Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Gez. I applied the Jaguar formulas to the weapons and monsters in the TC (the Doom 2 stuff still use the PC formulas) and it seems to work well, but the shotgun feels a bit uncomfortable now. Did shotgun guys sometimes survive direct player-shotgun blasts in the PSX version? They didn't survive in Doom64Ex.

It'd be nice if someone could test this and confirm whether or not it feels right:

PSXDOOM_UPDATE_DMGTEST.PK3

Gez, do you know where to look for the gib health threshold values in the source code? Perhaps they altered the value for the ZombieMan actor in the Jaguar version.

It's negative health like in PC Doom. You can quickly find it by grepping for "xdeathstate" and ignoring the info.c/info.h results. You'll find only two results in game logic code, lines 611-612 of p_inter.c, and they are exactly identical to their PC Doom source code counterpart.

Maybe the PSX port changed that to half negative health like in Heretic? It'd make the zombieman gib at -10, so a combined 30 points of damage kills it, just like when you changed it to 15 health.

Gez said:

It's negative health like in PC Doom. You can quickly find it by grepping for "xdeathstate" and ignoring the info.c/info.h results. You'll find only two results in game logic code, lines 611-612 of p_inter.c, and they are exactly identical to their PC Doom source code counterpart.

I see, so if it would be half negative health, that would apply to all the other actors too.

Gez said:

Maybe the PSX port changed that to half negative health like in Heretic? It'd make the zombieman gib at -10, so a combined 30 points of damage kills it, just like when you changed it to 15 health.

I think this sounds like the most reasonable thing to do. If I set the GibHealth value to 10, the Jaguar player-pellet formula gibs the zombiemen on its own. And since Mattfrie1 confirmed that the pistol never gibbed the zombiemen on its own, it would make sense that they used the PC formula on the player-pellets in the PSX version, since the PC formula doesn't gib them, unless the zombiemen are weakened by something else first. To be honest, I don't think they put too much thought into this. They probably only wanted some more gibs with the barrels and the rocket launcher.

I think we should use the PC formulas on the player-pellets, but keep the Jaguar formulas on everything else, unless someone strongly insists on using the PC formulas on specific things.

BTW: Can anyone confirm that the shotgun guy attacks were stronger in the PSX version? Using the Jaguar formula, they quickly drain your health if you're not careful.

unknownna said:

I think we should use the PC formulas on the player-pellets, but keep the Jaguar formulas on everything else, unless someone strongly insists on using the PC formulas on specific things.

But before we replace the Jaguar formulas on the player-pellets, I need to know if there's a difference between these two:

A_FireBullets (11.2, 7.1, 20, random(1, 3)*5, "PSXBulletPuff", FBF_USEAMMO | FBF_NORANDOM, 0)
A_FireBullets (11.2, 7.1, 20, 5, "PSXBulletPuff", FBF_USEAMMO, 0)
If FBF_NORANDOM is set, the demons will sometimes survive direct SSG shots.

PSXDOOM_UPDATE_07.PK3 (also includes the fixes in PSXDOOM_UPDATE_06.PK3)

• Fixed: PSXZombieMan didn't use the proper damage formula. It should be random(1, 8)*3.
  • Fixed: The PSXChaingun flash state used a wrong frame.
  • Fixed: The weapon sprites weren't centered to match the PSX version. Furthermore, I improved many of the sprite offsets.
  • Fixed: Gib, lost soul death and barrel explosion sounds (SNDINFO) were limited.
  • Improved the PSXExplosiveBarrel state timing.
  • The following actors now use the damage formulas of the Jaguar version since they were used in Doom 64 as well (Jaguar -> PSX -> Doom 64): PSXZombieMan, PSXDemon, PSXSpectre, PSXNightmareSpectre, PSXCacodemon
  • The following actors now now gib at half negative spawnhealth instead of full negative spawnhealth: PSXDoomPlayer, PSXZombieMan, PSXShotgunGuy, PSXChaingunGuy, PSXDoomImp
  • All flat/texture animation timings (ANIMDEFS) bumped up from 8 tics to 9 in order to match the PSX version.
ScottGray, remember to include my ZMAPINFO and PSXCAST fixes.

Edit:

Use this one instead:

PSXDOOM_UPDATE_08.PK3 (also includes the fixes in PSXDOOM_UPDATE_07.PK3)

It seems that only PSX DOOM levels have "slow pulse" effect on some sectors. Corresponding sectors in PSX FINAL DOOM have standart ("fast") pulse instead.

Is it possible to select between PSX DOOM and PSX FINAL DOOM specific graphics (copyrights, statusbar and so on)? Or it's only possible if playing standalone PSX FINAL DOOM?

Is it possible to make lit (muzzleflash) sprites affected by colored sectors?

Is it possible to change player face behavoiur so that it changes to STFKILL immediately when player steps over damaging sector (still no pain)

When playing in non-4:3 resolutions, default tiled background (GRNROCK) "doesn't fit" the black-stroked statusbar. What about making the stbar background solid-colored (black)?

Don't forget to include ECHO MOVEBOB "0.125">>PSXDOOM.CFG into PSXDOOM.BAT. It makes your gun swing less when yuo walk and more when you run. Don't know how to emulate the PSX DOOM weapon bobbing (it's different for each walk direction, most noticeably it can be seen during strafing)

Great work though, very good idea to keep all PSX DOOMS in one TC

Hi, apologies if this has been asked already or should be asked in a different thread. I am wondering if it is at all possible to play the PSX Doom/final doom TC Co-op multiplayer? I have looked around a bit and been confused by mentions of command lines. Which are not command lines used in the games console, so i am unsure of how to work those. I run the game from the PSXDOOM.BAT in the GZDOOM folder. Would any one mind telling me if this is possible and how i would go about doing it? i would need basic instructions step by step cuz i havent a clue about command lines.

I'd really appreciate the help if anyone has the time, thanks!

Digital Bat, this is how to start a coop. Ill expand a bit on Nirv's explanation earlier in the thread.

Open PSXDOOM.BAT with note pad

The last line looks like this:
START GZDOOM.EXE +EXEC PSXDOOM.CFG -CONFIG PSXDOOM.INI

The Host adds "-host 2 -extratic" to the end of that line, so it should look like this

START GZDOOM.EXE +EXEC PSXDOOM.CFG -CONFIG PSXDOOM.INI -host 2 -extratic
If you want to start from a later level say 16, add -warp16 to the line.

The joining player would add "-join [Hosts IP ADDRESS]" to the last line of there PSXDOOM.BAT, so it should look like this

START GZDOOM.EXE +EXEC PSXDOOM.CFG -CONFIG PSXDOOM.INI -join 192.168.1.2

Thank you Scott i really appreciate that! It seems really straight forward. I haven't had the chance to test it out with any one yet but will do soon.

Thanks again :]

The trouble is the psx maps only have start points for 2 players, I think It would fling up an error saying no player 3 start found, but you could add more start points to the maps use doom builder. How many players are you needing?

I tried using skulltag, which is Zdoom based and has excellent multiplayer support.
http://www.skulltag.com/download/
But the latest version of our TC doesn't seem to be compatible anymore, I think its because skulltag's not been updated in a while.

lafoxxx said:

It seems that only PSX DOOM levels have "slow pulse" effect on some sectors. Corresponding sectors in PSX FINAL DOOM have standart ("fast") pulse instead.

It seems that fenderc01 manually created the slow fade effects through ACS, so we'd have to manually edit every map. I'm not personally going to do that in the foreseeable future.

lafoxxx said:

When playing in non-4:3 resolutions, default tiled background (GRNROCK) "doesn't fit" the black-stroked statusbar.

Try to set vid_aspect to 3.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I haven't really said anything in a while, but very nice updates unknownna. You caught a lot of stuff that I never even took notice to.

Thanks. Here's another one:

PSXDOOM_UPDATE_09.PK3

• Fixed: The PSXDoomImp in PSXCAST used a wrong sound. It should be "imp/melee".
  • Fixed: The PSXChaingunGuy see state timing was too fast.
  • Fixed: The PSXHellKnight/PSXBaronOfHell missile/melee state timing was too fast.
  • Fixed: The PSXPainElemental see state timing was too fast.
  • Fixed: The PSXPainElemental missile state timing was too fast.
  • Fixed: The PSXRevenant see state timing was too fast (this one is very slow in the PSX version).
  • Fixed: The PSXFatso death state timing was too slow (it seems to be faster than the PC version).
  • Fixed: The death state timings of the following projectile-actors were too fast: PSXDoomImpBall, PSXCacodemonBall, PSXBaronBall, PSXRevenantTracer, PSXFatShot, PSXRocket
  • Fixed: The PSXPlasmaBall spawn state timing was too fast (this one seems to be very slow as well in the PSX version).
  • Fixed: There were no spectres or nightmare spectres in MAP18 (Pandemonium). Locations based on Elbryan42's YouTube video.
  • Fixed: There were no spectres or nightmare spectres in MAP19 (House of Pain). Locations based on Elbryan42's YouTube video.
  • Fixed: The PSXNightmareSpectre didn't have a proper obituary message. Furthermore, the string (LANGUAGE) is now named "OB_NMSPECTREHIT".
  • Fixed: The Gibs actor wasn't scaled down.
  • Improved the PSXPlasmaRifle flash state timing.
  • Improved the PSXDoomImp missile/melee state timing.
  • Improved the PSXCyberdemon missile state timing.
  • Improved the PSXExplosiveBarrel state timing again.
  • Fixed a typo in the PSXRevenant spawn state name.
  • PSXDoomPlayer no longer replaces DoomPlayer since it's not needed.
  • PSXFist no longer replaces Fist since it's not needed.
  • Crush sounds are now separate from gib sounds (SNDINFO). Furthermore, they are now limited to 2.
  • Included ZDoom's fullscreen HUD (SBARINFO), but with BIGFONT instead of HUDFONT_DOOM. Furthermore, the keys now use the PSX icons.
  • Renamed every GL* actor to PSX*. The LOCKDEFS lump and the inventory reset maps (RESETEP*.WAD) have been updated with the new names.
BTW: ScottGray, remember to update Readme.txt. The credits section has to be updated with Mattfrie1's list. There are some typos in there as well. Those who wish to use the Final Doom SSG shouldn't use psxshotgun.wad anymore. Use this one instead:

PSXSSG.PK3

unknownna, but what if I want 16:9? I tried replacing these textures with solid black color, worked fine.

PSXDOOM_UPDATE_10.PK3 (also includes the fixes from PSXDOOM_UPDATE_09.PK3)

• Fixed: The PSXPistol flash state timing was too slow.
  • Fixed: The PSXShotgun flash state timing was too slow.
  • Improved the PSXSuperShotgun flash state timing.
  • Improved the PSXPistol HUD sprite offsets.

lafoxxx said:

unknownna, but what if I want 16:9? I tried replacing these textures with solid black color, worked fine.

Do you know if any of the PSX maps use the GRNROCK texture? It seems that the PSX texture is named ROK03.

BTW: ScottGray, for how long has the TC been named beta 1? Did you update the version number at all?

unknownna, a fortiori i don't see any problems replacnig now-not-needed GRNROCK and BRDR_** to solid black colored images.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7mn92fyl0a32icg - here's all the GFX (and 1 FLAT) you need. It looked fine when I've used it in PSX DOOM TC before.

What about different STBAR, COPYRTS, CREDITS and more GFX that's different in DOOM and FINAL DOOM?
Would also be good if there'll be no more "fast pulse" sector light effect. And if colored lighting could affect even lit weapon sprites

lol its probably version 10 or something like that.

What do you want to call it unknownna? Maybe its by the beta stage now, what do you recon?

Lafoxxx I had a quick look at that wiki page. fenderc01 suggested we refer to this as version 2 so its the a beta of PSXDoom version 2
If we then use unknownna's update numbers

instead of PSXDoom 2.0 Beta 10.zip we could have

PSXDoom 2.0-b10
PSXDoom 2.0.1.10
PSXDoom 1.9.10 working up to PSXDoom 2.0

any preference?

ScottGray said:

instead of PSXDoom 2.0 Beta 10.zip we could have

PSXDoom 2.0-b10
PSXDoom 2.0.1.10
PSXDoom 1.9.10 working up to PSXDoom 2.0

any preference?

I think the first one (2.0-b10) probably sounds the best, as the second one has too many numbers in it IMO. I'll update the thread title once we all reach consensus.

PSXDOOM_UPDATE_11.PK3 (also includes the fixes from PSXDOOM_UPDATE_10.PK3)

• Included lafoxxx's statusbar patch.
  • Emulated the PSX/Doom64 infighting behavior. Monsters should play their see sounds after defeating other monsters. It's not perfect, but it works sufficiently well (based on the Doom64Ex behavior). GZDoom 1.6.0 doesn't display TNT1 A 0 frames properly in the cast sequences, so I used the corresponding monster frames instead.

ScottGray said:

What do you want to call it unknownna?

As long as people are able to identify which version they're using, I'm fine with whatever you decide to call it. Remember to include the version number in Readme.txt. Will you rename PSXDOOM.PK3 to PSXDOOM20b10.PK3, or something like that, as well?

Why is gl_light_ambient set to 150 and vid_brightness to -0.01 for those who use PSXDOOM.CFG? I never use these values myself, but I must say that it looks very washed out and you lose most of the lighting effects. For instance, the lighting in MAP05 will not fade properly.

GL_TEXTURE_FILTER "1"
GL_TEXTURE_FILTER_ANISOTROPIC "16"
CL_ROCKETTRAILS "0"
DMFLAGS "5570560"
DMFLAGS "131072"
Double DMFLAGS values. Perhaps one of them is supposed to be DMFLAGS2. Now that the PSXRocket actor has the ROCKETTRAIL flag removed, we don't need the "cl_rockettrails 0" setting in the CFG.

We should include the following in the CFG:
PULLIN "PSXSSG.PK3"
r_drawfuzz "0"
r_drawtrans "1"

I'm not sure why the gl_light_ambient is set to 150 and vid_brightness to -0.01 in the cfg file, they've always been there.

I added the dmflags "131072" to allow free look a long time ago, subtracting that number from the dmflags "5570560" does the same thing, I don't know what other effects dmflags "5570560" has.

perhaps the light, brightness and texture filter values should be removed so the players can set them there self.

PSXDOOM_SNDTEST.PK3

I tried to emulate the PSX/Doom64 sound behavior. It seems that actors are allowed to play multiple sounds, so I used A_PlaySound with CHAN_AUTO to play most of the monster/weapon sounds. I also removed the limits of all the monster/weapon/projectile sounds. I had to lower the volume of some sounds since they became too loud. Can somebody (Lafoxxx, Mattfrie1, Francis247uk, BaronOfStuff, ScottGray) test this PK3 and let me know whether or not it's working properly? It certainly feels a lot different now.

ScottGray said:

I added the dmflags "131072" to allow free look a long time ago, subtracting that number from the dmflags "5570560" does the same thing, I don't know what other effects dmflags "5570560" has.

I didn't look into this, but I don't think we need any dmflags values. The maps already have some compatflags and stuff enabled in them through ZMAPINFO.

ScottGray said:

Perhaps the light, brightness and texture filter values should be removed so the players can set them there self.

I'd say that we should just set a basic un-filtered setting, i.e., gl_texture_filter 0, and then let the users control the rest. As you can see in nirv's bug video, the PSX renderer had a special lantern-like lighting that made everything look brighter. We have to set gl_light_ambient to 0 in order to make the ACS lighting effects work properly.

However, if people sincerely wish to play with a high gl_light_ambient value, we should keep it. It's your call.

BTW: Remember to include Lafoxxx's movebob value (0.125) when you decide to update the TC.

Leave the user's filter settings and ambient light unchanged, that's a performance consideration and user preference that should be left alone.

If needed, the readme should specify which light mode, Dark/legacy/standard, should be used, while not changing it against the user's wishes.

phi108 said:

Leave the user's filter settings and ambient light unchanged, that's a performance consideration and user preference that should be left alone.

If needed, the readme should specify which light mode, Dark/legacy/standard, should be used, while not changing it against the user's wishes.

Maybe a good solution would be to set the recommended settings, but make it easy for the end user to change.

Script error, "PSXDOOM_SNDTEST.PK3:actors/monsters.txt" line 11:
Invalid state parameter a_checkflag

my fault maybe.

One more thing I remember so far. though I'm not sure you'll fix it, since I've not received feedback to some found pc-psx differences. So, here:
On level WORMHOLE, when you enter the tunnels, machinery knocks can be heard (from that little square sector outside playable area). When you teleport to "future" world, these knocks are "slower".
Even in PSX TC the interval between these knocks is smaller than on the original PSX version. I think it can be fixed by slightly increasing height of that sector

Approx.frequency:

_______|"real world"___|"parallel world"
PSX:___|4 times per sec|2 times per sec
PSX TC:|about twice faster!

lafoxxx said:

Script error, "PSXDOOM_SNDTEST.PK3:actors/monsters.txt" line 11:
Invalid state parameter a_checkflag

Test it with GZDoom 1.6.0.

lafoxxx said:

On level WORMHOLE, when you enter the tunnels, machinery knocks can be heard (from that little square sector outside playable area). When you teleport to "future" world, these knocks are "slower".
Even in PSX TC the interval between these knocks is smaller than on the original PSX version. I think it can be fixed by slightly increasing height of that sector

Approx.frequency:

_______|"real world"___|"parallel world"
PSX:___|4 times per sec|2 times per sec
PSX TC:|about twice faster!

Please test PSXDOOM_SNDTEST2.PK3 with GZDoom 1.6.0. I lowered the crusher speed by 2. Let me know if it's still too fast, or if it became too slow.

Didn't found latest GZ on the off.site, sorry

Sndtest sounds pretty similar for now. Love that overlapping pain sounds when you get under crusher.

but they appear too frequently - in crusher on map GEYRON, player must receive damage 3 times, not more. check please (compare to psx version). to fix this I think you have to change "pain interval" somehow (i don't know, but hope you understand what i mean) it's probably hardcoded difference

Crusher speed is now too slow - on map WORMHOLE, "present world"'s crusher now sounds like "future world"'s one. Twice slower, for short.