Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peach freak

Can someone explain the stair trick in TNT Map30?

I'm talking about the stairs that you need to raise in order to get the Red Key on the top of the pilar. I know an editing trick is used to build the stairs, but I'm stumped on how it works completely. On the staircase, each stair rises by 24 units, which is the absolute highest a player can walk onto, I believe.

I also know that this was "buggy" and BOOM fixed this bug which made games like TNT incompatible with BOOM, unless a setting was used.

Now, looking at the map, I see a string of textures off the map, with some of the sectors joined with the stair sectors. For example, the first of these three sectors rise by 8 units, and the first stair leading to the Red Key is tied to the 3rd sector (and 8 * 3 is 24, which is why is raises by a total of 24).

Now, I see a total of 18 off-map sectors that help build the stairs. Most of the sectors are square (which I define as 64x64) while there's a couple that are rectangular (128x64). Under the rectangular sectors, there are vertices that split the 128-unit linedefs into two 64-unit linedefs.

Under the DOOM engine, some of the sectors off-map rise by 16 rather than 8. Looking off map, here's a review of each sector:

Sector 1: Square sector, rises by 8
Sector 2: Square sector, rises by 8
Sector 3: Square sector, rises by 8. Joined with the first step leading to Red Key.
Sector 4: Square sector, rises by 8
Sector 5: Square sector, rises by 8
Sector 6: Square sector, rises by 8. Joined with second step leading to Red Key.
Sector 7: Square sector, rises by 16
Sector 8: Rectangular sector, rises by 8. Joined with third step leading to Red Key.
Sector 9: Rectangular sector, rises by 16.
Sector 10: Rectangular sector, rises by 8. Joined with 4th step leading to Red Key.
Sector 11: Rectangular sector, rises by 16.
Sector 12: Square sectorl rises by 8. Joined with 5th step leading to Red Key.
Sector 13: Rectangular sector, rises by 16.
Sector 14: Square sector, rises by 8. Joined with 6th step leading to Red Key.
Sector 15: Rectangular sector, rises by 16.
Sector 16: Square sector, rises by 8. Joined with 7th step leading to Red Key.
Sector 17: Rectangular sector, rises by 16.
Sector 18: Square sector, rises by 8. Joined with last step leading to Red Key.

How come some of the stairs off-map (mostly the rectangular ones) rise by 16 and not 8? Is there some weird calculation that the Doom engine does?

Thanks.

It's sequenced like this because the stairs rise more than 8 notice how there are two sectors then a third that is joined that will raise it by 24 then it goes one sector then the next is joined to one on the map that will raise it 16 there is no real trick here the only reason those sectors are 64x128 because when that was made they didn't know how many sectors they would need and didn't bother cleaning up their work.