Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stroggos

Recommended Linux Distro

I'm currently looking at a bunch of Linux distros to decide which one would suit me as a developer and I was wondering if any Linux users have any input on their favourites. Currently I think I've narrowed it down to three which are Ubuntu, Fedora and Gentoo, but any input on another distro would be appreciated.

I'd suggest you go with Ubuntu. Definitely not Gentoo.

And FYI everyone is about to reply to this thread to tell you that you should use their favourite obscure Linux distro. Really, if you're new to Linux, go with either Ubuntu or Fedora, ignore any other suggestions.

My "favourite obscure Linux distro" is Slackware. That said, I suggest Fedora. We (meaning everyone but me) use that and Ubuntu a lot at work for development with great success.

EDIT: Or Mint. That one is good, too.

I just hope he doesn't have to use the old Fortran compiler instead of the new one. That one stumped me with Fedora Core 4. They replaced the Fortran compiler and there was just no way to downgrade it. I wasn't about to rewrite the biggest makefile I'd ever seen so I ended up installing Fedora Core 3 to solve the problem. It was frustrating that the Fortran compiler needed a specific version of gcc installed and Fedora wanted a different version of gcc and wouldn't let me change it.

Meh. Enough ranting. I'd recommend either Fedora or Ubuntu too. They both seem to work well for general-purpose goals when you're not interested in whatever quirk some other distro has.

So really Ubuntu us the way to go practically? That's what I was leaning towards anyway... Thanks for the input.

I misread the thread title as "Recommended Linux Disco" and thought there were several specialized clubs for Linux fans ΧD

Whenever I ask what Linux distro to use, it always devolves into a flamewar. That is why I've never tried Linux.

You want to try going to a Linux club. Those places can get nasty real quick. ;)

fraggle said:

I'd suggest you go with Ubuntu. Definitely not Gentoo.

And FYI everyone is about to reply to this thread to tell you that you should use their favourite obscure Linux distro. Really, if you're new to Linux, go with either Ubuntu or Fedora, ignore any other suggestions.

Going to say this. I personally like Fedora more, as it's the more conservative of the popular distros now.

If your willing to find a little balance of ease of use, and time spent setting it up, I'd pick Arch. That's why I chose it.

If you need only one extreme - ease of use vs performance due to tweaking - you have Debian and Gentoo.

Debian really is the universal Linux operating system.

On the other hand, I'll pull in the latest Svn/Git package optimized to my exact system with no user intervention other than a "yaourt -S foo" by using Arch. This includes chocolate-doom, and ZDoom. BAM, up to date with the latest features, or bug fixes.

Debian or Ubuntu.

Personally I started out with Slax (LiveUSB Slackware), it's fine too if you want to try it out.