Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

I found a couple off-color sectors that seem to have slipped under the radar.

First is in Level 43: The Inmost Dens. This corner here is colored differently when it should be the same blue color as the surrounding blue colored sectors.

Second is in Level 65: Catwalk. This should have been easy to bring up before but nobody bothered to.

These sectors aren't supposed to be blue tinted. The original PSX map had these normal white and the pedestal where the red key be HEX FF7F7F (255,127,127 RGB) and 163 sector brightness.

There's probably more of these that are buzzing around in the TC unnoticed. A true TC needs to have everything feel exactly like the original.

good eyes impboy4, that's the maps fixed.
this is probably going to be v2.135, https://www.mediafire.com/?rfdsg7djzgjvc91
it has a modified customizer tool in there as well as a prototype launcher, it's looking a bit spartan just now but I will add links to the forms and download spots as well as the ability to add your own wads and pk3 without having to edit the psxload.pk3 every time you use the customizer. you can use the bat file from v2.134 to run it if you have trouble with the launcher.

Mattfrie1 the latest version is 2.134 its been there since early 2014 however am almost there with v2.135, you could copy my main download post onto the first post or wait for 2.135. your call man.

JohnnyTheWolf iv not had a good look at Smooth PSX DooM but I'll get round to it, maybe make it compatible with the customisation tool, it's an amazing mod.

ScottGray said:

good eyes impboy4, that's the maps fixed.
this is probably going to be v2.135, https://www.mediafire.com/?rfdsg7djzgjvc91
it has a modified customizer tool in there as well as a prototype launcher, it's looking a bit spartan just now but I will add links to the forms and download spots as well as the ability to add your own wads and pk3 without having to edit the psxload.pk3 every time you use the customizer. you can use the bat file from v2.134 to run it if you have trouble with the launcher.

Mattfrie1 the latest version is 2.134 its been there since early 2014 however am almost there with v2.135, you could copy my main download post onto the first post or wait for 2.135. your call man.

JohnnyTheWolf iv not had a good look at Smooth PSX DooM but I'll get round to it, maybe make it compatible with the customisation tool, it's an amazing mod.

This Is a very great version of the mod, I love It. But I did start It with the settings set to original title screen In the customization and the Lost Levels screen came up Instead of the original DOOM screen with the flames In front of It Instead of behind, I wanna know If It's Intentional or not.

For whatever reason, the author of Smooth PSXDooM cannot post here, so he asked me to convey the following message:

I don't know what's going on but the nightmare spectre or spectre don't appear in version 2.135 of PSX Doom TC when I use Smooth-PSX-Doom but they do I when I use version 2.133. So what's changed in PSX Doom's PK3 file. If I want Smooth-PSX-Doom to be compatible with PSX Doom TC. I need to know why this is happening with version 2.135

Unless things have changed since, wasn't the massive drop part in Deepest Reaches completely eliminated in the PSX port? If so, I think the drop is still there in the TC.

I can't seem to get it to run on all ZDoom ports due to a script error in ZMAPINFO on line 71.

Salahmander2 said:

Unless things have changed since, wasn't the massive drop part in Deepest Reaches completely eliminated in the PSX port? If so, I think the drop is still there in the TC.

It's still removed. Are you sure you're not playing the PC version and mistook it for the PSX one?

Impboy4 said:

It's still removed. Are you sure you're not playing the PC version and mistook it for the PSX one?

Just had a look, it's not there, I swear I had seen it before though on the PSX version. Ah well. In any case, it's all good.

Hey there I am the guy that made Smooth Doom compatible with the PSX Doom TC (Smooth-PSX-Doom) but now I have a problem. You see I don't know what's going on but the Nightmare Spectre or Spectre don't appear in version 2.135 of PSX Doom TC when I use Smooth-PSX-Doom but they do when I use version 2.133. So what's changed in PSX Doom's PK3 file. If I want Smooth-PSX-Doom to be compatible with PSX Doom TC. I need to know why this is happening with version 2.135

Just found another colored sector error:

MAP77: Crater

This part of the hallway (including ledge) should be tinted the same green color as the rest of the hallway.

sdk2k9 Hi there, It's something I've done for the sake of authenticity but I had a feeling it was a bad move a few days after releasing v2.134 Ill sort it out and up load a new PSXDOOM.pk3.

Impboy4 ZMAPINFO line 71 is the automap definition, it's only used to define player and wall colour in the automap, just delete it. The zdoom wiki says something about "development version 8f45e90 only". http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO
Ill sort Map77 out, thanks man.

Salahmander2 that's pretty weird about the Deepest Reaches, its happened to me before with stuff I'm sure was sorted and to shows up again.

ScottGray said:

Impboy4 ZMAPINFO line 71 is the automap definition, it's only used to define player and wall colour in the automap, just delete it.

I tried that but it still kicks me out with the error.

Blue Shadow said:

Why not update your GZDoom?

Because I use an old XP computer to play Doom on which has no support for new cards today.

Call me selfish but I like having a retro computer to play a retro game.

sdk2k9, I've got no idea how to make the spectres compatible in there current state (type 3002 with UDMF thing properties set to represent each type) so here is the psxdoom.pk3 with traditional spectres and nightmare spectres. added the spectre at the end of the focus as type 3010 and the cacospectre in the tenements as type 3011.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a3ihcoy3kvre9jd/PSXDOOM.PK3

Also added them to your smooth doom monster defs in the deco folder. changed the spectre render style to Add instead of OptFuzzy and alpha to 0.25 so the look like psx spectres. Commented out the nightmare spectre alpha as it shouldn't have an alpha value. blanked out arch-vile in the GLDEFS to stop one of the errors flung up as its loading. hope this helps.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tymiiynybuvlx5b/PSXSmooth_addons.zip

ScottGray said:

sdk2k9, I've got no idea how to make the spectres compatible in there current state (type 3002 with UDMF thing properties set to represent each type) so here is the psxdoom.pk3 with traditional spectres and nightmare spectres. added the spectre at the end of the focus as type 3010 and the cacospectre in the tenements as type 3011.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a3ihcoy3kvre9jd/PSXDOOM.PK3

Also added them to your smooth doom monster defs in the deco folder. changed the spectre render style to Add instead of OptFuzzy and alpha to 0.25 so the look like psx spectres. Commented out the nightmare spectre alpha as it shouldn't have an alpha value. blanked out arch-vile in the GLDEFS to stop one of the errors flung up as its loading. hope this helps.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tymiiynybuvlx5b/PSXSmooth_addons.zip

Thanks. So there's no way that Smooth-PSX-Doom will be compatible with later version of the PSX Doom TC? Also is there a way to turn the colored lighting off? Want to see what PSX Doom looks like without it.

sdk2k9 said:

Thanks. So there's no way that Smooth-PSX-Doom will be compatible with later version of the PSX Doom TC? Also is there a way to turn the colored lighting off? Want to see what PSX Doom looks like without it.

PSX DOOM would probably look like Jaguar DOOM, so I don't see the point of turning the colored lighting off.

Impboy4 said:

Because I use an old XP computer to play Doom on which has no support for new cards today.

What binary did you try? You should go for the 1.8.10 one, in your case.

sdk2k9 said:

Why can't Smooth Doom work like PSX TC? Is there a reason spawn properties aren't transferred?

sdk2k9 said:

Thanks. So there's no Smooth-PSX-Doom will be compatible with later version of the PSX Doom TC?

We can use the the files on my previous post to make it compatible. The psxdoom.pk3 will not effect the in game experience in anyway. We can look into what's happen to the spawn propertes but if we can't work it out it's no big deal we just stick to the files above for the next version. has this suff been copyed from brutal doom?

ScottGray said:

We can use the the files on my previous post to make it compatible. The psxdoom.pk3 will not effect the in game experience in anyway. We can look into what's happen to the spawn propertes but if we can't work it out it's no big deal we just stick to the files above for the next version. has this suff been copyed from brutal doom?

No.

was checking out the latest 2.135 beta in order to check out the release of the lost levels. Using the customizer, it lets me select pc weapon sprites. But not monster sprites. Is there any way to play with the original monster sprites too?

Also, even though I select Original for the main screen, it still uses the lost levels main screen. I followed the directions in the post earlier on this page, but it did not seem to work.

Have you considered adding this: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/71133-sound-caulking-now-on-idgames/ To the costomizer as well? How would I go about playing with it?

And didn't there used to be sound reverb and pitching?

Also, will this stay compatible with gzdoom 1.8.6? Unfortunately I'm stuck with an old xp win32 laptop for the foreseable long run and 1.8.6 is the absolute most recent version I can get to run on it.

Some mods were integrated into the 2.135beta. Monster Sprites, changing HUD and SSG, and wide screen HUD bars. If you want PC sprite delete everything in the sprites folder except BLCHA0.PNG. I can go back to original monster sprites and leave the PSX sprite as optional for its final release

Lost levels forces it own title screen and has its own titlemap for now, to get round it place the contents of this in the mod folder,
http://www.mediafire.com/download/drrxohx5ik104de/mods.zip
then open up psxlost.pk3 and delete the titlemap.wad from the map folder. Then reselect the title screen you want with the customizer. It also adds the sound mod you pointed out.

As for the reverbs as far as I can tell there still there. I don't know about pitching though.

I don't know of any need to move on from gzdoom 1.8.6. Hopefully this will be one of the last versions of the main TC so I think your good, Blue Shadow mentioned above gzdoom 1.8.10 should be ok for older xp machines .

found another off-color sector in Limbo with the lift that reveals a baron colored blue when it shouldn't be colored at all.

ScottGray said:

Some mods were integrated into the 2.135beta. Monster Sprites, changing HUD and SSG, and wide screen HUD bars. If you want PC sprite delete everything in the sprites folder except BLCHA0.PNG. I can go back to original monster sprites and leave the PSX sprite as optional for its final release

Lost levels forces it own title screen and has its own titlemap for now, to get round it place the contents of this in the mod folder,
http://www.mediafire.com/download/drrxohx5ik104de/mods.zip
then open up psxlost.pk3 and delete the titlemap.wad from the map folder. Then reselect the title screen you want with the customizer. It also adds the sound mod you pointed out.

As for the reverbs as far as I can tell there still there. I don't know about pitching though.

I don't know of any need to move on from gzdoom 1.8.6. Hopefully this will be one of the last versions of the main TC so I think your good, Blue Shadow mentioned above gzdoom 1.8.10 should be ok for older xp machines .

Thanks Scott. Got it working right now.

Unfortunately, the gzdoom 1.8.10 won't work for me either unfortunately. :( It still requires an updated gl.

p.s. this would look pretty sweet as a bonus fullscreen hud done with the psx hud fonts and background.

Brewtal that's a cool idea for a fullscreen hud. Have you already done that in game or is it photoshop?

Impboy. Thanks man ill sort that lighting out.

ScottGray said:

Brewtal that's a cool idea for a fullscreen hud. Have you already done that in game or is it photoshop?

Impboy. Thanks man ill sort that lighting out.

I didn't make that hud. Brad Harding over in the doom retro thread made it as a mock up.

Though I am currently fumbling my way around zdoom code to see if I can actually figure out how to make a full screen hud like that.

Sort of related to my lost levels post. Any way to remove the secret exit from Perfect Hatred? As soon as I see that switch it breaks the immersion. I think authenticity should take precedent over compatibility with another wad.