Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hex11

weird texture usage in phobos-v.wad

There's a bunch of tutti-fruti in phobos-v.wad E1M3 while playing with Chocolate Doom. I verified that it doesn't contain any TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2 lumps, so this is something new to me.

Here's what the donut area looks like with Freedoom:

With the official IWAD, it looks like this:

Another shot from below:

For reference, here is the map of that area. As you can see, both sides of the highlighted line reference sector 89... I don't know if that is the issue, or if it's the fact that the STEP3 texture dimensions are 32x16 in Freedoom, whereas they are 32x8 in the official IWAD.

With prboom, it looks okay, but that doesn't say much since this is a vanilla map.

In Vanilla you get tutti-frutti if you have a mid-texture on a two-sided line and the texture used has more than one patch. It looks like that's probably what's happening here - the Doom version of STEP3 is 32x8 and has a single patch, while Freedoom's version is 32x16 and uses two patches to cover the extra area.

EDIT: STEP1, STEP2 and STEP3 are 32x16 (two patch) in doom2.wad, but 32x8 (single patch) in doom.wad. It looks like when Id did doom2.wad they "upgraded" the texture by doubling the height.

Here are the definitions for these textures in texture1.txt:

STEP1                   32      16
*         STEP04                0       0
*         STEP05                0       8
STEP2                   32      16
*         SW11_4                0       -112
*         STEP03                0       0
STEP3                   32      16
*         STEP05                0       8
*         STEP05                0       0
I've thought about possible solutions to this problem, but it's trickier than it looks:
  • Make STEP1-3 32x8, as in doom.wad - breaks Doom 2 levels which assume the texture is 32x16.
  • Keep them as 32x16 as in doom2.wad - breaks Doom 1 levels which assume it's a single-patch texture (as in this bug report)
  • Squash down the textures to single-patch textures, and make the patches larger - eg. make STEP3 a single patch texture, but make STEP05 be 32x16. Unfortunately this will break add-on WADs which replace TEXTURE1 and assume the patches are a particular size.
  • Squash these textures down to single-patch 32x16 textures, and add new patches for them. For example, STEP1 could depend on a patch called XXSTEP1. Keep the old patches for compatibility with PWADs that replace TEXTURE1.
  • Modify the build so that TEXTURE1 is built differently for the Doom 1 / Doom 2 builds.

fraggle: thanks, I pushed that out to savannah, not sure why you didn't just do so yourself :)

Thanks for fixing the textures! I downloaded the daily build IWAD and it looks good. Only problem now is that map seems prone to VPO, as it crashed several times on me in different spots. :( I guess that's the problem with some of these remakes where the author tries to modernize the look and goes a little overboard sometimes.

hex11 said:

Thanks for fixing the textures! I downloaded the daily build IWAD and it looks good. Only problem now is that map seems prone to VPO, as it crashed several times on me in different spots. :( I guess that's the problem with some of these remakes where the author tries to modernize the look and goes a little overboard sometimes.

I guess you aren't using a limit removing port?