agree that the TC can be too dark on certain monitors. So far, the only easy solution I know of is to turn off "fog mode" and increase the "gamma" and "brightness". Getting rid of the darkness completely would take away from the atmospheric aspect of the PlayStation version.

Options > Advanced > Display Options > OpenGL Options > Preferences > [B]Fog Mode
Options > Advanced > Display Options > Gamma Correction
Options > Advanced > Display Options > Brightness

I just pressed the gamma button once and it became playable. The game was designed for CRT tvs, not LCDs, which are always darker for me, so I always adjust the gamma to CRT level brightness.

Also, please dont forget the add-on that makes the monsters at PC speeds if the Nightmare mod gets in. It'd be nice if it was a selectable difficulty.

looks amazing, I say good job to all those who worked hard on this project as it is one of the best community projects i have ever seen!

I noticed that the entrance door in The Gauntlet, the one behind the player start, was misaligned so it appears like a black square, was this fixed for the new release candidates?