Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

francis247uk said:

Thanks fenderc01 that has helped a bit, out of interest do you have a screen capture of the control settings you use in-game? Many Thanks

Thanks fenderc01, however even after changing to POV,joysticks in Motioninjoy, and setting the button configuration I'm still able to amend the Axis Configuration in Control Pad>Configure Controllers. What are your settings here? Thanks in advance.

On a separate note I am trying to play this game on an HDTV, however whenever I put it in fullscreen mode, no matter what the resolution is; high or low, it always appears off centre.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2271/61915139.jpg

It plays fine in the windowed mode so long as the resolution is smaller then the desktop resolution of 1920 x 1080, but I would really like to play it in fullscreen at that resolution.

I am using GZDoom 1.6 and do not have any problems with other games, it's also a relatively new graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series)
Again I'm hoping it's some sort of video setting I'm missing somewhere?

francis247uk said:

I don't use the analog sticks. I set all the axis to "NONE". As for the screen being off centered, I'm not sure about that.

Mattfrie1 said:

Feel free to PM me a link to DL it.

I would love to see if I could find a way to convert the levels directly to PC, as just altering the PC levels still doesn't seem to be the best option. I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could look into this option, as I have tried messing around with PSXMAKE but to no avail. If all else fails, then altering the PC levels will be the only way I guess.

Yup, considering both PSX Doom and Doom 64 are already ported successfully to the PC.

DOOM 64 hasn't been ported to ZDOOM or GZDoom properly.... it would be nice if someone managed to port it properly and not do a half-assed port! (See ZDoom forums at DOOM64 Zandronum/Skulltag/ZDOOM attempt)

Please! Put the same magic you did into this into DOOM 64 for PC!

If you already haven't, check out the tutorial videos on the official Doombuilder website. They pretty much give you all the information that would be needed to work on this project, as it isn't as high maintenance as making a new map from scratch.

idSoftware981 said:

DOOM 64 hasn't been ported to ZDOOM or GZDoom properly.... it would be nice if someone managed to port it properly and not do a half-assed port! (See ZDoom forums at DOOM64 Zandronum/Skulltag/ZDOOM attempt)

Doom 64 requires a few features that GZDoom does not yet have (and might never get).

If you want a proper port, look at Doom64 EX.

Yeah, not everything needs to run in (G)ZDoom. When Kaiser gets DECORATE support added to Kex, I'll seriously consider porting this TC to that, actually. Maybe even take advantage of the enhanced lighting possibilities.

I'm in the process on fixing some bugs in the original 59 levels and converting them to UDMF.

I came across something on MAP03 (Toxin Refinery) in the room with the blue key. On the PC version, when you got the blue key, the light in the room dimmed. On the PSX version, this was left out. I noticed that the linedef action to dim the lights is actually there in the PSX version, but is not tied to a sector.

Do I fix this or leave it the way it is?

Dragonsbrethren said:

Yeah, not everything needs to run in (G)ZDoom. When Kaiser gets DECORATE support added to Kex, I'll seriously consider porting this TC to that, actually. Maybe even take advantage of the enhanced lighting possibilities.

Unless this means it's possible to fix the problem with weapon flash states in coloured sectors, I can't see any point to moving the project to another port. As for the enhanced lighting (assuming you mean independent floor/wall/ceiling values, etc.), that's not really the point of this TC. Aside from the minor bugfixes, we're trying to keep it playing/looking as close as possible to the original game.

fenderc01 said:

I'm in the process on fixing some bugs in the original 59 levels and converting them to UDMF.

I came across [a bug] on MAP03 (Toxin Refinery) in the room with the blue key....Do I fix this or leave it the way it is?

I'm inclined to say fix. If it's there but simply untagged, it's safe to assume that it's an oversight and that the effect was intended to happen.

You don't have to tell me what the point of the TC is; that's just something I'd do for my own enjoyment/preference. It'd be nice to have the original graphics in the Doom 64 engine.

"Nukage Processing" is spelled wrong in the TC. Also the door behind you in the start of MAP36 "THE CRUSHER" has incorrect vertical offset.

DUDEDAMAN321 said:

"Nukage Processing" is spelled wrong in the TC. Also the door behind you in the start of MAP36 "THE CRUSHER" has incorrect vertical offset.

There seem to be a few of these spelling mistakes, such as that and the two Anamolies
So although you may be aware of some of these here's the list

MAP NAME                 CORRECT SPELLING
Phobos Anamoly          Phobos Anomaly
Deimos Anamoly          Deimos Anomaly
Twilight Decends       Twilight Descends
Thresold of Pain      Threshold of Pain
Vesparas                  Vesperas
Human Barbeque          Human Barbecue
Nukeage Processing     Nukage Processing
Mostly such simple errors, and I think of all the words that weren't mispelt, such as Pandemonium, Tenements, Redemption..

Quick question: Is the TC download in the first post the absolute most current version now? I know theres been lots of changes, I'm asking because a friend of mine wants to try it (and possibly be converted to a Doomer!), and I'd prefer not to direct him to many different areas to get the current version.

Ragnor said:

Quick question: Is the TC download in the first post the absolute most current version now? I know theres been lots of changes, I'm asking because a friend of mine wants to try it (and possibly be converted to a Doomer!), and I'd prefer not to direct him to many different areas to get the current version.

Yes. It's the latest release and is always updated when necessary.

I havent played it since the original TC, and...I must say, my memories are even more warped now. I didnt realise it was so slow and clunky with the frameskips. I also cant see anything on my HDTV due to the darkness >_>

It'd be nice if Nightmare was reimplemented, only instead of being the usual, having it return the game to PC speeds. I love the Playstation version a lot, but it feels lifeless now with crawling Revenants and slow missiles, etc. I remember someone refusing to play this further due to those speeds, mow I see why. I wonder how my friend will react to it. Oh the joys of childhood memories, always being better than reality. Did Doom 64 have the same speed changes? I played 64EX earlier and it felt modern still.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Just tried to give this a whirl and I got this error:

Script error, "PSXDoom2.0.pk3:actors/monsters.txt" line 11:
Invalid state parameter a_checkflag

Make sure you're running a more recent build of GZDoom.

Yeah. I was just about to edit my message. Got the new version and it starts fine.

One thing though.

The hud seems to always show ammo at "0". for some reason. This happens with or without loading the final doom hud wad.

***EDIT***
Sorry. That one was because I accidentally loaded the pk smooth weapons wad with it. Btw, would it be possible to make this compatable with perkastans smooth weapons mod?

Also, the par times don't seem to be showing right.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Sorry. That one was because I accidentally loaded the pk smooth weapons wad with it. Btw, would it be possible to make this compatable with perkastans smooth weapons mod?

Also, the par times don't seem to be showing right.

No. This replaces all of the weapon actors to account for PSX Doom behavior differences. You'd have to make a custom version of smooth animations for it.

PSX Doom doesn't have par times.

Dragonsbrethren said:

No. This replaces all of the weapon actors to account for PSX Doom behavior differences. You'd have to make a custom version of smooth animations for it.

PSX Doom doesn't have par times.

How would one go about doing something like that? Renaming the actors in the smooth weapons wad to match the psx doom ones? Would the acs script need to be tweaked too?

Are the actors the sprites?

(sorry, don't know too much about editing. Have only dabbled.)

No ACS, just DECORATE. You could just rename the ones from the smooth animations, the weapons' firing rates wouldn't be authentic to the PSX version anymore, though.

Just tried running the TC with a fresh install of GZDoom 1.7.0 and it gives a fatal error either by exiting or changing settings. Something is certainly amiss here.

UPDATE: It might be the laptop I'm trying to run GZDoom on cause I'm having problems with the base source port.

BlueFireZ88 said:

Considering that this a PC port,wouldn't it make sense to add "Nightmare!" back in? It's wouldn't change the game much.

It's a TC of the PSX port that stays true to it; that includes the lack of the insane difficulty.

I don't see why it couldn't have nightmare. Players who wanted to stay more faithful, could just not play nightmare mode. After all, playing with mouse and keyboard aren't exactly console faithful, but the option to do so remains in the tc. Which is a good thing in my opinion.

I don't think it would be going overboard in adding Nightmare Difficulty.

Maybe as a separate optional wad file?

I see it as Playstation Doom +1. It already gotten bugfixes and better controls and resolution, and is getting a Lost Levels pack which clearly breaks PSX Doom limitations out of necessity. I mentioned above that Nightmare could simply be restoring monsters to the original speeds, that'd scale well with the PSX style I think.

I don't ever remember a nightmare difficulty in PSX Doom tbh. Looking really good though I like the way you've managed to get it too look like the PSX version. Not sure if it'll feel the same playing though but will definitely give it a shot soon. Now if only I had a controller that I could use and relive the good old days of PSX final Doom.

Springy said:

Now if only I had a controller that I could use and relive the good old days of PSX final Doom.

Logitech makes some good and affordable usb controllers. I use a logitech dual action gamepad to play Doom on gzdoom and many other games.

You can even look at retrousb and I'm pretty sure they have a usb converted psx controller. I know they have other older gaming console usb controller conversions too.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Logitech makes some good and affordable usb controllers. I use a logitech dual action gamepad to play Doom on gzdoom and many other games.

You can even look at retrousb and I'm pretty sure they have a usb converted psx controller. I know they have other older gaming console usb controller conversions too.

Cheers for the recommendation lad! Will look into it, it'll be great to play PSX Final Doom again and make it feel like the good old days of my childhood.

I went ahead and made a Nightmare! mod for the PSX TC.

It adds the Nightmare! difficulty back in, and has a custom graphic for it.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/MFjKl4wARx/psxnmare.pk3

TO INSTALL:
You'll need to use a text editor (Notepad or Notepad++) to edit two files (PSXDOOM.BAT and PSXDOOM.CFG).

For the BAT file add with the group on the top:
ECHO PULLIN "PSXNMARE.PK3">>PSXDOOM.CFG

Then for the CFG file add with the group on the top:
PULLIN "PSXNMARE.PK3"

I just load the wads through gzdoom. It should work the same with the psxnmare.pk3 right?

Does it make that much of a difference running it this way instead of using the batch file?