Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is stunning. I've no words for how beautiful this is.

Actually I did found something, This is what the Sequel to Doom 64 would have been.

The brown textures used for the sky beams look too clouds-filtery to me. Everything else looks good, though, especially the player model.

I think I will change the title graphic sometime and try to make it more readable, while still keeping it looking the same reversed and flipped upside down.

I've been wondering what would be a good resolution for textures? At the moment I'm using 1024x1024 for 128x128 level texture and 1024x1024 for human size character models. Earlier I used 512x512 for 128x128, but 1024x1024 for the models as I thought the pixels would look the same size with these, but the models looked sharper.

This stuff concerns me because of file sizes, memory use/load time and do Doom levels look a bit weird with very high res textures?

Well, I've done another armor. This one has a helmet, though initially I thought the face should be visible. But I think this armor looks more the way I want the player's armor to look like. It was inspired by my clothing and then I got inspired by samurai armors. Player will also get a katana, so a samurai looking armor will be more fitting than the previous one.

I made some promotional picture... It seems I'm going to make this project have some similarity to Abuse, as I've always wanted to play it in 3D. Though, that doesn't mean I've abandoned my initial idea for this project.

Some promotional image

Woah, I like your 3d models. Those pics show off some decent architecture, but the textures on the other hand are to bland. I think you need some more contrasting visuals.

I prefer Doom without 3D models (except voxelmodels) and hi-res crap.

However, your work is definitely nice.

Well, it's going to be a total conversion, new game sort of thing, so it's not exactly Doom then. But I do plan to use sprites too, though they're meant to be displayed when the objects are further away.

Here's the almost complete highpoly model for the player. Helmet, backpack thing with the jetpack tubes and the groin could have some more detail.. but at the moment I'm a bit unsure what detail I should do to them.

Some highpoly modeling

I plan to get back to doing level textures once I get the player character textured and have some basic animations.

I'm glad to see this project progressing.

i think 1024 for 128 textures is perfect.

I like the models although the proportions are kind of like that of a midget. I think the arms need to be thickened and the legs lengthened.

Making this similar to Abuse is not a bad thing. I love that game.

Jimi said:

Well, it's going to be a total conversion, new game sort of thing, so it's not exactly Doom then.

In this case, I wish a lot of luck and glory to the work! :D

I think the midgety look came from the arms being too short and I had expanded the torso a bit too much for the armor. I think initially when I was making the model, I had the arms correct length, but then for some reason thought they were too long.

Ok, so I corrected the arms lengths, thickened them slightly, and then made the torso thinner. I also removed the jetpack, felt like it would have been too powerful ability, and Doom engine doesn't really have that much possibilities where player could fly.

Old player model WIP texture

The player's legs look really bulky compared to the rest of his body. Is this intentional? Or does he have more armor on his legs? I also think the legs could be a touch longer(particularly from hip to knee), as I'm still getting a midgety vibe from this model.

Bleh, I guess they were a bit off still. Now I have to do the texture again, because the UV map needed changes after I tweaked the proportions. I also need to adjust the skeleton and the skinning.

I don't know how you do your work flow. But generally speaking, you make a base human mesh which you then "dress". It's a lot easier to get it right that way.

And I have made that naked model. I made it like months ago and no one said anything about it being disproportionate. But usually when people get interested in saying anything, the model is already skinned, uv mapped, textured and have some few animations.

Well, here's the new proportions, I measured my body parts again and then adjusted the models to those measures:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/wip/skelearmor_proportions.jpg

Well, I got tired of adjusting it, so I decided to scrap the model and go back to model aliens.

The alien is 264cm tall and has a 273cm long sword. It wears a special armor that integrates itself into the user as if it was just another layer of skin... so I don't need to waste my time on thinking and designing what kind of armor it could wear.

Ingame I'll probably scale it so that it fits some 60 unit tall and 20-24 wide hitbox, so that I can use the usual level sizes.

Alien with sword

This time ingame pic... testing how the model looks with different sizes. The eyes seem a bit too close together and the 1.2 aspect emulation doesn't help it. I'll probably move them further apart.. and also remove that 1.2 emulation.

The sizes are from left to right: 80, 72, 64, 60 and 56, and the box things behind them are 64 units tall and wide.

I also thought the real size for the character would be 180-200cm, so it'll be easier to do weapons and items for it.

Player size image

Ok, so I was trying how 512x512 textures look with detail textures. Seems like they can look about like 1024x1024 with the detail textures, so I don't need to actually use 1024x1024 for 128x128 game unit area.

Stone Metal 02

Stone Metal 03

I did some texturing on the model, tried some colors for it too. Maybe I need to check how Doom changes player colors and then redo the coloring for the model, because I also want the sprites to have same colors. I'll probably need to do some changes on the palette lump too.

Uhh.. maybe I could post some update. As usual, I've not been very satisfied with my character models or their textures, and I have made a new character. Actually there was one character between this and that, which I was able to animate and put ingame, but somethings in it just kept bugging me.

I've also made some weapon models, but then I thought I need to do them a bit more fantasy like and not so high tech scifi plastic weapons that shoot million bullets per second and destroy everything they touch. Not that I really was going to make that kind of weapon.

Well then, the new character with a pistol:

old character

Closer look to the pistol:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/wip/pistol_002.jpg

And some armor/shield pickup models:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/wraqbysm/images/armorshield-items#imagebox

Oh and I've also thought of changing the name of this mod, but I don't know yet what it could be...

I've made some progress on the modeling. I think they're starting to look like something I can be happy about.

The player character model is like complete, texture and animations not so much complete. I thought I'd make some weapons, so I could instantly animate it with some weapons. So far I've made a cannon, a chakram and a bow. I've thought to make two more weapons: a sword and a shield. Although I might think of something else than the shield...

My longer term plan is to work 2 months on the models, graphics and sounds, then 1 month on the levels, coding and testing.. and then release some kind of demo.