Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

um so I read the wiki but don't understand why I can't get this working. I use fedora 20 64bit with this command:

$ ./gzdoom -file PSXTCMUS.PK3 PSXDoom\ 2.133.zip

I then select the doom 2 wad to use, but when I get into gzdoom there's nothing other than plain doom 2. So I'm assuming I'm missing something.

Another thing is that ideally I would like to be able to use all the other mods that have been added, but that customizer tool is obviously only for Windows. What exactly is it doing and is there a way to replicate it in linux?

you need to unzip PSXDoom2.133.zip into the GZDoom directory. It contains PSXDOOM.PK3 and PSXDOOM.BAT, Use the bat file to start the game.

my customizer tool was written with MS Visual Studio 2010 in C++, it is a windows Form Application and I doubt if it can be compiled to run in linux OS's. You can manually add the mods by adding PULLIN "MODS\MODNAME.PK3" or PULLIN "MODS\MODNAME.WAD" to the PSXDOOM.CFG file that the PSXDOOM.BAT file creates. You must load PULLIN "MODS\PSXCUSTM.PK3" first, other MODS depend on it.
Some mods conflict with another's, so new mods were made that implement the mods that conflict, it gets complicated that's why I made the customizer tool, it sorts it all out for you. It would be easier running the Customizer in windows, picking your mod then copying the Customize.CFG file it generates over to your linux system. If you don't have assess to a Windows system pick the mods you want from the screen grab and ill post the Customize.CFG over to you. Title Screen and Merge Lost Levels with original episode aren't working yet.

um okay I guess I'm an idiot but I just decided to use the .cfg and it still won't load. I changed it to:

pullin psxdoom.pk3
pullin psxtcmus.pk3
am_colorset 1
am_showmonsters false
am_showsecrets false
am_showtime false
con_scaletext 1
dimamount 0.5
dimcolor 00 00 00
gl_enhanced_nightvision false
gl_light_ambient 1
gl_lightmode 0
gl_spriteclip 2
gl_texture_filter 1
gl_texture_filter_anisotropic 16
longsavemessages false
m_use_mouse 0
movebob 0.125
msg0color 11
msg1color 11
msg2color 11
msg3color 11
msg4color 11
msgmidcolor 11
secretmessage
show_obituaries false
wi_showtotaltime false
wipetype 0

so I start with
./gzdoom -exec psxdoom.cfg -iwad doom2.wad

but just get regular doom 2. It creates a new psxdoom.cfg instead of using the one already there. I have all files in the working directory.

This should be at the bottom of your PSXDOOM.BAT

START GZDOOM.EXE +EXEC PSXDOOM.CFG +EXEC Customize.CFG -CONFIG PSXDOOM.INI -IWAD DOOM2.WAD

Contents of PSXDOOM.CFG should be

PULLIN "PSXDOOM.PK3"
PULLIN "PSXLOST.PK3"
PULLIN "PSXTCMUS.PK3"
AM_COLORSET "1"
AM_SHOWMONSTERS "FALSE"
AM_SHOWSECRETS "FALSE"
AM_SHOWTIME "FALSE"
CON_SCALETEXT "1"
DIMAMOUNT "0.5"
DIMCOLOR "00 00 00"
GL_ENHANCED_NIGHTVISION "FALSE"
GL_LIGHT_AMBIENT "1"
GL_LIGHTMODE "0"
GL_SPRITECLIP "2"
GL_TEXTURE_FILTER "1"
GL_TEXTURE_FILTER_ANISOTROPIC "16"
LONGSAVEMESSAGES "FALSE"
M_USE_MOUSE "0"
MOVEBOB "0.125"
MSG0COLOR "11"
MSG1COLOR "11"
MSG2COLOR "11"
MSG3COLOR "11"
MSG4COLOR "11"
MSGMIDCOLOR "11"
SECRETMESSAGE ""
SHOW_OBITUARIES "FALSE"
VID_VSYNC "TRUE"
WI_SHOWTOTALTIME "FALSE"
WIPETYPE "0"

Sorry I never realises fedora cant run bat files
just try ./gzdoom -exec psxdoom.cfg don't bother with IWAD doom2. GZdoom should automatically find it

You could also try highlighting psxdoom.pk3 psxtcmus.pk3 and draging them to the gzdoom.exe, I don't know if that works in Linux.

Found a guy talking about shell script http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10436&start=570

does this make any sense?
./gzdoom +EXEC PSXDOOM.CFG -config ./ PSXDOOM.ini -savedir . $*

got this from brutal doom moddb http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/features/brutal-doom-faq-and-troubleshooting

If you are a Mac or Linux user, put Brutal Doom in the skins folder (create a folder named Skins at your sourceport's directory if a folder called Skins doesn't exists).

There's also another way to make it work without needing to drag and drop files (in case you are a Linux/Mac user and can't do it). Search your sourceport folder for a file called GZdoom.ini or Zandronum.ini. Open it with notepad, and look for a section named [Doom.AutoExec]. Under it, put the name of a wad/pk3 after "Patch=".It will look like something like this:
[Doom.AutoExec]Patch=brutal_v017.pk3
By this way, you can load custom map packs too. The load order is determined by the file position. Top files are loaded first, and bottom files are loaded after, and will overwrite anything with the same value in the first files.

That was probably no help.
What about this?
http://wiki.winehq.org/PlayOnLinux

Dragonsbrethren brought this to my attention
a GUI launcher for Doom engines
https://code.google.com/p/enyo-doom/

what's supposed to be in the psxdoom.ini that isn't in psxdoom.cfg?

And I added this to my zdoom.ini but it didn't help:
[Doom2.Autoload]
PSXDOOM.PK3
PSXTCMUS.PK3

I noticed that the entries disappeared after I exited so for some reason it seems to be overwriting my config file. I really don't understand what it's trying to do but thanks for the help.

xenphor Try this, rename the psxdoom.cfg to autoexec.cfg and run GZdoom.exe normally, without any of this -exec psxdoom.cfg -iwad doom2.wad

hm didn't change anything. honestly at this point i think all I really want would be the dark colors/lighting of the psx version. I have been able to load smaller wads with the regular iwads so maybe i could just do that if there's something that could to that.

xenphor you said you managed to load wad files.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2ajt90b4097akqe/PSXSTART.WAD
This is a wad file with a gameinfo lump that tells gzdoom to load the all psxdoom.pk3's. place it in your directory with the pk3s and try to get gzdoom to load only the PSXSTART.WAD. what version of gzdoom you running? I cant get it to work with gzdoom1.8.4 but it works with the latest dev build.
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gzdoom-G1.9pre-459-g3e318e4.7z

Good Stuff, am glad that worked. Ok if want to pick mods ill knock you up another start wad.

I recommend Changing stats bars, Changing SSG, Wide Screen bars, nightmare Difficulty and if the PC weapon key layout is burned into your DNA then that one too.

I don't recommend the psx weapon sprites

If you want to give it a try manually here is an attempted description of how to go about it (It's terrible), and you need a wad editor like the amazing Slade3

Managed to get the TC working with the latest dev build of GZDoom if anyone's interested it testing it out.
gzdoom-G1.9pre-459-g3e318e4
PSXDoom_2.134Beta
Included is the customizer which operates slightly different and some of the mods had to be altered to take advantage of the new Subtract blending render style for the nightmare spectres. I never included the rest of the mods since they are just the same as Customizer v0.9.3, so watch when you copy them over in case you overwrite the new ones.

Gez said:

You can advantageously replace the pullin command with a GAMEINFO lump's LOAD directive.

everything is loaded from a Gameinfo lump instead of the pullin command. the Customizer writes a new Gameinfo lump every time the mods are changed and insert it into the PSXLOAD.PK3
None of this works with the current GZdoom 1.8.4 its only for the G1.9pre dev build.

I'm playing this mod, but there's a BIG problem I'm encountering.

In my current playthrough, I entered Perfect Hatred with only 4% health. Immediately upon entering that level, I die, because you're surrounded by monsters at the start. But when the level begins again, I'm back at 4%... so you can see my problem. I'm caught in an infinite loop of death.

How can I escape this (possibly without cheating)??

By playing better :D

Ive started the level at 2 health on the harder PC version and went on to finish it, difficult, but doable

Ragnor said:

By playing better :D

Ive started the level at 2 health on the harder PC version and went on to finish it, difficult, but doable

The main immediate difference being no Demon to your left on the PC version. You can simply wait for the Imps to kill the Shotgun Guys and grab the health; not really an option on PSX because said Demon will usually activate after a few tics and almost force you to open fire before long, and before the Imps can even do anything.

You can always try moving straight back as soon as the map starts though, and hopefully avoid alerting the Demon. This often works (thought not always), and then you can hide behind said Demon and use it as a shield of sorts for a short while.

I actually solved the problem by loading an autosave from partway through Hell Beneath, and doing a better job of completing that level (so I entered Perfect Hatred with about 60%).

I've managed to get all the way to The Marshes - which does make me wonder, why the hell is the level pitch-black? The actual PSX version wasn't... more 'Doom II city levels' style lighting.

So I suppose I'll be fighting ol' Cybey in the dark tonight. :-P (I already got the light amp, that's long gone.)

(But the question still stands - shouldn't I be restarting the level at 100% with just a pistol? Isn't that what the game usually does?)

Thanks a ton, Baron! I had no idea about that.

Whether or not I do - or just fight Cybey in the dark - depends on how much work angers me today, I guess. :-P

Well, needless to say, I made it through The Marshes... my save game right now is at Wormhole.

I actually have to commend the creators of this MOD for stitching PSX Doom and Final Doom together. If this isn't 'the ultimate Doom experience' - 89 continuous levels - I dunno what the hell is, then.

TheLazenby said:

I actually solved the problem by loading an autosave from partway through Hell Beneath, and doing a better job of completing that level (so I entered Perfect Hatred with about 60%).

I've managed to get all the way to The Marshes - which does make me wonder, why the hell is the level pitch-black? The actual PSX version wasn't... more 'Doom II city levels' style lighting.

So I suppose I'll be fighting ol' Cybey in the dark tonight. :-P (I already got the light amp, that's long gone.)

Marshes at default lighting is dark, but seeable. There are switches to brighten it, and to darken it even further

Hello, Ive downloaded PCDFCLT, PSXFDHUD, PSXLOGO, PSXNMARE, PSXSOUND, PSXSSG, PSXTCMUS, AND PSXDOOM. When I open all of these files in gzdoom it comes up saying: "Script error, PSXDOOM.PK3:actors/monsters.txt line 11: Invalid state parameter a _checkflag" Which means nothing opens. I can load up all the other files without loading PSXDOOM and I get the logo, sounds and everything else, apart from the music. The original Doom music plays and it doesn't play the PSX music (PSXCMUS). An error doesn't even come up though which doesn't make sense. (to me that is) anyway I was wondering if anyone could fix my problem, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

SwarmOfOrphans said:

Hello, Ive downloaded PCDFCLT, PSXFDHUD, PSXLOGO, PSXNMARE, PSXSOUND, PSXSSG, PSXTCMUS, AND PSXDOOM. When I open all of these files in gzdoom it comes up saying: "Script error, PSXDOOM.PK3:actors/monsters.txt line 11: Invalid state parameter a _checkflag" Which means nothing opens. I can load up all the other files without loading PSXDOOM and I get the logo, sounds and everything else, apart from the music. The original Doom music plays and it doesn't play the PSX music (PSXCMUS). An error doesn't even come up though which doesn't make sense. (to me that is) anyway I was wondering if anyone could fix my problem, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Update GZDoom.

I just downloaded the customizer cause I didn't know about it til today. Now playing with accurate weapon sprites and stuff I do love this TC. it's downright perfect.