Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

Can anyone help me here

I'm looking for a job for an art gallery downtown charleston. I don't know how to search for one though. I typed in " jobs in downtown charleston art gallery" and all but got ads and info and what not.
Plus does anyone know how they'd pay and what services I'd be doing? Most of these are independent or family ran.

I really think I'm suited for the job, as I DROPPED cartooning for now and went on to animals/ abstract. Its calm, not some annoying, rule-applied market.

And what credentials or occupational history might I need if any?

Your only option is to look for art galleries in Charleston and ask them personally and send them a line. And if successful, send them a digital portfolio. Most jobs in the art industry aren't really posted, but filled when the right people come looking.

Good luck!

Technician said:

Your only option is to look for art galleries in Charleston and ask them personally and send them a line. And if successful, send them a digital portfolio. Most jobs in the art industry aren't really posted, but filled when the right people come looking.

Good luck!

Thank you.
Sometime this weekend or over summer I'll have to go down there and walk around to see any openings. Hopefully one closer to the water.

Gallery "jobs" are mostly internships--unpaid. I've worked in a couple galleries and you mostly do grunt work or clerical stuff, if you get paid its not a ton. I've had work in galleries that I made less on though, so, not the worst!

Technician's right though, the only real way is to go and find places personally. Really helps if you know someone.

I highly suggest intern jobs to gain experience, but the art world is notorious for people hiring interns to get free service, not to incorporate them into their place of business. I remember one internship where I was pretty much hired to clean a sinfully filthy studio and never even got to sit in on a session.

The art world is often about knowing the right people, and of course, a lucky break.