Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

I'm the only who doesn't like Deus Ex: Human Revoluion?

Although I'm a young man, I love older games, rather than recent ones.

On the summer I played through the first Deus Ex. That's the most amazing game I've seen in my life (even better than Doom *u*) and I was completely surpised. how can be a 11-old games as amazingly epic, as Deus Ex was.

Than I saw some videos and pictures about Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Meh. Everything is green nor yellow nor orange nor brown... like my vomit after some bottle of vine.

That's NOT A DEUS EX SEQUEL! That's just a modern FPS/RPG game with zhe name Deus Ex.

Agree? Disagree? Other?

Haven't played it, I can imagine that it's a "softened up" version of the original, though that's an assumption.
The thing I can vividly remember is a buddy of mine who played through the first one and to say he was hooked may be an understatement.

Never played Deus Ex, so I can't comment on it.

But despite the fact that you're now ignoring my post because I obviously don't know what I'm taking about, I thought DX:HR was an excellent game that earned itself a second playthrough from me. But if the original was even better, great. I'm unlikely going to ever play it though.

Passing judgment on a game by a couple pictures and a trailer or two? Sounds like doomworld tradition. :)

DX:HR is great. I thought it lived up to its name pretty much as well as it could. And the original DX is my favorite game ever.

Katamori said:

like my vomit after a vial of zyme.

FTFY

Pavera said:

Passing judgment on a game by a couple pictures and a trailer or two? Sounds like the mentality of everyone over the age of 16

FTFY, too

Deus Ex is one of the best, if not the best game in my collection in my opinion. I've played through it over 12 times now and know most of the dialogue by heart. I also have the logo tattooed on my arm.

Beyond the nuts and bolts of the game and just how fun it is to play through lies a storyline that's more deep and meaningful than anything I've seen. If you like games which have really thought-provoking plotlines, this is the game for you. I've sat and pondered the larger philosophical questions posed by Deus Ex for hours on end. The game alludes to almost every well-known conspiracy theory there is, but does so in a way that doesn't seem forced or unnatural. Somehow, it makes you feel as though each one has merit and must be given serious consideration. And the voice-acting, which there's a lot of, was fantastic in my opinion, and even the few goofy moments have a certain undeniable charm to them.

@DoomUK: Why don't you think you'll ever play Deus Ex? Just wondering. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if you like DX:HR then you're really missing out if you don't play through the first one.

Note: a potentially controversial opinion follows that may instigate some proverbial woe of the anus amongst those who subscribe to an opposing opinion regarding this:-

Vordakk said:

@DoomUK: Why don't you think you'll ever play Deus Ex? Just wondering. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if you like DX:HR then you're really missing out if you don't play through the first one.

I find 3D graphics of that era difficult to readjust to if you never played a said game at that time and became fond of it. There's plenty of mid 90's/late 90's/early 00's games which I played and still love, but DX was not one of them. It's widely praised and I respect it for what it is and the world that it established, but I can't get properly immersed in the game if it's visuals are jarringly antiquated.

Not that DX:HR is particularly impressive on a technical level, but yes, visuals in games are important, if part of a larger package. Vintage 2D and 2.5 games have aged far better than the 9-polygon character models plastered with blurry textures of a decade or so ago. To stress my point: Doom looks better than Quake.

Katamori, just play the game, it's so very much a Deus Ex game. It's got a different visual style and overall theme, but the game at it's core is very much like the original.

You won't be disappointed, despite being modern, it still has extreme nonliniarity and complexity.

Pavera said:

DX:HR is great. I thought it lived up to its name pretty much as well as it could. And the original DX is my favorite game ever.

Very much agreed.

But yeah, I did a facepalm after reading the thread title and opening it up to find that the OP hasn't even played it yet. How can you dislike something if you don't even know what it is?

DoomUK said:

I can't get properly immersed in the game if it's visuals are jarringly antiquated.

If they ever get around to finishing the DX re-modeling project, I'll let you know. They've already done a re-texturing project that makes wall textures look a lot better(some were super low-res) but they haven't finished doing all the models yet. I think Project HDTP has been abandoned though, so hopefully someone else will resume and finish what they started.

On the contrary, I find that the dated early 2000s graphics of the original Deus Ex only add to the game's brilliant atmosphere. That coupled with its quirks and idiosyncrasies gives it a grit and grime that no game will ever be able to achieve again. It's beautiful.

Katamori said:

Although I'm a young man, I love older games, rather than recent ones.

On the summer I played through the first Deus Ex. That's the most amazing game I've seen in my life (even better than Doom *u*) and I was completely surpised. how can be a 11-old games as amazingly epic, as Deus Ex was.

Than I saw some videos and pictures about Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Meh. Everything is green nor yellow nor orange nor brown... like my vomit after some bottle of vine.

That's NOT A DEUS EX SEQUEL! That's just a modern FPS/RPG game with zhe name Deus Ex.

Agree? Disagree? Other?

I HAVEN'T PLAYED IT BUT ITS NOT THE SAME COLOR AS DEUS EX 1 SO IT SUUUUUUUUCKS

I enjoyed dx:hr very much. Very stylish in my opinion. Jensen :3

I tried to play first deus ex many times, but I always got bored not too far to the game.

Another recommendation for DX:HR. So much better than Invisible war. Almost on par with the original DX gameplay wise, but graphically much more compelling. The palette is not Unreal 3 brown, it's black and gold, and it is an intentional design decision that works very well from both a thematic standpoint and to add to the readability of the game in a less intrusive way than superimposed boxes lining everything.

(Also, note, the only people naysaying this game are the ones who haven't played it.)

_bruce_ said:

Haven't played it, I can imagine that it's a "softened up" version of the original, though that's an assumption.

Played through on hardest difficulty with all the "glowing object" nonsense shut off... it's not much more difficult than the first DX on medium.
A lot of the RPG aspects are gotten rid of. In fact, the RPG portion of the FPSRPG Deus Ex is is pretty much just "quests... oh, and get 5000 XP to level up and unlock one ability!". It's still a good game with a story that's a bit easier to follow than the original DX's though.

Honestly though, one of the biggest disappointments of DX:HR (to me anyway) was that they used pre-rendered cutscenes all over the place in the game... and none of it was anything they couldn't have done in real time, if they had only done a better job at the "non-scripted" character animation.

@OP The "orange ALL THE THINGS" colour filter that's applied to most of the game is annoying, sure, but that holds literally no ground on whether or not it's a Deus Ex game. That's kind of like saying Oblivion wasn't and Elder Scrolls game because it was more colourful than Morrowind.

xepop said:

I tried to play first deus ex many times, but I always got bored not too far to the game.

That actually happened to me the first time I played it. The opening level is kinda bland visually, with wide open spaces and easy to avoid enemies. About the time I hit Hell's Kitchen things started to get really interesting.

deus ex is one of my favorite games of all time as well. i also got bored with it on my first play-through; however, not in the beginning, but close to the end. i was surprised by its length and got tired of the "more of the same thing." a year after that, i decided to finish it...and then i replayed it about 5 times since.
regardless, i still prefer system shock 2 just as i prefer super metroid to symphony of the night. a more "pure" experience...or something like that.

i have deus ex: hr for my ps3, but i haven't played it yet past the intro level because i am waiting for the HDtv i am receiving for christmas.
i'm also a bit overwhelmed when it comes to games with cover systems...since i have little experience with most modern games (i've never played gears of war and i dislike uncharted 3 solely because of the shooting segments and cover system...)

HR is an okay game, but it left me feeling none of the choices I've made along the storyline really mattered and the ending is a joke. I liked IW much more, even if the multilayered storyline was one of the few qualities of the original it retained. IW managed to present the consequences of your actions to the general game world much more convincingly.

DX is the best game I've ever played that only System Shock 1/2 can compare to.

Belial said:

HR is an okay game, but it left me feeling none of the choices I've made along the storyline really mattered and the ending is a joke.

My exact thoughts. It's certainly not a bad game at all, but it doesn't have the replay value of the original or even IW.

Belial said:

DX is the best game I've ever played that only System Shock 1/2 can compare to.

Yeah System Shock 2 was fantastic. Still haven't played System Shock 1 as I'm having trouble getting it to work on Windows 7.

@Belial: Off-topic, but what are your thoughts on the Thief series?

xepop said:

What a shame.

Also, for those of you who do have the original Deus Ex, there's some mods out there. Unreal Revolution and Malkavian Mod come to mind as being noteworthy (to me at least).

Vordakk said:

@Belial: Off-topic, but what are your thoughts on the Thief series?

In general, anything made by Looking Glass is epic in my book. Lost gems like Terra Nova included.

The first Thief is an absolute classic and I haven't even played the updated Gold edition. Didn't even mind playing it on a P133 running at an average 15 fps.

The second one didn't impress me as much, it's basically a mission pack for the first one that at times feels like someone wanted to marry System Shock 2 and Thief by adding the Mechanists just so they could have security cameras and bots. I didn't appreciate the removal of zombies either, contrary to most peoples opinion. Also, what happens at the start of the final mission made me sad and pissed off at the same time.

The third one suffers from using a highly modified version of Unreal Engine 2 that just couldn't be adapted to stealth gameplay well enough to match the previous two instances that had their dedicated engine (surprising considering Ion Storm's been successful IMO in modding Unreal engines for the first two DX games). It just doesn't play or feel like a Thief game for me, but is still worth playing for one of the most memorable maps in gaming history.

Khorus said:

There is the nameless mod too.

Nameless Mod in my opinion is so good that it almost approaches Deus Ex itself. The fact that it was done by fans for free is almost mind-boggling.

There was another mod for Deus Ex where you played as Paul. Can't remember the name though. It was pretty decent for the time, although there's no voice-acting.