Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

One more question
Isnt' bulletpuff' smoke supposed to go slightly upwards? It still appears exactly where the first "yellow" sprite was.+

Glad to see weapon offsets included. Please, don't remove them like in latest psx doom tc

Thanks Mattfrie, I must say we got a good team going here, Dragonsbrethren, scalliano and francis247uk put in a lot of work in.

Dragonsbrethren's TC updates polished off the original TC beautifully and If it wasn't for fenderc01's textures and Omnipotus fpsxmapconv tool, the hole thing simply wouldn't be possible, because I still can't workout that PSXDOOM.WAD from the FINAL doom PlayStation disc, as far as I got was de-comprising it with PSXMAKE so if anyone knows how to get access it please let me know.

lafoxxx good work man. I put your music in the PSXTCMUS.PK3

One more thing so far:
Muzzleflash sprites must be affected by sector color/brightness
look:

Can't be done. The way GZDoom handles fullbright images means that it cannot be fixed mod-side. A workaround could be to remove the "Bright" from the flash states, but under low-level regular light that would look like crap too.

scalliano said:

Can't be done. The way GZDoom handles fullbright images means that it cannot be fixed mod-side. A workaround could be to remove the "Bright" from the flash states, but under low-level regular light that would look like crap too.

its true, as long as fullbright attribute IS active
realm667's machinegun has given me some experience of how fullbright while fire bullets can be inactive, its damn ugly indeed, would be worse if brightness is full and custom sector color is active.

I tried removing "Bright" from chaingun settings in actors/weapons, looked similar:
upper - psx; lower - the tc

This may sound stupid, but I always liked firing plasmagun under yellow sky, so its muzzleflash looked yellowish, more "electric".

btw, m_pause (and "loading") should be replaced too!

sector "pulse" effect must be slower. psx tc has all "pulsating" sectors having correct duration.

couple of levels has incorrect music.
should be:
map16 psxmus06
map22 psxmus14
map30 finmus10

have you finished coloring sectors? because i've seen at least one uncolored one on map14 (blue key room)

I will get round to checking the color lighting properly.
There’s no way it was going to be perfect on the first pass, Considering there is almost 7000 sectors in the final doom maps in total, I think you can expect to find more that need corrected.
It would have taken too long to color each sector one at a time, so I assigned them there colors in batches of sectors which had the same color using doom builder, it was easy to miss some.
Unfortunately it was a manual process entering the tag index which gave the sector its color. If the sector already had a tag I used ACS to manually assigned a color to that tag, however if there are different sectors with the same tag but are different colors, your beaten using the hexen format, the maps would half to be converted to UDMF but that causes more problems, like death match weapons showing up in single player. So there is a few sectors that are not going to have the right colors.

It might just be me but I have noticed that the Plutonia textures don't appear psx-ized like the rest of the textures.

They are correct. The recycled textures from Jag Doom were never sharpened either.

What I mean is that not all of the textures were sharpened up for the original PSX port, such as those it inherited from Jag Doom. All of the textures in the TC are correct.

I'm thinking I would like to help out with correcting the coloured lighting, I can find the time to learn how to work with acs scripts.

ScottGray, you probably forgot about so called "texture offset", so your M_PAUSE has same coordinates with original M_PAUSE (from unmodified DOOMs)

A beta already? Impressive. Can't wait to see the result. Where can I get hold of a proper PSX Sounds wad? The one I've got has crap replacements for some of the PSX sounds.

MajorRawne, get PSound on Zophar.net, mount an ISO, scan psxdoom/music/doomsfx.lcd and all lcds in sndmap* folders
make sure to set sample rate to 11025 before "converting" (right clik on file in list). then rename files manually) and load'em into wad.

or get my wad here http://www.mediafire.com/?563wokw1is4st32
(stolen proper sounds from psx tc)

hmm.. i don't remember this sector being blue

btw, this sector should be blue:

i think that some final, 100% working 'colorizing script' must be used before releasing the final version

Am working on it but its going to take time.

And it can't be 100% accurate using hexen format maps.

ACS assigns color lighting using sector tags,[ e.g Sector_SetColor (tag,R,G,B);] therefore sectors with the same tag have the same color.

But the PSX maps have sectors with the same tag but different color lighting, There is no way round it using ACS unless we change to UDMF maps, which doom builder does'nt seem to like very much.

I recall last time that someone mentioned about using the acs scripts from the first tc psx doom for this psx final doom tc, I found this confusing because I figured that the sector coloured light settings setup for psx doom wouldn't have been set up the same way as psx final doom.

They mean the lighting.acs script in the ACS folder.

The rgb values provided by Omnipotus, that are used with his map.rom too map.wad conversion tool match the values of the lighting.acs, so it can be used for the final doom maps also.

You can have 256 different colors, (0-255, 0 is no color.)
this script gives sectors taged with 1001 - 1255 color lighting using the Sector_SetColor function.

so color 1 is given Tag 1001 and has Red 216, Green 222, Blue 231
Sector_SetColor (1001,216,222,231);
color 255 is given Tag 1255 and has Red 201, Green 4, Blue 4
Sector_SetColor (1255,201,4,4);

Iv fixed the color in maps 14 and 25
that's maps 74 and 85 of the main TC

along with some other miner stuff on the early maps no one seemed to notice

the downloads have been updated

Lol, why should door light sector and some torch on the opposite end of map have the same tag?
When the text appears after finishing the episode, i think that music shouldn't remain "D_INTER" but must switch to some "end" music (FINALE2.RAW on psx final doom cd)

lafoxxx said:

Lol, why should door light sector and some torch on the opposite end of map have the same tag?

Because it's the most practical way of automating the lighting conversion.

lafoxx, Do you have a way of improving it for us?

The music at the text screen does not remain the same as the intermission music, it switches to the FINALEND track when it displays the text

sorry, i'm probably still using wrong psxtcmus/psxfinaldoom pk3.
btw, i may record remaining tracks, if needed (psxdoom's ones seemed correct for me, but it's better to keep same quality)
also i could re-rip the sounds from psx cd itself
but i dont think it's what is really needed
about the acs converter - i dunno, it worked not too bad to 100% improve it, at least only few mistakes had been notced (they can be corrected manually)
or u can just run emu&mod and compare bur it'll be kinda long

ScottGray said:

unless we change to UDMF maps, which doom builder does'nt seem to like very much.

Doom Builder 2 likes UDMF very much, on the other hand.

Also, in UDMF, you can set light and fog color directly in the sector properties, so ACS and tagging is unneeded.