Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

sorry for the double post but regarding my question about the scale factor, are the levels the same size as the one in the pc-version or are they scaled as well? I'm looking at my pc difficulty mod right now and asking myself if the speed modification of the PSXDoomPlayer actor shouldn't be removed (it's down to 0.86). not that the player moves too fast in the end.

ok, here we go. I redid the pc difficulty mod. removed a lot of redundant code and rechecked everything. difference to the old version is that now the speed of the player movement aswell as the animations of items and decorations are now on par with the pc port. I renamed it therefore to PCSPEED.PK3 (which should replace PCDFCLTY.PK3).
this new version is in conflict though with the PCWEPKEY.PK3, since they both use ACTORS\MISC.TXT. I'd suggest to remove it since it doesn't match with the weapon numbers in the psx hud anyway.

here is the download:
https://anonfiles.com/file/248d072b4d5e527c20fa6a8ff8535089

Nuxius said:

This doesn't really fix the problem though, it just hides it somewhat. Those sectors are supposed to fade to black, so turning up the ambient level ruins this regardless.

I'm aware of this. But for people who are playing with their ambient light level increased, changing the script behavior would prevent the black flash from happening. Playing with increased ambient lighting may not be optimal and may disrupt the lighting of the maps, but some players are bound to use such settings, so I think it'd be better to modify the glow script to account for this. Besides, a brightness of 8 is virtually the same as a brightness of 0. I don't think anyone's going to notice that the sectors don't fade to the absolute blackest black possible. But they probably would notice the screen blinking for no obvious reason.

Sp00kyFox said:

I'd suggest to remove it since it doesn't match with the weapon numbers in the psx hud anyway.

Die in a fire sky :)

Do you really want people to undo over a decade (two decades in some people's case, I'm sure) of muscle memory over some dumb numbers? I'd change the bar before I'd even think of doing that. That add-on is why I started editing the TC in the first place, I thought it was incredibly annoying that the numbers had to match the bar, rather than their normal assignments. That option is staying, and I personally think the bar order should be the add on since I can't imagine anyone actually wanting that.

We'll solve this conflict somehow. I actually think we can get away with not redefining the keys in the main TC, instead defining them in the config file.

Megamur said:

I'm aware of this. But for people who are playing with their ambient light level increased, changing the script behavior would prevent the black flash from happening. Playing with increased ambient lighting may not be optimal and may disrupt the lighting of the maps, but some players are bound to use such settings, so I think it'd be better to modify the glow script to account for this. Besides, a brightness of 8 is virtually the same as a brightness of 0. I don't think anyone's going to notice that the sectors don't fade to the absolute blackest black possible. But they probably would notice the screen blinking for no obvious reason.

IIRC, this blink also happens in vanilla when played in GZDoom without the Doom lighting mode.

Edit: Bah, unless I'm missing something, the only way to get these add-ons working together is to roll back to using KEYCONF, which is depreciated. This sucks. If you want PC speeds, you're likely going to want PC weapon selections too.

Dragonsbrethren said:

IIRC, this blink also happens in vanilla when played in GZDoom without the Doom lighting mode.

Is that so? I admit to not playing GZDoom that much, so I'm not familiar with all of its quirks.

Well, nevermind about the script then. In lieu of that, I at least think we should suggest in the text file (for the first full release of Lost Levels) that players should use the Doom sector lighting mode, or turn the ambient light level all the way down for best results.

Sp00ky when I download PCSPEED.PK3, am getting an error saying the archive is corrupted.

Don’t worry about conflicts; they can be worked round by making multiple versions of it that the customizer tool can call on depending on what settings the player selects.

What I am worried about is the development versions of GZdoom not running the TC. Its sods law, the version we want with subtractive blending for the nightmare spectres is no doubt going to give us hassle like we aint ever seen before. Here’s hoping it will be ok when it released.
There’s a version 1.8.4 that seem to work fine http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6158

Dragonsbrethren said:

Die in a fire sky :)[...]
Edit: Bah, unless I'm missing something, the only way to get these add-ons working together is to roll back to using KEYCONF, which is depreciated. This sucks. If you want PC speeds, you're likely going to want PC weapon selections too.

alright alright, I made two variants of it. so if you want the standard pc weapon key binding one should use PCSPDKEY.PK3 instead of PCSPEED.pk3.

ScottGray said:

Sp00ky when I download PCSPEED.PK3, am getting an error saying the archive is corrupted.

probably due to the latest 7zip version I use. I reuploaded it together with the other variant as a zip. please try it again:

PSXDoom - PC Speed.zip

We do have GAMEINFO in both the main TC and Lost Levels, but only for loading the music and main TC in the case of the latter.

ScottGray's customizer tool is reliant on pullin ccmds in a separate cfg to allow you to pick which add-ons you want. I don't think there's any way to make that work with GAMEINFO.

I was kinda annoyed by my OST tool. It should automatically do the work but if your tracks happen to have other file names you're out of luck and you must rename them manually which makes the tool pointless. So I did a little batch magic and came up with a new version (based on the v3.3) which doesn't care for file names. Yeah, just throw your ost tracks into the corresponding folders, execute the batch file createPK3.bat and voila.

Here is the download:
psxdoom_ost-music_v3.4.zip

^
Just curious. Can that tool generate a music wad from any tracks then? That's what I inferred from the fact that track names don't matter. Can I just copy, say, a Bobby McFerrin album into the tracks folder and it'll generate a wad from it? If so, that would be super cool!

PS: Sending from a laptop with no music on it so I can't try for myself. :)

well the batch file now determines which track is which by just taking the order of the file names. so yeah, that will work. but you should prepare the file names (like with numbers at the start) so that you'll get the tracks that you want in the correct levels. just have a look at the batch file and you'll see which position gets mapped to what.

Those sure look tinier than in the actual games. I guess they must scale differently in GZDoom.

Thank you, though. It didn't feel fully PSX-authentic without those strange offsets. :)

It's odd, I can't say I ever noticed that the weapons were lower quality in the actual PSX version, outside of the SSG of course (and even there I never realized just how reduced in resolution it was). Obviously I know this is the case now from looking at the game's resources, but I still don't pick up on it when playing.

Well, PSX Doom ran at a somewhat lower resolution--256x240 compared to the 320x200 of PC Doom--so that might explain why the smaller weapons looked larger in PSX Doom.

Now what I wonder is what aspect ratio 256x240 is, and what's the most similar aspect ratio GZDoom can display at.

I never even noticed any oddities in the weapons (or that Final Doom had a seperate SSG or status bar)

I generally suck at noticing subtle changes unless I'm looking for them.

Megamur said:

Well, PSX Doom ran at a somewhat lower resolution--256x240 compared to the 320x200 of PC Doom--so that might explain why the smaller weapons looked larger in PSX Doom.

Now what I wonder is what aspect ratio 256x240 is, and what's the most similar aspect ratio GZDoom can display at.

5:4, but it was stretched to 4:3 on most TVs of its day, similar to 320x200 being 16:10 (8:5) stretched to 4:3 on old CRT monitors.

Customizer V0.9.3
Added MG_Man's changing SSG, Sp00kyFox's PCSpeed and BaronOfStuff'S PSX sprites to the customizer with all conflicts sorted out. If anyone finds something wrong let me know.

Also added a "mods currently active button", which switches all the options to show you which mods are currently being using by the TC.
same as V0.9.2 except this

ScottGray said:

Customizer V0.9.3
Added MG_Man's changing SSG, Sp00kyFox's PCSpeed and BaronOfStuff'S PSX sprites to the customizer with all conflicts sorted out. If anyone finds something wrong let me know.

Also added a "mods currently active button", which switches all the options to show you which mods are currently being using by the TC.
same as V0.9.2 except this

Yes, the Williams logo and PSX startup sequences don't seem to work. I think i have everything updated.

Cicciolo try deleting your current Customize.CFG and PSXDOOM.CFG, run the customizer again and select your mods, make sure your using the PSXDOOM.BAT that came with version 1.133 of the TC or it wont check for the Customize.CFG.

Already tried, nothing changes. It literally recognize all the mods but theso two. And i DO have them in the MODS folder. Like i said, everything is updated.

If you have the lost levels open up the psxlost.pk3 and check the maps folder for a title map. If its in there delete it. They mods simple activate the code to play the intro sequences in the titlemap of the main tc. If its over written by another tilemap they wont work.

Where do the IDWALL and FENCE01 textures come from in the PSXDoom pk3 file? I don't recall ever seeing them in the original maps. I don't think IDWALL is in the Lost Levels either and FENCE01 is only used in one, maybe two, maps from the TC. Were they custom-made for the TC?

MajorRawne said:

Where do the IDWALL and FENCE01 textures come from in the PSXDoom pk3 file? ... Were they custom-made for the TC?

Not custom made for the TC, but originally made for the console port. IDWALL was probably supposed to be used for Club Doom but for some reason never got used, and FENCE01 is exclusive to the PSX Final Doom IWAD.

http://tcrf.net/Doom_%28PlayStation%29

ScottGray said:

If you have the lost levels open up the psxlost.pk3 and check the maps folder for a title map. If its in there delete it. They mods simple activate the code to play the intro sequences in the titlemap of the main tc. If its over written by another tilemap they wont work.

Thanks! That solved the problem. Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next versions (Lost Levels is still Pre-Beta now, i'll try to report the problem anyway)